Only in America... | Page 36 | Vital Football

Only in America...

There's a terrific clip of her interrogating congress on how corrupt it is possible to be while running for office

Fantastic - should be required viewing in every school in America.

Sadly though, if it was, I think half the population would use it as a blueprint to engage in corruption, rather than as a precursor to political reform.

Who in their right mind votes for this kind of moron? Never mind the beliefs being ridiculous, she struggles to string words together to display them!

Who in their right mind votes for this kind of moron? Never mind the beliefs being ridiculous, she struggles to string words together to display them!

The first rule of demagogues is to keep the population ignorant.

And, btw, we see that with our own state education system.

Of course, the private system is not controlled in the same way and, strangely, controls our political system. Eton, Harrow, etc.

Go figure.

Sadly a lot of people in her district are poor, white, angry, and grasping at straws. Trump's rhetoric was geared towards those exact people and MTG is following in his footsteps.

Her district also voted 75% in favor of Trump...so you can see why they voted for her.

I think (hope) this is going to break up the Republican Party from the inside. This level of lunacy just cannot be sustainable in the long run, and the party of Eisenhower, hell even Nixon, just doesn't exist anymore. I think there is room for sane conversations about fiscal conservatism and what are the reasonable limits on social programming costs, even if I may disagree with those positions. But this level of nutjobbery exists simply to divide and gather together groups of people who hate the same groups of people (usually, but not exclusively, black and brown people).

Last edited:
I think (hope) this is going to break up the Republican Party from the inside. This level of lunacy just cannot be sustainable in the long run, and the party of Eisenhower, hell even Nixon, just doesn't exist anymore. I think there is room for sane conversations about fiscal conservatism and what are the reasonable limits on social programming costs, even if I may disagree with those positions. But this level of nutjobbery exists simply to divide and gaterh togetehr groups of people who hate the same groups of people (usually, but not exclusively black and brown people).

I imagine if you presented Nixon's legislative programme to the 2021 Republicans they would probably think he was a communist.

I imagine if you presented Nixon's legislative programme to the 2021 Republicans they would probably think he was a communist.

True - That Nixon is so far to the left of this current crop is unbelievable. I don't really think they stand for much of anything meaningful though, and there are even a few religious whackos, that appear to want to usher in the end times.

I'm not a fan of Romney, Murkowski, or Susan "Now I'm concerned " Collins, but the country can move forward with their Republican Party as the alternative viewpoint to the Democrats. Trumpism is a one-way ticket to a scientific dystopia, and sadly, a lot of Americans take a look at that train and say to themselves "all aboard".

One of Nixons platforms when he was elected was (I kid you not) a Universal Basic Income in all but name...

Last edited:
I think (hope) this is going to break up the Republican Party from the inside. This level of lunacy just cannot be sustainable in the long run, and the party of Eisenhower, hell even Nixon, just doesn't exist anymore. I think there is room for sane conversations about fiscal conservatism and what are the reasonable limits on social programming costs, even if I may disagree with those positions. But this level of nutjobbery exists simply to divide and gather together groups of people who hate the same groups of people (usually, but not exclusively, black and brown people).

The problem is that the Republican party is still wedded to the idea of keeping Trumps base as voting Republican, which means as that element of his base lurches towards a more extreme and jaundiced viewpoint of the way democracy works in the US it becomes harder and harder to dance the fine line between keeping them onside and not losing their rich, lobbying businessmen who believe they are paying millions to ensure policy is made in their favour.

The party has lost several rich benefactors already and the Lincoln Project with their nous and experience are busy holing the party below the waterline from within..

If Biden proves relatively competent with the economy, the Republicans will be fucked. There are enough "moderate" Republican voters who will switch sides if the economy is generally working.

The Republicans will then be left with the loons, right-wingnuts and fascists.

If Biden proves relatively competent with the economy, the Republicans will be fucked. There are enough "moderate" Republican voters who will switch sides if the economy is generally working.

The Republicans will then be left with the loons, right-wingnuts and fascists.

It really doesn't work like that mate...the next election in four years is going to be on a knife edge again unless more people like Stacey Abrams get out and motivate the demographic that the Democrats appeal to to actually go and vote...

It really doesn't work like that mate...the next election in four years is going to be on a knife edge again unless more people like Stacey Abrams get out and motivate the demographic that the Democrats appeal to to actually go and vote...

Well, we'll see. Enough Republicans didn't like what they saw to give the Democrats the Senate, including Georgia, for example.

But that isn't to say I underestimate the threat of right-wing populism. My point is, though, it almost always thrives on economic dysfunction.