Paul Cook Gone | Page 4 | Vital Football

Paul Cook Gone

6m in L1 is still pretty big. When you break it down it would be something approaching 4-5k a week for a squad of 25. Obviously there would be more to it than that but I think that is a very reasonable figure.

Average wage in L1 supposedly 2k. So we'd still likely be one of the bigger wage bills and with TV money being down from 6m to 1m it is still likely to see us spending more than revenue before player sales.

There will likely be a £2.5m wages cap for next season 06 so once you have offloaded you’re high earners, unless of course your new owners can afford to carry them, wages should be the least of the clubs worries.

What does "Punching above our weight really mean" We had a rich owner but so did plenty more clubs .

What has the year he got a season ticket matter some people never buy a season ticket but still go every game

Spot on Zakky, i'll answer him anyway he must have some sort of motive, I watched Latics on and off since the 80's due to work commitments back then i could only get to games every few weeks.

I bought my first season ticket around 1999/2000, so a good 20 years, why?

There will likely be a £2.5m wages cap for next season 06 so once you have offloaded you’re high earners, unless of course your new owners can afford to carry them, wages should be the least of the clubs worries.
Hopefully championship next! But I don't see that happening, clubs getting relegated from the championship are going to have to dismantle their whole squad each season, and clubs really start to turn greedy once there a league away from the prem.

As I have referenced more than once :

Based on our revenues (gate receipts , income) in my opinion we have only competed in comparison with other clubs within our league at the third tier.

I asked how long had he been a season ticket holder as I wondered (and I'm right) if he was one of the ones that jumped on the Whelan band wagon and had never experienced the bad times (and they were grim!)

Let's not forget the hundreds of currently out of co tract footballers released over the past few months.
It will be a buyers market in terms of contracts and wages going forwards.
Outside the prem players will have to cut cloth accordingly as well.
Players previously earning 10k pw may have to "settle" for "only" 2k pa next season or end up with nothing.
That means a competitive squad will cost significantly less than last season in the championship as well as L1.
If you think that through selling every player on a retained contract could be a sensible option

I asked how long had he been a season ticket holder as I wondered (and I'm right) if he was one of the ones that jumped on the Whelan band wagon and had never experienced the bad times (and they were grim!)

Whelan band wagon? Don't think so, i've just explained why i didn't buy a season ticket pre 1999/2000, i changed jobs in 1999 with hardly any weekend work so worth getting a season ticket, i'll be getting one next season whatever happens or whatever the outcome of the appeal/owners.

As I have referenced more than once :

Based on our revenues (gate receipts , income) in my opinion we have only competed in comparison with other clubs within our league at the third tier.

Being a bit disingenuous to Norm there Sid, regardless of how long ANYONE has been going & tbf he's saying 20+ years why does that make him 'Whelan band wagon jumper'......20 odd years is a very very long band wagon to jump on.....plus as someone has already pointed out not everyone who has been going prior to DW taking the helm have been season ticket holders. Let's not start slagging off fellow supporters for the length of time they've been supporting the club....we need ALL the supporters we can muster tbh....

Being a bit disingenuous to Norm there Sid, regardless of how long ANYONE has been going & tbf he's saying 20+ years why does that make him 'Whelan band wagon jumper'......20 odd years is a very very long band wagon to jump on.....plus as someone has already pointed out not everyone who has been going prior to DW taking the helm have been season ticket holders. Let's not start slagging off fellow supporters for the length of time they've been supporting the club....we need ALL the supporters we can muster tbh....

He's a proper supporter, I'm just causing a bit of close season mischief in trying to wind him up.

Whelan band wagon? Don't think so, i've just explained why i didn't buy a season ticket pre 1999/2000, i changed jobs in 1999 with hardly any weekend work so worth getting a season ticket, i'll be getting one next season whatever happens or whatever the outcome of the appeal/owners.

Thanks for the response.

As Jock says we're going to need as much support as possible.

Let's not forget the hundreds of currently out of co tract footballers released over the past few months.
It will be a buyers market in terms of contracts and wages going forwards.
Outside the prem players will have to cut cloth accordingly as well.
Players previously earning 10k pw may have to "settle" for "only" 2k pa next season or end up with nothing.
That means a competitive squad will cost significantly less than last season in the championship as well as L1.
If you think that through selling every player on a retained contract could be a sensible option

As much as this current footballing crisis is a total pain in the arse & as galling the situation we are in is, I really do hope that football in general has a long serious hard look at footballers wages and the impact it will have on a fair few more clubs going to the wall. It would certainly be a positive to take from all this if it brought about serious negotiations and lasting change.....however the cynic in me doubts this very much. As I've said loads of time until one of the big 4 go bust them absolute zero will be done....

"Cook admitted he was close to resigning two days before the Fulham game - the last of the season - after being informed a fee had been agreed by the administrators to sell Kieffer Moore to QPR, without his consent."

This surprised me that he would have even considered walking away two days before our biggest league match for some time.

"Cook admitted he was close to resigning two days before the Fulham game - the last of the season - after being informed a fee had been agreed by the administrators to sell Kieffer Moore to QPR, without his consent."

This surprised me that he would have even considered walking away two days before our biggest league match for some time.

Can't say it surprised me Sid. I think that any manager would have had to question their loyalty to a club that took an offer for their main striker two days before the biggest game of this season and probably our lives.

The fact that they made it public knowledge and in doing so probably turned Moores head would upset most managers. At the time he was trying his hardest to ensure the safety of the club the admins kicked him in the bollocks and then ground their heels in. As I say "can't say it surprised me" one bit.

Can't say it surprised me Sid. I think that any manager would have had to question their loyalty to a club that took an offer for their main striker two days before the biggest game of this season and probably our lives.

The fact that they made it public knowledge and in doing so probably turned Moores head would upset most managers. At the time he was trying his hardest to ensure the safety of the club the admins kicked him in the bollocks and then ground their heels in. As I say "can't say it surprised me" one bit.
Did Cook say it was the Admins?

Agents and Journalists are good at breaking stories.

Regardless of who broke the story it was poor timing by anyone.

The point is that the admins should have had the decency to inform the manager prior to accepting the bid.
Which is what they publically stated they would do - first of many shoppers by these wrong uns