O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis. | Page 5 | Vital Football

O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis.

Hey Walt, IF you need things delivered there are several options in the UK including Amazon, Ocado and Alibaba.
Thanks 80 ,,don’t know how we ever survived without Amazon .Have used them for years . Wife needed to get to docs for other problems . Self prescribing now . Can’t be arsed with them all . Too much trouble trying to get past the receptionists who think they own the place and think we should discuss our health problems with them .

Thanks 80 ,,don’t know how we ever survived without Amazon .Have used them for years . Wife needed to get to docs for other problems . Self prescribing now . Can’t be arsed with them all . Too much trouble trying to get past the receptionists who think they own the place and think we should discuss our health problems with them .

Gotta be honest I wish we had Ocado here. Not having to go to the grocery store is a dream.

So we were just notified that the universities my boys are at are going to online courses for the rest of the year and they are sending everyone in residence home.

Which prompted my oldest son to text my wife and in his truly compassionate way of putting things he said "I hope your boomer remover tests come back negative".

Coronavirus: How herd instincts can help to limit the damage

new
Tom Whipple
, Science Editor

Friday March 13 2020, 5.00pm, The Times

We don’t think of ourselves as a herd. The idea of the needs of the collective subsuming those of the individual is antithetical to much of western culture. According to the government’s chief scientific adviser, we might have to reacquaint ourselves with the concept.
Because to control coronavirus, says Patrick Vallance, will require something called “herd immunity”. It will also require controlling who in the herd it is who gains that immunity.
Herd immunity is not achieved when everyone in Britain’s “herd” has been infected. It happens when a proportion of them have. That proportion is the second most important number in epidemic modelling. To see how it is calculated — and perhaps even changed — requires, however, understanding the most important number in epidemic modelling: R0.

e9b3ece1016813c758052db9e7d4057d.png

R0 is a measure of how infectious a disease is. If R0 is 2, say, then it means that every person infected goes on, on average, to infect two others. If it is 20, as is the case for measles, then each person infects 20 others.
R0 is important because so long as it is more than 1 — even if it is 1.000001 — a disease proliferates exponentially. If it is less than 1 — even if it is 0.9999999 — the disease is doomed.

Infection rates, though, are not fixed for eternity. Imagine a disease with an R0 of 2, which spreads through a single sneeze. At the start of an outbreak of this disease, you sneeze on two people and infect them. In the middle of an outbreak, it is different. Infected people still sneeze the same amount, but some of those downwind of the sneeze will have had the disease already and be immune.
Until the point comes where 50 per cent of the population have been infected. Then if you sneeze on two people on average only one will be susceptible. The infection rate has now dropped from 2 to 1 — and the disease dies out. Herd immunity has been achieved.
For coronavirus, R0 is 2.5. That means, in this simplified example, that for every 2.5 people you sneeze on you want 1.5 to already be immune. Herd immunity for coronavirus, then, is 1.5 divided by 2.5, or 60 per cent.
If indeed it is the government’s belief that the coronavirus cannot be stopped until we gain herd immunity, then that seems at least superficially to be an astonishing admission: an acceptance that more than 40 million people will get the disease. With even a 1 per cent fatality rate, that is 400,000 deaths.
There are good reasons to think it will be nowhere near that bad, and there is one good reason to think it could be worse.
One reason it will not be so bad is that the 60 per cent who get it need not be a random sample of the population. Instead, with sensible measures and “cocooning” of those most at risk, it may be possible to protect the elderly and sick even as the virus sweeps through the healthy.
The second reason is that the number R0 is just that — a number.
People are not equations and cannot be reduced to a single figure. It may well be the case that in 2019 Britain coronavirus had an R0 of 2.5. But in 2020 Britain, a Britain that has reacquainted itself with handwashing and deacquainted itself with air kissing, R0 could well be very different.
So what is the reason it could be worse? The entire calculation rests on the idea that people maintain their immunity, that once infected they cannot be reinfected for a long period of time. The problem is, as with so much about the virus, we don’t know enough to be absolutely certain that that is true.
What we do know though, is that individualism only goes so far. Coronavirus has reminded us we are indeed a herd — bonded by common obligations. For all the vagaries of disease modelling and complexities of viral mutation, scientists are unanimous on one piece of advice, among the most well-validated in modern medicine. To protect everyone, wash your hands.

So we were just notified that the universities my boys are at are going to online courses for the rest of the year and they are sending everyone in residence home.

Which prompted my oldest son to text my wife and in his truly compassionate way of putting things he said "I hope your boomer remover tests come back negative".

I made my lad laugh today on the phone by telling him that as us coffin dodgers were most at risk and were probably going to be last on the to do list if the S really HTF, I was now self identifying as a 25 year old woman , my colour is optional at the moment.

I made my lad laugh today on the phone by telling him that as us coffin dodgers were most at risk and were probably going to be last on the to do list if the S really HTF, I was now self identifying as a 25 year old woman , my colour is optional at the moment.

:rofl:

😂 Chiv you can't ever go anywhere mate. Real and funny at the same time a rare breed. 😆

I’ve just got a real bargain , well my wife did , she’s the clever one on tinternet, ........ two weeks self isolating in Spain . Bargain . Three hundred each , insurance was a tadge expensive, good flights though , extra leg AND arm room .

What will this mean for some clubs who are financially fragile ? Paying players wages with no gate money coming in ? Our players drawing their money each week will wipe out our transfer budget for the summer. You can see the club statement coming.....due to covid 19 and greedy players wages, there is no money left for transfers !!

Hope u r not on JET2NOTGO mate!
Must be really horrible for the people that HAVE booked holidays and have been looking forward to it for months . We would normally go away in May for my wife's birthday and September for my birthday , but because of my wife’s operation we didn’t book this year , , if it all changes ,although I doubt it , we will go away later this year . (If airlines and hotels are still in operation then) . This thing is causing more and more chaos which is affecting everyone in a thousand different ways . I read today that because many people are working from home , that some broadband services may not be able to cope with the extra pressures . Apparently some internet packages in use in Britain have been rated at 81st in the world and 23rd in Europe , using the old copper wiring .
. I’m definitely not using Jet2NotGo , we are staying as far away from airports as possible .