O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis. | Page 39 | Vital Football

O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis.

Synairgen shares surge on commencement of Coronavirus treatment trial

By UK Investor Magazine -
31/03/2020

Synairgen-681x452.jpg

Shares in Synairgen (LON:SNG) jumped on Tuesday after the UK-based biotech company announced it had commenced trails for a COVID-19 treatment.
The AIM listed company had begun trials for SNG001 which is an inhaled formulation of interferon-beta-1a, a protein impacted by COVID-19.
Interferon beta is a naturally occurring protein which drives the body’s natural antiviral responses.
The trial will initially involve 100 patients in a double blind test using a placebo.
Following the announcement, shares in Synairgen rose by 11% to 69p, valuing the company at £83 million.
Synairgen treatment
Evidence has shown a deficiency in Interferon beta production by the lung could be responsible for the severe lung problems COVID-19 patients are suffering.
Synairgen highlighted in a release that this was what made COVID-19 so dangerous for older people, those with diabetes and existing lung or heart problems.
The Synairgen treatment will help promote the bodie’s own immune system by promoting natural production of this protein.
Synairgen’s trial will commence in on trail site initially run by the University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust. There will be a further six sites commencing trial doses shortly.
Richard Marsden, CEO of Synairgen, commented:
“We are delighted to get this trial underway with the dosing of the first patient. The team has worked tirelessly and intensively with the relevant authorities and collaborators to get to this stage, and we now look forward to recruiting more patients and completing the trial as soon as possible. A successful outcome from this trial in COVID-19 patients would be a very important step towards a major breakthrough in the fight against this coronavirus pandemic.”
Synairgen have recently raised £14 million through a heavily oversubscribed placing of 40,000,000 shares to fund further expansion of their trials and research.
Synairgen is one of a number of UK-listed companies and hundreds globally that offer promise in the fight against COVID-19.
Novacyt has spear headed the UK effort to improve testing and has begun trails with Public Health England.
However, Synairgen offers a different proposition in a treatment for COVID-19, which if successful would be monumental for patient recovery rates.
Needless to say this would be a multi-billion pound development for Synairgen and could see shares at many multiples of current levels.
That's interesting because scientific to date has said the main problem is or own immune system overreacting to he virus...so something that stimulates it even more doesn't sound a good idea on the face of it.

Sadly, we have a hardcore of people that just don't live by societies norms, apart from lining them up and shooting them everytime you catch one, it will never be any different.

How depressing.

When this first kicked off there were reports of chavs offering to do old people's shopping, collecting the money then disappearing.

I said to the Mrs then , this scum were hardly upright citizens 3 days ago were they , they've always been *****.

I'd take this opportunity to cull them and do society a favour.

Interesting ideas coming out of the technology space. A proposal to use location services on phones to monitor where people go when they leave their homes. If they then subsequently have a positive COVID-19 test, the app can then inform other people who may have come close to you. It would be anonymous but would let you know that at a certain day you were in a shop and someone else who is now COIVID-19 positive. I'm guessing it would be a voluntary sign-up process.

Interesting ideas coming out of the technology space. A proposal to use location services on phones to monitor where people go when they leave their homes. If they then subsequently have a positive COVID-19 test, the app can then inform other people who may have come close to you. It would be anonymous but would let you know that at a certain day you were in a shop and someone else who is now COIVID-19 positive. I'm guessing it would be a voluntary sign-up process.

That is the intention, surprisingly, as I would have thought making it compulsory (although tough to enforce) would be the way to go?

The governments philosophy seems to be as follows. They (Jenny Harries) are basically saying that if you were a member of the public and could be tested positive in the community then you wouldn't be taking any different actions than not being tested. You'd still be self isolating and only seeking medical advice if the symptoms worsen. Therefore prioritise all testing in clinical facilities like hospitals and the front line workforce.

What's clear is that they feel that the eventual antigen tests will endorse the stats and inform on how many vaccines will be required. That feels like the piece that will be for community consumption.

It definitely feels like a long game that our government is playing based on a hybrid herd immunity / prevention approach. I just hope that as the weather improves and the novelty of social distancing wears off, the public maintain their discipline.

That is the intention, surprisingly, as I would have thought making it compulsory (although tough to enforce) would be the way to go?

With these things I always think about the carrot and stick as they used to call it. Reward not punish. Perhaps like getting cheaper car insurance if your car is fitted with a speed monitoring device. Driving adoption is everything in a society where you realistically can't mandate. Gamification rules apply.

With 79% of adults now using smart-phones, I'm assuming they would need to get the service providers to have slightly cheaper tariffs for keeping your sensor on. Perhaps they could tie it into a platform like Amazon where you can't get an antigen test unless you're recognised in the network through your smartphone. The FAANG companies and AI already know when we have a bio-break anyway :-)

It's going to be interesting to see how this rolls out.

Black Mirror

Nothing I have seen or heard yet convinces me that this isn't an hysterical over reaction, the figures are just not adding up and are still being presented in such a way that is intended to bamboozle rather than enlighten.

It is admitted that a high percentage of those with Covid -19 , maybe 80 % + are
asymptomatic, yet every single death recorded with Covid -19 in the system is being listed as caused by the virus, which is clear nonsense.

Nothing I have seen or heard yet convinces me that this isn't an hysterical over reaction, the figures are just not adding up and are still being presented in such a way that is intended to bamboozle rather than enlighten.

It is admitted that a high percentage of those with Covid -19 , maybe 80 % + are
asymptomatic, yet every single death recorded with Covid -19 in the system is being listed as caused by the virus, which is clear nonsense.
Yes. Sky News have a headline currently up - "Another 563 people have died in the UK after testing positive for coronavirus - bringing the total number of deaths to 2,352."

"Testing positive for COVID19" is a different statistic to "killed by it" or "overwhelmed by it".

Quite possibly 30 million in the UK could be tested positive for COVID19 by now.

theoretically if a person "Testing positive for COVID19" dies in a car crash, then they go into this pool of stats too.

Millions of people and many eminent scientists and doctors are well aware of these discrepancies, but the message isn't yet getting through, although the FT had a little go a couple of days ago.

this guy is good to read, especially his daily updates at the end of the paper

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

Yes. Sky News have a headline currently up - "Another 563 people have died in the UK after testing positive for coronavirus - bringing the total number of deaths to 2,352."

"Testing positive for COVID19" is a different statistic to "killed by it" or "overwhelmed by it".

Quite possibly 30 million in the UK could be tested positive for COVID19 by now.

theoretically if a person "Testing positive for COVID19" dies in a car crash, then they go into this pool of stats too.

Millions of people and many eminent scientists and doctors are well aware of these discrepancies, but the message isn't yet getting through, although the FT had a little go a couple of days ago.

I've become more and more sceptical about things as well.