Old pics | Page 20 | Vital Football

Old pics

We got in but only with 25 minutes left on the Stretford end when they opened the gates early. Just in time to see Best score. Thousands of Blades roaming the street outside the ground. They were doing alterations to Old Trafford at the time capacity was reduced to 56,000. We were three away from getting in the other end but when the temporary wall started to move due to crowd pressure they closed the gates. If Hemsley hadn't been injured Best wouldn't have scored the goal they played on match of the day for the next 10 bloody years!
Must have been very close LST as I also got in right at the end.
The day a police horse scraped it's hoof down my heel and it started bleeding profusely.
Wandered up to the police on Warwick Road nd asked for some bandage to stop it.
They asked how I'd done it.
I said a horse had trodden on it.
They asked if it was a police horse (WTF I thought)
I said " No, we've all ridden over this morning"
They threw a plaster at me!!

Owd Trafford most Blades I've ever seen locked outside a ground...... Stretford End for our mob just like LST &TT ...... Ted would definitely have stopped George.

When the club took the decision to transform the ground into football use only in the 70s, I've often wondered if they considered (or why didn't they consider) rotating the pitch 90 degrees and slowly rebuilding around it. The pitch side could have been where the Kop end is now, which would have given more space to build larger stands.

When the club took the decision to transform the ground into football use only in the 70s, I've often wondered if they considered (or why didn't they consider) rotating the pitch 90 degrees and slowly rebuilding around it. The pitch side could have been where the Kop end is now, which would have given more space to build larger stands.

I think we took the cheap option. We don't have quite the same issues as Old Trafford, Anfield and St James Park, where the lack of space or railways has meant lopsided grounds. Ours is just that no-one thought it worth the money, i'm guessing.

Remember that we'd had the fourth side about ten minutes before we slipped into Div 4...

I think we took the cheap option. We don't have quite the same issues as Old Trafford, Anfield and St James Park, where the lack of space or railways has meant lopsided grounds. Ours is just that no-one thought it worth the money, i'm guessing.

Remember that we'd had the fourth side about ten minutes before we slipped into Div 4...
FKB, we had it since 1975 so about 5 seasons before the big (temporary) drop.

FKB, we had it since 1975 so about 5 seasons before the big (temporary) drop.

We did, but I suppose the point I was making was that there was no need to think about leaving it open to have a 60,000 capacity as we couldn't fill the ground as it was. In fact for a long time, the South Stand looked like the proverbial white elephant.