Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Page 88 | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be astounded to see the Cowleys arrive, there are so many reasons against it. Not the least of which is Liam's interview last week.

The only reason would be their working relationship with Liam and Jez. Even then, if either of them cost us reappointing them it will be unforgivable in my opinion. Especially Jez.

The club is at major crossroads in terms of the goodwill of the fanbase. Next appointment goes wrong and we’ll be down to under 6000ish next season. We can’t afford a long transition in order to implement style of play.

The model is to bring in players and sell them on. Off the top of my head they sold Margetts, Raggett, Waterfall, Robinson, Toffolo, Woodyard while they were here. They’ve ticked that box with us already.

They’re at a stage in their careers where they can’t make demands over budgets, their reputation needs rebuilding. We need to make sure it’s with us.

The model is to bring in players and sell them on. Off the top of my head they sold Margetts, Raggett, Waterfall, Robinson, Toffolo, Woodyard while they were here. They’ve ticked that box with us already.
The Cowley's left in September 2019. Toffolo followed them in January 2020.

So Toffolo was signed under the Cowleys but not sold by them.

The only reason would be their working relationship with Liam and Jez. Even then, if either of them cost us reappointing them it will be unforgivable in my opinion. Especially Jez.

The ONLY reason could be....

...the haven't applied

....they don't want to move their families again

....they are such dead certs for success, they
have had lots of offers from the Championship

....there are better candidates

...when the recruitment process ended, the pin landed on another name....

who knows ...

Why set up a scenario where you want to blame Liam and Jez??

The ONLY reason could be....

...the haven't applied

....they don't want to move their families again

....they are such dead certs for success, they
have had lots of offers from the Championship

....there are better candidates

...when the recruitment process ended, the pin landed on another name....

who knows ...

Why set up a scenario where you want to blame Liam and Jez??
It's amazing to me how the Cowleys have gone from a pair of chancers who got lucky with the team they inherited and who shot off at the first opportunity leaving us in the lurch because we couldn't meet their inflated ambitions of only working with quality players and couldn't work within the model that Liam and Jez wanted to impose to becoming the second arrival of Christ come to cleanse the temple of all the fans dissatisfaction, leading us into the sunlit uplands of Neil Diamond, fist pumps and trophies ahoy.

The right appointment for this squad and the club is DC/NC.

The players are better than the negative, defensive rubbish Kennedy was serving up, however, they’re nowhere near the standard to play a possession based open and attacking game. These players need something in between.

Appoint Des Buckingham and we’ll go through a transitional period, similar to Appleton after DC/NC and this season will be a write-off.

Appoint Cowleys, the crowds will automatically surge, a wave of positivity will flow through the fanbase and everyone will be galvanised. We could maybe, just maybe, sneak into the playoffs.
Like Scotimp, I too would be astounded if the Cowleys return. There seems to be an understanding/assumption/conclusion that if they came back, everything in the garden would be rosy.
For sure, gates would improve. There would be a longer and more vociferous round of clapping and back slapping at the end. And many would really approve the appointment.
But what would happen if they didn't succeed, and we were in mid table mediocrity for ever (Portsmouth). How long would they be given before people came out with 'We should never have had them back' or 'Sack the manager'?
Would they be exempt from all that because they are legends here? I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I'll keep on saying it, I'm not a Cowleys hater, I just think that they came here previously at exactly the right time, had fantastic success, galvanised a city and football club, and had their personal fifteen minutes of fame, but no one can guarantee they can repeat that feat that was so amazing. Let's look at other options with a less preconceived idea that instant success from the brothers is a nailed on certainty, please.

If we make a list of all those llsted by the bookies add the names of the rest that have been rumoured on line etc. Put there names in a hat and pick one out at random we might just get the next managers name. Then again it isnt probably going to be anybody whom has been mentioned at all.
We will just have to wait and see!

Like Scotimp, I too would be astounded if the Cowleys return. There seems to be an understanding/assumption/conclusion that if they came back, everything in the garden would be rosy.
For sure, gates would improve. There would be a longer and more vociferous round of clapping and back slapping at the end. And many would really approve the appointment.
But what would happen if they didn't succeed, and we were in mid table mediocrity for ever (Portsmouth). How long would they be given before people came out with 'We should never have had them back' or 'Sack the manager'?
Would they be exempt from all that because they are legends here? I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I'll keep on saying it, I'm not a Cowleys hater, I just think that they came here previously at exactly the right time, had fantastic success, galvanised a city and football club, and had their personal fifteen minutes of fame, but no one can guarantee they can repeat that feat that was so amazing. Let's look at other options with a less preconceived idea that instant success from the brothers is a nailed on certainty, please.
I’m not by any means saying it’ll happen, or am even in the Cowley back camp. I do think though that ‘phase one‘ of their journey was completely different. They had less experience, different targets, everything was at a different development point in time, including every bit of the structure and organisation of the club. If they were to come back (and I have as much idea as anyone else out there about that) they would be a very different proposition to ‘Phase 1’. They have a lot more experience, the circumstances at the club are a lot different and the starting point/targets would be different. I have no idea if they could achieve success but they would certainly have better tools to handle the whole process. Other than that, I have no more idea than anyone else.

I would be surprised to see DC/NC back, but happy for them to give it a go. Likewise, just as happy for someone else, that the board feel qualified, to have a shot. Thinking about What If? scenarios in case a new hire fails seems pointless - no success is guaranteed.

The club is at major crossroads in terms of the goodwill of the fanbase. Next appointment goes wrong and we’ll be down to under 6000ish next season. We can’t afford a long transition in order to implement style of play.

They’re at a stage in their careers where they can’t make demands over budgets, their reputation needs rebuilding. We need to make sure it’s with us.
Here, hear!! Great post.

Last edited:
I hope I'm wrong, but I get the feeling we're going to announce an Interim Manager until the end of the season.
I don't think the Irish rumours were a Red Herring, but we probably got used in someone's Contract Extension Talks.
The "Surprise Applicants" may have had wage demands above our budget, which may have also applied to others we approached; a lot of clubs chasing a limited amount of Head Coaches/Managers.
Nearly four weeks later and we could be back at square one.

An Interim Manager may not be a bad thing, it could give someone an extended audition for the job; but the reason I opened with "I hope I'm wrong" is that we could end up being in limbo for the rest of this season, and we could have people (fans & players) become apathetic thinking we'll wait for the next person to come along.

and we were in mid table mediocrity for ever
I make no comment on potential managers, but that is an important comment ie expectation. There has been plenty of dialogue concerning bums on seats, so what will be the objectives on the next manager regarding league placings, and how that will be reflected in attendences?

This is my 66th season as an Imps supporter, and I have to say that seeing out my days in mid table mediocrity in League 1 would be quite an achievement from my point of view. To maintain ineterest there would need to be an entertaining brand of football played, and satisfaction in seeing some of "our" lads seeing career progression

However, I understand that many supporters, and perhaps the owners, have loftier and quicker ambitions, and if we made a push for the Championship, I would certainly jump on an enjoy the ride back to where it all started for me

Status
Not open for further replies.