Paul Cook Gone | Vital Football

Paul Cook Gone

ZAKKY

Vital Football Hero
Wigan Athletic boss Paul Cook has resigned from his position with the financially troubled club.

The 53-year-old was appointed in 2017 and led the Latics to promotion back to the Championship in his first season.

Wigan, who won 10 of their last 18 games in 2019-20, were relegated on 22 July after a 12-point deduction for entering administration - a sanction that the club is appealing against.

"It is with a heavy heart that I have decided to leave," said Cook.

"It is well publicised that the club is going through an incredibly challenging period and, of course, we are all hoping a positive outcome can be found so this football club can write its next chapter under new ownership.

"That has to be the main priority for everyone involved and I know the administrators are working hard to ensure the club can get through these difficult times and find new owners."

Really sad news but I guess it was always coming. He’s progressed and grown as a manager and shown what he can do when he has time to build his squad. Best of luck Paul

Reaction from a Pompy fan, interesting

I hope he gets another job soon, as long as it’s not here.

His football is too elaborate for me, never use one pass when two dozen will do.

I long for an attack minded manager who values forwards and entertainment.

Cook was midfield obsessed, Jackett is defence obsessed, we need a breath of fresh air ffs.
IP: Logged
foreverblue62 10:26

Reaction from a Pompy fan, interesting

I hope he gets another job soon, as long as it’s not here.

His football is too elaborate for me, never use one pass when two dozen will do.

I long for an attack minded manager who values forwards and entertainment.

Cook was midfield obsessed, Jackett is defence obsessed, we need a breath of fresh air ffs.
IP: Logged
foreverblue62 10:26
Hopefully one who plays with a winger.

Oversaw the toughest period of the clubs history and did so with dignity and passion. We have no local lads in our team yet as a manager he pulled them together to give their all for the club and the town. He also grew massively in his time with us - from the red faced, anger management issued coach to a more refined, humble and intelligent tactician. I wish him all the best in the future, however he has Latics blood, which is a very special kind and might not always warm him to others, so I hope he takes the time to choose his next club

As long as there's compensation either from him paying up his contract or a new club paying the club compo then I doff my cap to him and wish him well
He's produced some turgid football at times but handled himself during the admin like a trooper
That's very true but that turgid shite cost us many points this season before he woke up and had no choice but to try and play a more attacking game.
There better bloody be compensation from somewhere.

Good luck to him, he has given us massive highs and lows during his tenure but overall it was successful with a L1 title, FA Cup run and mid table championship finish two years running. The most "stability" we have had in years. However I still feel a bit let down by him jumping ship at this moment in time with the turmoil we are in.
There are reasons behind this, which will possibly only come out at some time in the future, can't help believing that the appeal didn't go well yesterday and that is the prime reason fro him leaving now.

Good luck to him, he has given us massive highs and lows during his tenure but overall it was successful with a L1 title, FA Cup run and mid table championship finish two years running. The most "stability" we have had in years. However I still feel a bit let down by him jumping ship at this moment in time with the turmoil we are in.
There are reasons behind this, which will possibly only come out at some time in the future, can't help believing that the appeal didn't go well yesterday and that is the prime reason fro him leaving now.
Suppose it's a wage off the books but the admin had said they weren't letting him go.
Highlight was definitely that amazing cup run and closely followed by this year's great escape. (Denied)

He was trying to resign before the appeal so will have nothing to do with the outcome. His stock is high, his team ripped apart, no prospect of recruiting a similar one. For his own career prospects he’s better off going. It’s an unforgiving situation. We move on.

I'll defer my judgement until I know more detail. If he's negotiated on our behalf then fair play but if he's doing stuff for the benefit of any prospective new employers and screwing us then he
can just do one.

Don't know yet.

He was trying to resign before the appeal so will have nothing to do with the outcome. His stock is high, his team ripped apart, no prospect of recruiting a similar one. For his own career prospects he’s better off going. It’s an unforgiving situation. We move on.
It's a tough League. If he stays in the Championship it will be with an amazing club. He's bulled everyone of them up over the last two seasons.