Only in America... | Page 38 | Vital Football

Only in America...

If Biden proves relatively competent with the economy, the Republicans will be fucked. There are enough "moderate" Republican voters who will switch sides if the economy is generally working.

The Republicans will then be left with the loons, right-wingnuts and fascists.

I thought that about the Tories two years ago.

I'm fascinated by the often repeated opinion that a Republican President is good for the economy and a Democratic President produces a downturn.

Over the last 40 years we had Reagan and then Bush, which ended in a massive recession. Followed up two Clinton terms which ended in a budget surplus. Then along comes Bush 2 and we have two terms that end in the mother of all recessions. Obama shows up for two terms and turns that ship around with pretty remarkable growth. Then that tosser Trump gets a crack at it where he rides the Obama economy for three years. During this time he massively increases the deficit due to a tax break to the top 1% and when hit with his first major challenge, COVID, completely balls it up so that once again the economy tanks under a Republican President.

So we will see what Biden does, but this pattern keeps repeating, and yet somehow a frequent misconception is that the economy is at risk with a Democrat in charge. How do I step off the reality ride?

I'm fascinated by the often repeated opinion that a Republican President is good for the economy and a Democratic President produces a downturn.

Over the last 40 years we had Reagan and then Bush, which ended in a massive recession. Followed up two Clinton terms which ended in a budget surplus. Then along comes Bush 2 and we have two terms that end in the mother of all recessions. Obama shows up for two terms and turns that ship around with pretty remarkable growth. Then that tosser Trump gets a crack at it where he rides the Obama economy for three years. During this time he massively increases the deficit due to a tax break to the top 1% and when hit with his first major challenge, COVID, completely balls it up so that once again the economy tanks under a Republican President.

So we will see what Biden does, but this pattern keeps repeating, and yet somehow a frequent misconception is that the economy is at risk with a Democrat in charge. How do I step off the reality ride?

LOL, we have that in the UK too. The Tories presided over major recessions in the early 70s, early 80s, early 90s and then austerity and COVID right now. Labour had the 'Winter of Discontent' (1978) and the 2008 crash. These still get dredged up now by the RWM, and apparently the 2008 crash was Labour's fault even though it was a global phenomenon.

Incredibly, public polling always shows the Tories are more trusted with the economy. It's an incredible feat of smoke and mirrors!

Another fascinating documentary series on Trump on BBC this week, definitely the gift that keeps on giving.
Some of my favourite bits, one of his first phone calls to Pres Hollande asking him who he should have in his cabinet and telling Macron that May & Merkel were losers.
He said to then Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt having seen him interviewed on Fox News, “ Great interview. I said to my team I don’t know who the hell he he is, but great interview”.
His team were described as the ‘adults in the room’ as they desperately tried to keep the US in NATO

American Imps, good luck at the next election. Let's hope Trump wins so that nobody else gets hurt if he doesn't. Inevitably mental.

Trump acquitted. America - and specifically the GOP - take another step towards fascism.

Last edited:
"After the vote, the senior Republican in Congress, Senator Mitch McConnell said Mr Trump was "responsible" for the assault on the Capitol and called it a "disgraceful, disgraceful dereliction of duty".
Earlier, he voted against conviction, saying it was unconstitutional now that Mr Trump was no longer president. Mr McConnell was instrumental in delaying Mr Trump's trial until after he left office, on 20 January
."

What a tool.

"After the vote, the senior Republican in Congress, Senator Mitch McConnell said Mr Trump was "responsible" for the assault on the Capitol and called it a "disgraceful, disgraceful dereliction of duty".
Earlier, he voted against conviction, saying it was unconstitutional now that Mr Trump was no longer president. Mr McConnell was instrumental in delaying Mr Trump's trial until after he left office, on 20 January
."

What a tool.

He's an absolute ****. But completely typical of the modern Republican party.

McConnell's comments were something else. He said Trump is totally guilty of everything levied at him, but he voted not guilty because the trial did not take place while Trump is President. The reason that the trial did not take place during the Trump presidency is because McConnell himself refused to bring back the Senate to conduct the trial.

An utter, utter shitbag devoid of a single redeeming quality.

Well Texas doing a good job of demonstrating what happens in a completely unfettered free market with no controls.

Only de-regulated part of power grid in the US.
Completely fails during a winter cold snap they are unprepared for..

Leads to:

and

The (now former?) mayor of Colorado Texas tweeted this during the current crisis

Food lines outside a grocery store, items limited by customer to 15 or less total

Meanwhile in Portland Oregon, astonishing lack of empathy...

Interesting that someone who can be presumed to be a committed capitalist, who therefore (presumably) supports the relationship between customers and suppliers, criticises customers when they complain that the services they're paying for aren't being provided

Interesting that someone who can be presumed to be a committed capitalist, who therefore (presumably) supports the relationship between customers and suppliers, criticises customers when they complain that the services they're paying for aren't being provided

Also interesting that Texas' first response to the crisis is to immediately go begging to the Federal government for some "aid". They seem mighty keen on those "government handouts for lazy, seflish commies" all of a sudden...

Also interesting that Texas' first response to the crisis is to immediately go begging to the Federal government for some "aid". They seem mighty keen on those "government handouts for lazy, seflish commies" all of a sudden...

A few weeks ago some Texans were banging on about seceding and existing as their own self-sustaining country. The same fuckers that want to deny hurricane relief on the East Coast are now calling out to the Federal Government for help.

My position is they should be helped, no questions asked, because the people of Texas need it. But remind the bastards of their hypocrisy at every election. I have huge sympathy for Texans who are hurting right now, but the Republican politicians who would see their own people suffer rather than abandon their twisted ideology - I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.