Only in America... | Page 37 | Vital Football

Only in America...

Well, we'll see. Enough Republicans didn't like what they saw to give the Democrats the Senate, including Georgia, for example.

But that isn't to say I underestimate the threat of right-wing populism. My point is, though, it almost always thrives on economic dysfunction.

Georgia went the Democrats almost entirely because of Stacey Abrams and the movement she inculcated to work alongside her over years

https://www.nbcnews.com/know-your-v...lection-star-can-she-turn-georgia-ncna1248104

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54875344

Georgia went the Democrats almost entirely because of Stacey Abrams and the movement she inculcated to work alongside her over years

https://www.nbcnews.com/know-your-v...lection-star-can-she-turn-georgia-ncna1248104

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54875344

That's really interesting, actually, and plays into the whole voter-supression efforts of the Republicans, I guess.

But even given that and the unprecedented partisan nature of US politics atm, I'm going to maintain there will be swing voters out there that Biden can win with economic competence.

I would make Stacey Abrams the head of a nationwide effort on the part of the DNC to get out the vote and adopt a 50 state strategy. Give her a budget and team to make this happen then get out of her way. But that's just me.

I would make Stacey Abrams the head of a nationwide effort on the part of the DNC to get out the vote and adopt a 50 state strategy. Give her a budget and team to make this happen then get out of her way. But that's just me.

Reading those articles posted by Sincilbanks, I would agree!

I'm always mildly baffled by the voter registration battles in the US. How hard can it be in the 21st century to organise elections and voter rolls?

If Biden proves relatively competent with the economy, the Republicans will be fucked. There are enough "moderate" Republican voters who will switch sides if the economy is generally working.

The Republicans will then be left with the loons, right-wingnuts and fascists.

It should be a no brainer. A massive investment programme in infrastructure renewal (roads, railways, power stations, dams, etc.), a lot of it in 'rustbelt' states, would be a start, and it would create jobs. Sort of FDR for the 21st century.

On your second point, I'm a bit worried they already are!

But that isn't to say I underestimate the threat of right-wing populism. My point is, though, it almost always thrives on economic dysfunction.

This is a major problem across the west as we come out of Covid and the economic damage it has caused. Stand by for a doubling down of right wing populism and neo-fascism across western democracies - already evident BEFORE Covid. Biden will have his work cut out to prevent Trumpists winning in 2024. Le Pen will probably win in France next year. Etc.

This is a major problem across the west as we come out of Covid and the economic damage it has caused. Stand by for a doubling down of right wing populism and neo-fascism across western democracies - already evident BEFORE Covid. Biden will have his work cut out to prevent Trumpists winning in 2024. Le Pen will probably win in France next year. Etc.

Le Pen has been about to win in France for about 30 years. But yes, definitely on the rise. All fuelled by economic dysfunction, which is kind of my point.

The big questions are really about capitalism, not democracy, per se.

Marx wasn't far wrong on suggesting that the economic base determines the social and political superstructure.

I'm always mildly baffled by the voter registration battles in the US. How hard can it be in the 21st century to organise elections and voter rolls?

I think it was Tip O'Neill that said "all politics is local" - if not him someone else. It's very true in the US, but Stacey Abrams showed that with the will and understanding of local realities it can be done. It's often a fight and in some places voter suppression has been engrained for generations. But you are right to point out that organisation has never been as possible as it is now with the potential of communication through multiple media formats. Who shapes the message will win this battle I think.

Le Pen has been about to win in France for about 30 years. But yes, definitely on the rise. All fuelled by economic dysfunction, which is kind of my point.

The big questions are really about capitalism, not democracy, per se.

Marx wasn't far wrong on suggesting that the economic base determines the social and political superstructure.

This is Biden's needle to thread. Democrats can boost a modern economy - Obama and Clinton showed that. But can they in the way FDR did for the poor and rural? This is the current failing of capitalism, and if it cannot be resolved, then a smarter dictator than Trump will end the American experiment with democracy.

But the fact remains, Biden gets re-elected not by significantly persuading Republicans to vote Democrat but by persuading more Democratic voters that their vote counts and they need to exercise it on election day...

But the fact remains, Biden gets re-elected not by significantly persuading Republicans to vote Democrat but by persuading more Democratic voters that their vote counts and they need to exercise it on election day...

And I guess if both parties get *all* possible voters out the only option would be the swing voters. But I think you're right, it seems that traditionally "getting the vote out" is pretty important in the US.

I genuinely don't know if the same is true over here, but I suspect not to same extent given "Red Wall" shenanigans, etc.

And I guess if both parties get *all* possible voters out the only option would be the swing voters. But I think you're right, it seems that traditionally "getting the vote out" is pretty important in the US.

I genuinely don't know if the same is true over here, but I suspect not to same extent given "Red Wall" shenanigans, etc.

More accurately, "getting the vote out" really only matters in the battleground states. "getting the vote out for either the Republicans or Democrats in, say, California is a net waste of effort and money...

More accurately, "getting the vote out" really only matters in the battleground states. "getting the vote out for either the Republicans or Democrats in, say, California is a net waste of effort and money...

It matters in California, but just not as much for Presidential or other state-wide elections. If California, , Washington, Oregon, NY etc, can turn red districts blue they cement their hold on the House. As well as making inroads in districts in red states. It's also why gerrymandering is such an important issue, but not for state-wide elections where it is irrelevant. I frequently see people talking about gerrymandering when discussing the rise of Trump, but it has no bearing over who occupies the White House.

I hope those that voted Republican - like Impalaska - are proud that they have helped murder half a million US citizens in the coronavirus epidemic. Well done. You were warned. On your conscience be it. If you have one.

Republicans are great at voter suppression. That's how.

I
Worth noting that Biden has said he is NOT running for a second term. At least, that's what he said a few months ago.