O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis. | Page 38 | Vital Football

O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis.

Save the NHS was a politically bullshit campaign slogan and now we are emotionally manipulated to stay home with the exact same line.

When this is gone it would be used as an excuse to raise taxes.

£140 Billion a year and 1.5 Million employees make it the biggest health service in the world. If the NHS cant handle this then it needs a total rebuild.

Oh the media have made things worse no question about it. But the NHS is under massive pressure at the moment. My mates wife is a nurse and she say's it's 14-16 hour shifts 6 days a week.

Plenty of nurses and doctors have all came on TV saying similar things. They are being run into the ground and they do not have any of the correct PPE.

They are not using massive venues like the NEC for know reason mate.

I get it's been magnified by the obvious, but it's a real thing and people are dying from it. So we shouldn't be ignorant and ignore them facts.

Of course taxes will go through the roof, that would happen regardless. The economy will be destroyed for 50 plus years after this.

Yep the NHS is a mess has been for years. Before this carnage, trying to get an appointment where I live was virtually impossible. I don't bother anymore. They are beyond useless at my surgery.

Oh the media have made things worse no question about it. But the NHS is under massive pressure at the moment. My mates wife is a nurse and she say's it's 14-16 hour shifts 6 days a week.

Plenty of nurses and doctors have all came on TV saying similar things. They are being run into the ground and they do not have any of the correct PPE.

I get it's been magnified by the obvious, but it's a real thing and people are dying from it. So we shouldn't be ignorant and ignore them facts.

Of course taxes will go through the roof, that would happen regardless. The economy will be destroyed for 50 plus years after this.

Yep the NHS is a mess has been for years. Before this carnage, trying to get an appointment where I live was virtually impossible. I don't bother anymore. They are beyond useless at my surgery.

I was of course not referring to what they are confronted with now - that's a whole other issue that will need to be addressed in the glare of the public.

As of now most are pulling together and long may it remain that way, but I'm a cynic and know it won't.

As for it being overwhelmed and appointments being rocking horse shite, it should be no surprise to anyone when a government forecast that there would only be 100,000 people arriving and at most over 10 years, 500,000 migrants from the EU - when it ended up 6.5 million (which many think because it was so badly documented could be much higher) arrived and 90% or so settled here.

You can't expect a good outcome when you are totally unprepared and lied about the numbers for 10 years - which is what labour did.

Last edited:

I've got Talksport on ( Hawksbee and Jacobs are broadcasting from their living rooms God bless 'em, their show has never been sport heavy so business as usual ) and I just caught a snippet on the hourly news which said approx 25 % of health staff are out self isolating ?

Did I hear that right ?

I've got Talksport on ( Hawksbee and Jacobs are broadcasting from their living rooms God bless 'em, their show has never been sport heavy so business as usual ) and I just caught a snippet on the hourly news which said approx 25 % of health staff are out self isolating ?

Did I hear that right ?

It wouldn't surprise me, how many are genuine is another question, my sister in law was told to pick 20 murses for front line duty over those she controlled, 5 refused point blank and 5 immediately went into self-isolation, as of now I do not know from her what the other 10 have said.

Health staff are more worried than us and lots of them have young families.

I feel there's an element of no country leader wants to to be seen to not be following the herd mentality and are joining the panic bandwagon.
Agree. Journalists are also the same, and many people working in health are the same. i have found it very difficult to raise discrepancies in the herd storyline with intelligent professional people, because we are so invested in our own world views, and suffer confirmation bias whilst we accuse others of having it, and in fact our whole identity can be invested in peddling a certain kind of truth. we often don't question - where did i get this 'truth' from? i see a couple of YouTube videos of busy hospitals (NY, Italy). It's not compelling evidence for the apparent raging life-or-death battle that is shutting down the globe. January to March every year 170,000 people die in the UK, the majority old and from underlying conditions. Who knew?

finally today one of the mainstream media is questioning the statistics and conclusions and false narratives that are driving the herd - "The mystery of the true coronavirus death rate" in the FT. i can't put a link in here as it goes to a subscription page but you should be able to Google it.

Last edited:
Formula One's united front to fight ventilator shortage could be its finest hour

Mercedes, one of seven teams working to redress lack of equipment have already built dozens of Continuous Positive Airway Pressure devices

By Oliver Brown, Chief Sports Feature Writer 30 March 2020 • 5:22pm
Premium

TELEMMGLPICT000194259039_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqD102wHHf4eAV-huSF7GLmVi4WPmslgomTI94qXk12AI.jpegimwidth=480

Mercedes have reverse engineered a breathing aid to keep coronavirus patients out of intensive care Credit: Mark Thompson/Getty Images Sport

What might be perceived as a lost season for Formula One could yet emerge as one of the sport’s finest hours. Such is the warp speed of its response to the Covid-19 pandemic that world champions Mercedes, one of seven teams working to redress the country’s ventilator shortages, have already unveiled a breathing aid to keep coronavirus patients out of intensive care.
This type of feat – involving prototyping, regulatory approval and mass production – is one that would usually take years. But in extraordinary circumstances, it has been accomplished in just seven days.
For Mark Gillan, the co-ordinator of “Project Pitlane”, as F1’s reaction to the emergency is known, it is an unprecedented display of solidarity. For 14 years, he worked as a senior engineer at McLaren, Red Bull and Williams as the teams contrived devilish ways to outdo one another.
But today, as chief technology officer for Innovate UK, he chairs twice-daily video conferences from his offices on Victoria Embankment and sees only a united front to face the challenges of the moment.
“There is nobody better at reverse-engineering or at the rapid designing, developing and testing of complex systems as F1 teams,” Gillan tells The Telegraph. “When you bring this expertise together, it becomes a very significant resource. The work that Mercedes have done is testament to that. They passed regulations with their device very, very quickly. It has been a hugely positive step.”
Mercedes, working closely with clinicians at University College London Hospital (UCLH), have fashioned a solution faster than anyone imagined possible. In just a week, they have built dozens of Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) devices, which deliver oxygen to the lungs without requiring a ventilator.

Such equipment has successfully treated Covid-19 patients in China and Italy but is in short supply in the UK. Forty devices have been delivered to UCLH and three other London hospitals. If trials prove successful, Mercedes estimate that they can soon start producing 1,000 per day. Andy Cowell, managing director of Mercedes High Performance, says: “We have been proud to put our resources at the service of UCL, delivering this CPAP project to the highest standards and in the fastest possible timeframe.”
Project Pitlane is divided into three strands specific to the talents of the F1 industry: design, prototype manufacture, and skilled assembly. Work across all three will accelerate over the next fortnight, as F1 strives to ensure that the National Health Service has the technology it needs to deal with the peak of the coronavirus outbreak, expected in two to three weeks’ time.
“F1 loves to work with defined metrics, and we have a very clear plan for what needs to be achieved,” Gillan says. “We have update meetings with them throughout the day, and then a review session in the evening with the Government, who go through everything that has been learned. It’s a testament to teams’ attitude that in a period when their factories have shut down, they have all bound together.”
Although teams are in the middle of a mandatory 21-day shutdown, an order normally enforced only during the August break, sections of their factories have been turned over exclusively to efforts to combat Covid-19. Nowhere is the strangeness of the times more evident than at McLaren, who have relaxed their usual operating-theatre protocols in technical areas to allow staff to eat lunch at their stations.
TELEMMGLPICT000228768673_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwRMWbYwzrg_3PLcMwCu9G8U.jpegimwidth=480

The CPAP device has been successfully reverse engineered by the F1 team's scientists and engineers Credit: JAMES TYE/University College London (UCL)/AFP via Getty Images
Gillan, formerly Williams’ chief race engineer, first approached teams to help the national effort on March 15, within 48 hours of the Australian Grand Prix being cancelled. “There was an immediate positive reaction,” he says. “They were already thinking about what they could do.”
Engineers who would once have devoted all their energies to tweaking Lewis Hamilton’s steering wheel found themselves reassigned, almost overnight, to making a crucial contribution to the national effort. “With clinical advisors embedded in the process, it helps to focus the mind,” Gillan explains. “The transition by all the teams has been smooth. But that’s what I expect, because they are world leaders in taking designs, improving them, and moving at pace.”
Reverse-engineering is the area of expertise most specifically tailored to F1. In recent days, Mercedes’ finest minds have worked on dismantling an existing off-patent CPAP device, copying and improving the design, then adapting it for mass production. The effect of their intervention could be profound, with reports from Lombardy, the region of Italy most ravaged by Covid-19, indicating that half the patients given CPAP have avoided any need for invasive mechanical ventilation.
So acute are the time pressures that there are still vast challenges for F1 to overcome, not least in sourcing materials. But with Mercedes, Red Bull, McLaren, Renault, Racing Point, Haas and Williams all committing to the project, Gillan argues that the sport is equal to the challenge. “These teams, while they are extremely competitive, all know each other. There is a lot of flux of people between them, with many people moving teams. While some of the systems will be different, they have the same way of working. As a result, you can integrate them extremely quickly.”
Gillan, conscious of how high the stakes are, is wary of being too lavish in his acclaim just yet. “The next two or three weeks will be critical,” he says. “Only then can we give ourselves any pats on the back.” For now, suffice to say that it is perhaps the most memorable example of shared endeavour that he, or the sport he long served, has ever known.

Did I hear that right ?

Many are self isolating because they are scared. Hence why so many volunteers have stepped in.

I think if they are doing that they shouldn't be a nurse or doctor. I thought being a nurse or doctor was to help others under any circumstances?

Fair play to those that are doing just that. Some are even dying for the cause.

I see that in the US they are pushing the use of chloroquine and hydrox— chloroquine as treatment drugs...the FDA has approved their use for this purpose...they are existing drugs used for HIV treatment I think and although not a cure they do seem to reduce the amount of inflammation to manageable levels in many patients....not sure about my spellings here..

Doctors are being cautious about the effectiveness but apparently it is part of the Chinese standard protocol of treatment and in a limited trial in Marseille of 80 infected patients, one died and one is still in ICU but the other 78 are doing well...it seems in most cases it reduces the level of the infection to where the patients are no longer infectious and allows them to be moved to other wards in hospital for the remainder of their care.

Doctors around the world are awaiting the results from bigger clinical trials...haven’t heard anything about this over here.

I see that in the US they are pushing the use of chloroquine and hydrox— chloroquine as treatment drugs...the FDA has approved their use for this purpose...they are existing drugs used for HIV treatment I think and although not a cure they do seem to reduce the amount of inflammation to manageable levels in many patients....not sure about my spellings here..

Doctors are being cautious about the effectiveness but apparently it is part of the Chinese standard protocol of treatment and in a limited trial in Marseille of 80 infected patients, one died and one is still in ICU but the other 78 are doing well...it seems in most cases it reduces the level of the infection to where the patients are no longer infectious and allows them to be moved to other wards in hospital for the remainder of their care.

Doctors around the world are awaiting the results from bigger clinical trials...haven’t heard anything about this over here.

Yes, just seen the latest trial data (published two days ago) and absolutely suggests a big drop in the viral load;

It looks like we may have an effective intervention treatment, there are other trials being conducted elsewhere we data due within the next week to two weeks - this may well be a bit of a treatment breakthrough!

Fingers crossed!

Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2020 Mar 20:105949. doi: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2020.105949. [Epub ahead of print]
Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19: results of an open-label non-randomized clinical trial.
Gautret P1, Lagier JC2, Parola P1, Hoang VT3, Meddeb L4, Mailhe M4, Doudier B4, Courjon J5, Giordanengo V6, Vieira VE4, Dupont HT2, Honoré S7, Colson P2, Chabrière E2, La Scola B2, Rolain JM2, Brouqui P2, Raoult D8.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine have been found to be efficient on SARS-CoV-2, and reported to be efficient in Chinese COV-19 patients. We evaluate the role of hydroxychloroquine on respiratory viral loads.
PATIENTS AND METHODS:
French Confirmed COVID-19 patients were included in a single arm protocol from early March to March 16th, to receive 600mg of hydroxychloroquine daily and their viral load in nasopharyngeal swabs was tested daily in a hospital setting. Depending on their clinical presentation, azithromycin was added to the treatment. Untreated patients from another center and cases refusing the protocol were included as negative controls. Presence and absence of virus at Day6-post inclusion was considered the end point.
RESULTS:
Six patients were asymptomatic, 22 had upper respiratory tract infection symptoms and eight had lower respiratory tract infection symptoms. Twenty cases were treated in this study and showed a significant reduction of the viral carriage at D6-post inclusion compared to controls, and much lower average carrying duration than reported of untreated patients in the literature. Azithromycin added to hydroxychloroquine was significantly more efficient for virus elimination.
CONCLUSION:
Despite its small sample size our survey shows that hydroxychloroquine treatment is significantly associated with viral load reduction/disappearance in COVID-19 patients and its effect is reinforced by azithromycin.
Copyright © 2020. Published by Elsevier B.V.
KEYWORDS:
2019-nCoV; COVID-19; SARS-CoV-2; azithomycin; clinical trial; hydroxychloroquine
PMID: 32205204 DOI: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2020.105949

Pfizer reports safety data of azithromycin in Covid-19 trial

Visit our Covid-19 microsite for the latest coronavirus news, analysis and updates

Follow the latest updates of the outbreak on our timeline.
Pfizer has announced positive data for the use of its azithromycin (Zithromax) drug, along with hydroxychloroquine, in a coronavirus (Covid-19) clinical trial performed in France.
The trial was conducted to assess anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine in 20 patients, six of which were also administered with azithromycin.
Compared with 16 controls, the proportion of participants who achieved virologic cure following six days of treatments was observed to be higher in the 20 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine.
In addition, the rate of cure was highest in people who received hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin.
Pfizer previously assessed azithromycin as an anti-infective alone and also in combination with other therapies, including chloroquine.

A fixed-dose azithromycin and chloroquine combination was specifically evaluated to treat and prevent malaria in Africa. The combination was found to be well-tolerable and non-inferior to mefloquine.
A separate study in pregnant women in sub-Saharan Africa showed that the combination did not meet efficacy endpoints as a preventive treatment for malaria but demonstrated an acceptable safety profile.
Commenting on the data, Pfizer said: “It is important to note that the doses Pfizer has studied with the combination of azithromycin and chloroquine in malaria may have a different safety profile than the recently reported study combining azithromycin with hydroxychloroquine.
“Pfizer would like to highlight these published studies to facilitate further research efforts to study azithromycin in combination with other agents to mitigate Covid-19 disease.”
Earlier this month, Pfizer announced a five-point strategy to fight the outbreak.
Meanwhile, the company has delayed patient enrolment in new and ongoing trials for three weeks to cut the burden on healthcare facilities and doctors amid the spreading Covid-19 pandemic.
The move will not include some studies in patients with life-threatening conditions that have limited or no therapeutic options, noted Reuters.
Eli Lilly also announced plans to delay its clinical trial activities in the wake of the pandemic.

Many are self isolating because they are scared. Hence why so many volunteers have stepped in.

I think if they are doing that they shouldn't be a nurse or doctor. I thought being a nurse or doctor was to help others under any circumstances?

Fair play to those that are doing just that. Some are even dying for the cause.

The police on the other hand are hardly covering themselves in glory as usual.

Who would have thought some of them couldn't wait to start behaving like Nazis, apart from everyone ?

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/03/30/the-corona-cops-need-to-wind-their-necks-in/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...olice-step-away-Creme-Egg.html?login#comments

Priti Patel needs to make an immediate example of the Chief Constables of the forces who are behaving disgracefully by removing them from office, we the public really, really don't need this shit.

Synairgen shares surge on commencement of Coronavirus treatment trial

By UK Investor Magazine -
31/03/2020

Synairgen-681x452.jpg

Shares in Synairgen (LON:SNG) jumped on Tuesday after the UK-based biotech company announced it had commenced trails for a COVID-19 treatment.
The AIM listed company had begun trials for SNG001 which is an inhaled formulation of interferon-beta-1a, a protein impacted by COVID-19.
Interferon beta is a naturally occurring protein which drives the body’s natural antiviral responses.
The trial will initially involve 100 patients in a double blind test using a placebo.
Following the announcement, shares in Synairgen rose by 11% to 69p, valuing the company at £83 million.
Synairgen treatment
Evidence has shown a deficiency in Interferon beta production by the lung could be responsible for the severe lung problems COVID-19 patients are suffering.
Synairgen highlighted in a release that this was what made COVID-19 so dangerous for older people, those with diabetes and existing lung or heart problems.
The Synairgen treatment will help promote the bodie’s own immune system by promoting natural production of this protein.
Synairgen’s trial will commence in on trail site initially run by the University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust. There will be a further six sites commencing trial doses shortly.
Richard Marsden, CEO of Synairgen, commented:
“We are delighted to get this trial underway with the dosing of the first patient. The team has worked tirelessly and intensively with the relevant authorities and collaborators to get to this stage, and we now look forward to recruiting more patients and completing the trial as soon as possible. A successful outcome from this trial in COVID-19 patients would be a very important step towards a major breakthrough in the fight against this coronavirus pandemic.”
Synairgen have recently raised £14 million through a heavily oversubscribed placing of 40,000,000 shares to fund further expansion of their trials and research.
Synairgen is one of a number of UK-listed companies and hundreds globally that offer promise in the fight against COVID-19.
Novacyt has spear headed the UK effort to improve testing and has begun trails with Public Health England.
However, Synairgen offers a different proposition in a treatment for COVID-19, which if successful would be monumental for patient recovery rates.
Needless to say this would be a multi-billion pound development for Synairgen and could see shares at many multiples of current levels.

So news from the front line ghetto...
Fake (and stolen) NHS and other Social Service passes that allow workers early access to the supermarkets are being hawked around for decent money. Police have advised anyone not to have them on display unless necessary.
And
Local dealers and money lenders are now taking food vouchers (meant solely for children and families at risk) as an alternative to cash.

This news report from the sunnier side of England ends....

So news from the front line ghetto...
Fake (and stolen) NHS and other Social Service passes that allow workers early access to the supermarkets are being hawked around for decent money. Police have advised anyone not to have them on display unless necessary.
And
Local dealers and money lenders are now taking food vouchers (meant solely for children and families at risk) as an alternative to cash.

This news report from the sunnier side of England ends....

Sadly, we have a hardcore of people that just don't live by societies norms, apart from lining them up and shooting them everytime you catch one, it will never be any different.

How depressing.

Sadly, we have a hardcore of people that just don't live by societies norms, apart from lining them up and shooting them everytime you catch one, it will never be any different.

How depressing.
On the plus side a majority of the oiks are known in their local community these days and MASH hubs are surprisingly efficient even though are run by the public sector 😂 😂