Oldest League Club in the world | Page 3 | Vital Football

Oldest League Club in the world

Whoever turns out to be the oldest club - my question is ‘who is the other one?’
Or did they just sit around playing with themselves...

I don't really get this. 'World's Oldest League Club'

Is the Conference not a league?

Perhaps its oldest professional league club? But surely Notts will still be professional?

Perhaps the oldest club in a professional league? But I presume by now everyone in the Conference is professional?

Perhaps only the top four tiers count?

But then if that would be applied to somewhere like Germany, their fourth tier has about half a dozen leagues in it?

Can someone help me as to why the top four leagues can only be classified as a league, but the Conference for example cannot?

Can someone help me as to why the top four leagues can only be classified as a league, but the Conference for example cannot?

Think it's actually to do with the qualifications needed to work in that league. Uefa coaching badges & that sort of thing.

Don't need the same level of processional qualification to manage/coach in non-league football, hence the 'not professional' category.

You say confirmed, but the 1st line of the article reads The EFL are currently trying to validate claims that Nottingham Forest are now the Football League's oldest club.

Ok, the wording of that makes sense.

I've read/ heard World's Oldest League Club which for the pedantic reasons that I've given doesn't make sense!

There are 92 league clubs!! These 92 are the only ones who play in the league cup each year!! We are now the oldest of them 92 clubs!! Simple!!

Perhaps its oldest professional league club? But surely Notts will still be professional?

Perhaps the oldest club in a professional league? But I presume by now everyone in the Conference is professional?

But then if that would be applied to somewhere like Germany, their fourth tier has about half a dozen leagues in it?

In England we have always made a distinction between 'League' as in Football League and 'non-league', as in any leagues below the football league. Scotland also make this distinction.

I honestly don't know that any other countries have the same notional division. Most leagues have a top flight and second tier with regional, sometimes semi-pro divisions below that which become increasingly regional and amateur.

We might technically see everything down to Serie D as 'football league's in Italy, but I'm not sure if they make that distinction for example.

So it's a slightly made up title but hey, we aren't the ones who have been trading on it for decades.

If you wanted accuracy you could say forest are one of the oldest independent and continuous football clubs in the world. The oldest of which I think is Sheffield FC from 1857

County are shedding claims to fame faster than they shipped goals

No longer are the the oldest league club in the world and no longer are they the source of Juventus's strip: Juventus have changed their colours to white and black halves.

Apparently this is for the American market because over there they associate black and white stripes with referees.

Imagine. Over 120 years of history scrapped on the off chance a few yanks might be interested in 'soccer'

County are shedding claims to fame faster than they shipped goals

No longer are the the oldest league club in the world and no longer are they the source of Juventus's strip: Juventus have changed their colours to white and black halves.

Apparently this is for the American market because over there they associate black and white stripes with referees.

Imagine. Over 120 years of history scrapped on the off chance a few yanks might be interested in 'soccer'

The Juventus thing is a bit harsh. They are still playing in black and white. we always claim Arsenal play in red because of us, but their red shirts haven't looked like ours for years!

"The League" or EFL as it is better known, comprises of 72 clubs; add the 20 in the PL and you have your four divisions - 92 Clubs.

All 92 clubs need to have a Golden Share issued to compete in the Leagues; the Conference carries no such stipulation.

The conference is not part of the EFL but is the top level in the Pyramid which feeds in to the EFL.

"The League" or EFL as it is better known, comprises of 72 clubs; add the 20 in the PL and you have your four divisions - 92 Clubs.

All 92 clubs need to have a Golden Share issued to compete in the Leagues; the Conference carries no such stipulation.

The conference is not part of the EFL but is the top level in the Pyramid which feeds in to the EFL.

Golden Share? What's the difference between that and a Golden Shower?

Just reading that Notts are in a bit of trouble.

They have been in court this week with a WUP. Court has given them until July 10th to be sold. They have huge debts that are getting bigger.

A South African consortium want to buy, but their front man is in hospital currently awaiting a significant operation so that delays everything. Other groups want to buy but only for £1 from administration due to their debt size.

The club have only a handful of first team players left and kids. Only one centre half on the books. They can't realistically make any signings until this is solved, and that is unlikely until July. They won't have an idea of budgets until then. They have no training ground, having pissed off Basford Utd so may have to use Highfields.

On July 10th they will either be sold (if not before) or go into administration. Not sure what the conference penalties penalties for this are- a points deduction surely, and the National League tend to be a lot harsher in their penalties and will relegated clubs for bad finances.

Added to that, administration would restart the whole bidding process from scratch and mean any prep for the season starts even later.

Best case scenario is somehow the south Africans complete a sale in the next 2-3 weeks and that is possible as they have a meeting with Hardy on Monday. But even with that, Notts are favourites for the title with the bookies but their fans see keeping out of trouble this year as a major target.

Last edited:
Just reading that Notts are in a bit of trouble.

They have been in court this week with a WUP. Court has given them until July 10th to be sold. They have huge debts that are getting bigger.

A South African consortium want to buy, but their front man is in hospital currently awaiting a significant operation so that delays everything. Other groups want to buy but only for £1 from administration due to their debt size.

The club have only a handful of first team players left and kids. Only one centre half on the books. They can't realistically make any signings until this is solved, and that is unlikely until July. They won't have an idea of budgets until then. They have no training ground, having pissed off Basford Utd so may have to use Highfields.

On July 10th they will either be sold (if not before) or go into administration. Not sure what the conference penalties penalties for this are- a points deduction surely, and the National League tend to be a lot harsher in their penalties and will relegated clubs for bad finances.

Added to that, administration would restart the whole bidding process from scratch and mean any prep for the season starts even later.

Best case scenario is somehow the south Africans complete a sale in the next 2-3 weeks and that is possible as they have a meeting with Hardy on Monday. But even with that, Notts are favourites for the title with the bookies but their fans see keeping outbid trouble this year as a major target.

They're going down.