Playoff Watch | Page 4 | Vital Football

Playoff Watch

I'd be surprised if it takes 79pts to make the playoffs. For the last 9 seasons, 74pts has been enough to make the playoffs (although the year before that it was 80pts).

Working backwards from 2 seasons ago (not counting last season due to it being cut short, the points total for the team finishing 6th was:

73, 71, 73, 74, 69, 74, 74, 73, 71

I reckon 75pts would see us make it. Trouble is that means 5 wins and 2 draws (or 6 wins) from our last 7 games.

And ideally we'd need to make sure we beat direct rivals like Blackpool and Oxford.

Agree. I think our playoff chance is outside at best. However, I was thinking with 7 games to go, we need to win 5 - including must wins v Blackpool and Oxford (anything less is double points lost effectively). We can probably afford one loss and a draw. I’d expect the loss to be against Posh away. And that would give us 74 points, so near your 75. Very, very tough, but if our firm holds, who knows?

Can’t see us doing well tomorrow that’s how I build myself up for a game. Any point / points gained is a bonus for me.

playoffs are an outside chance but fuck me am I enjoying the ride.

I really cannot remember such a positive season for such a long time COYGiiiillllssss

Agree. I think our playoff chance is outside at best. However, I was thinking with 7 games to go, we need to win 5 - including must wins v Blackpool and Oxford (anything less is double points lost effectively). We can probably afford one loss and a draw. I’d expect the loss to be against Posh away. And that would give us 74 points, so near your 75. Very, very tough, but if our firm holds, who knows?
Definitely tough but not impossible. If the team go into the Blackpool match with the attitude let's give it a right go .No pressure because it is probably out of reach. Blackpool might feel they have to win that could be to our advantage. Let the other teams feel the pressure is on them .Let the lads give it a go.Maybe just maybe being where we are on games played could work to our advantage if teams start feeling fatigued and pressured. Evans seems a shrewd operator I think he will know how to play it.He has definitely picked up the pace in recent weeks.
As Nelson Mandela said "It always seems impossible until it is done".

At last a sense of realism on this topic. We have no chance of making the playoffs. If by some miracle we do I have Elena's full permission to post one of her bikini photo shoot photos on this forum. Neither of us think it will happen!
The dream is over and Elena's bikini is packed away.

I don’t think play-offs can be completely ruled out but to reach them would require an exceptional level of performance consistently sustained over a much greater period than we have achieved all year.

Sadly whenever success has looked achievable this year it has proved to be a case of flattering to deceive.

League one is starting to take shape for next season.
Wycombe
Sheffield Wednesday
and one from Rotherham,Derby,Birmingham and Coventry
Gillingham will be joined by
MK Don's
Accrington
Fleetwood
Crewe
Plymouth
Burton
Shrewsbury
And seven of the next eight teams
Sunderland
Lincoln
Blackpool
Oxford
Portsmouth
Charlton
Ipswich
Doncaster
Two from
Wimbledon,Wigan,Northampton,Rochdale,Bristol Rovers and Swindon
Starting to look like Wimbledon and Wigan.
3 or 4 from
Cambridge
Cheltenham
Bolton
Morecambe
Tranmere
Forest Green
Plus possibly one from
Newport,Exeter,Orient,Carlisle,Salford,Crawley and Bradford.
There are other mathematical possibilities but this is the probable out come.

League one is starting to take shape for next season.
Wycombe
Sheffield Wednesday
and one from Rotherham,Derby,Birmingham and Coventry
Gillingham will be joined by
MK Don's
Accrington
Fleetwood
Crewe
Plymouth
Burton
Shrewsbury
And seven of the next eight teams
Sunderland
Lincoln
Blackpool
Oxford
Portsmouth
Charlton
Ipswich
Doncaster
Two from
Wimbledon,Wigan,Northampton,Rochdale,Bristol Rovers and Swindon
Starting to look like Wimbledon and Wigan.
3 or 4 from
Cambridge
Cheltenham
Bolton
Morecambe
Tranmere
Forest Green
Plus possibly one from
Newport,Exeter,Orient,Carlisle,Salford,Crawley and Bradford.
There are other mathematical possibilities but this is the probable out come.
Thanks Einstein !!