Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Page 86 | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is purely conjecture and may well be bullshit.
But the fact that the club spent relatively heavily in the summer recruitment probably means we don't have a great amount to spend in January. Any new Manager coming in would probably be looking at recruiting players in January.
This may be putting off the likes of the Cowleys and others from coming to the club. If of course they have even been considered.
We desperately need a creative midfield player. Both Hamilton and Erhahon are defensive type players and not creative at all. Bishop probably the only one we have but just cannot maintain any fitness levels to play enough. Every team that comes to the Bank seem to have one and it always causes us trouble. Grant was the last one we had. Any prospective manager who has watched us would surely have identified this if they were any good. But they would cost decent money.
We can have all the forwards back but they still need chances created for them.

For those who didn't hear Tom Shaw on Radio Lincs after the game, he was very much talking like a man who knows he's managed his last game. Somebody is going to be appointed this week.

It looks like all the Irish guys are ruled out, I'm sure we would have heard something if the Cowleys had been in Lincoln, and Buckingham to Oxford seems more likely than him coming here. By process of elimination, who does that leave? It's pretty impressive that the club have managed to keep everything under wraps and it wouldn't surprise me if the new man is someone we haven't even considered. Surely we'll find out in the next few days.

Good point about how random rumour becomes truth. I also noticed that someone said Buckingham was lined up for the Celtic job earlier in this thread. A quick google gets this:

we even had Bradley and his wife spotted in bailgate!
I think that was Leam Richardson and his wife. That is actually feasible - he may have been checking the place out ahead of preliminaries but in no way does it suggest he is a contender.

The constant focus on bookmakers' odds is fascinating; that stance assumes they have information the public does not and ignores the purpose of bookmakers' odds. Considering the way Lincoln have gone about this process, I would be very surprised if anyone other than the directors actually knows anything at all.

I’m worried the club is going into a downward spiral as mentioned by someone else attendances are down, if you look on social media there was the biggest push I’ve seen in a few years for player sponsorships, match sponsorships, mascot packages etc I feel a lot of people are starting to get fed up and I sincerely hope it’s not going the way of pre relegation 3/4/5 at most thousand capacity’s this appointment is more important then any Clive has done in his tenure.
I think that is a massive over reaction. The push for sponsorship is down to costs going up as well as attendances reducing - some of which is down to people's personal costs, not just what is on offer and the seemingly endless search for a new first team coach,

No way have we played at the levels reached for the Charlton game. That game was part of the uplift of freeing the players from the football prison they were in under Kennedy and virtually always happens when players have been so oppressed.

Things have settled again now though and we are seeing that Shaw is also struggling to get a tune and motivate the players to raise their game. The players know that he's not going to be in charge much longer so they are, not deliberately, but physiologically not motivating themselves to play at the peak of their performance because they are waiting, like everyone to see who it is who's coming in and how it will affect them and their position at the club.

Whoever comes in will hopefully get that new manager bounce from the players but they are going to need to strengthen the squad in order for us to compete in the top half of this league because we just have to many like for like players in it who all do the same sort of thing...and we have got form on that sort of recruitment in the past, not saying they are bad players just that it doesn't work in a fully functioning team. You need different players and different types of players for all areas of the team.

I'm hoping the new manager gets rid of the 352 formation and goes to 442 or the variations around that formation. We need two proper fullbacks, Hamilton and Erhahan are good players in midfield but we need someone else in there with them and upfront is just full of cloned strikers as we were in midfield a few seasons ago and with Draper to come back off loan, Moylan to come in and House and Walker to come back as well as Makama and Adelakun you can't say we havnt got any strikers but we don't need that many who are mostly of the same ilk, we need someone who's a bit different to them who will allow us to play differently when we need to.

Also to free up money Bishop needs to be released at the earliest possible convenience, he's had his time, he is decent when he's on his game but he can't stay fit and is no good to anyone where he spends most of his time, on the treatment table. And Mandroiu for me is walking the tightrope. Talented in flashes as he is he has not performed consistently since he's been here and has showed signs of petulance under Kennedy and I didn't agree on an awful lot of what Kennedy said but on Mandroiu I agree with every word he said. He needs to knuckle down under the new manager, get his attitude right, stay out of the treatment room, which he seems to be in more and more, and concentrate on playing well and more importantly, consistently.
Your earlier point about making a squad of individual squad players work as a team unit makes a lot of sense. I am hoping the new fella is being brought in to address this.

Not so sure about the ‘too many similar players in the squad problem’ narrative you are now repeating. Do you really think Walker is the same type of player as house? Equally in light of the chaos produced by a lack of a house, is it not a good thing to have two similar players in a crucial position (house and, by your own eventual admission, moylan)?

on bishop and injuries, similar was highlighted with justification about jackson not being able to play Saturday-Tuesday. But to someone’s credit in the medical team (or maybe just Jackson’s credit) that seems to have been dealt with. Can the same method be applied to transform bishop’s fitness?

Not so sure about the ‘too many similar players in the squad problem’ narrative you are now repeating. Do you really think Walker is the same type of player as house? Equally in light of the chaos produced by a lack of a house, is it not a good thing to have two similar players in a crucial position (house and, by your own eventual admission, moylan)?
I agree, I am not sure the 'similar players' narrative is correct. House is a presser, Walker a more natural goalscorer, Hackett more a wide man, and regrettably I cannot see what Makama's strengths are. I would not say that Erhahon and Hamilton are similar either - Erhahon is more a defensive, holding midfielder while Hamilton is noticeably more dynamic and attack minded. How many shots has Hamilton had this season compared with Erhahon, for instance?

I would agree that the central defenders are similar - they are more traditional stoppers than ball-playing defenders - but we are in League One. Walsh was a bit different but he was only here because his fitness would not permit him to play at a higher level.

People keep banging on about the Charlton game and while I accept we played well I think it was mainly due to Carlton’s set up. I don’t remember another match this season where we have been afforded so much space.

I would not say that Erhahon and Hamilton are similar either - Erhahon is more a defensive, holding midfielder while Hamilton is noticeably more dynamic and attack minded. How many shots has Hamilton had this season compared with Erhahon, for instance?
Hamilton 17
Erhahon 3

Your earlier point about making a squad of individual squad players work as a team unit makes a lot of sense. I am hoping the new fella is being brought in to address this.

on bishop and injuries, similar was highlighted with justification about jackson not being able to play Saturday-Tuesday. But to someone’s credit in the medical team (or maybe just Jackson’s credit) that seems to have been dealt with. Can the same method be applied to transform bishop’s fitness?

My point is up front is that would you play House and Walker together, would you play House and Vale together, would you play Draper and Moylan together. Would you play any of those combinations together? You could but they wouldn't work as a successful partnership because all of them in a team situation have similar qualities. In a team if you are playing two upfront they need to compliment each other in terms of one of them needs to be able to hold the ball, bring other players into the game and compete aerially and the other needs to be able to work off him, be sharp around the box, get on the end of flick ons and layoffs and be in areas in the box where your going to get opportunities to score goals. I don't want my forwards charging about like blue arse flies closing people down and hardly ever seeing the ball because we're playing a system that doesn't have proper wing backs and we are essentially playing 5 at the back then wonder why we don't get forward, score a lot of goals and we are under pressure a lot ourselves.

Forget all that, thats all finished, that is exactly how we need not to play under a new manager. The formation, shape, some of the personel (in time) need to change or with the squad that we've got doing the same thing will just mean the same sort of results and performance and at the moment ,although the results are not horrendous the way we are achieving those results in the way we set up and play are not what the majority fans want to watch, evidenced by our attendances.

As for Bishop his situation isn't the same as Jacksons. Jackson seemed to pick up the tag of not being able to play Saturday, Tuesday on the back of a couple of concussion issues. He probably could of played but he was following the concussion protocols, which is fair enough, but it wasn't as if he was picking up injuries all the time and missing games. The guys 29, he will want to be playing as much as he possibly can, he doesn't need resting and we certainly need him at the centre of that defence at the minute.

Bishop on the other hand has been constantly injured. Never has had a good run of games in the team without picking up some sort of little injury which seem to keep him out for weeks on end. He would be gone at the earliest opportunity if I were in charge, not because he isn't a decent footballer but a footballer who is virtually forever injured is not contributing to the cause, is costing you in wages and unfortunately that is the cold hard truth of it. He's been here a while now and his situation just doesn't seem to change. He's had his time here and he needs to go so that we can use that wage to bring someone else in.

Last edited:
My point is up front is that would you play House and Walker together, would you play House and Vale together, would you play Draper and Moylan together. Would you play any of those combinations together? You could but are they wouldn't work as a successful partnership because all of them in a team situation have similar qualities. In a team if you are playing two upfront they need to compliment each other in terms of one of them needs to be able to hold the ball, bring other players into the game and compete aerially and the other needs to be able to work off him, be sharp around the box, get on the end of flick ons and layoffs and be in areas in the box where your going to get opportunities to score goals. I don't want my forwards charging about like blue arse flies closing people down and hardly ever seeing the ball because we're playing a system that doesn't have proper wing backs and we are essentially playing 5 at the back then wonder why we don't get forward, score a lot of goals and we are under pressure a lot ourselves.

Forget all that, thats all finished, that is exactly how we need not to play under a new manager. The formation, shape, some of the personel (in time) need to change or with the squad that we've got doing the same thing will just mean the same sort of results and performance and at the moment ,although the results are not horrendous the way we are achieving those results in the way we set up and play are not what the majority fans want to watch, evidenced by our attendances.

As for Bishop his situation isn't the same as Jacksons. Jackson seemed to pick up the tag of not being able to play Saturday, Tuesday on the back of a couple of concussion issues. He probably could of played but he was following the concussion protocols, which is fair enough, but it wasn't as if he was picking up injuries all the time and missing games. The guys 29, he will want to be playing as much as he possibly can, he doesn't need resting and we certainly need him at the centre of that defence at the minute.

Bishop on the other hand has been constantly injured. Never has had a good run of games in the team without picking up some sort of little injury which seem to keep him out for weeks on end. He would be gone at the earliest opportunity if I were in charge, not because he isn't a decent footballer but a footballer who is virtually forever injured is not contributing to the cause, is costing you in wages and unfortunately that is the cold hard truth of it. He's been here a while now and his situation just doesn't seem to change. He's had his time here and he needs to go so that we can use that wage to bring someone else in.
Are you advocating playing 4-4-2 with a big man and a little man up top?

This is purely conjecture and may well be bullshit.
But the fact that the club spent relatively heavily in the summer recruitment probably means we don't have a great amount to spend in January. Any new Manager coming in would probably be looking at recruiting players in January.
This may be putting off the likes of the Cowleys and others from coming to the club. If of course they have even been considered.
We desperately need a creative midfield player. Both Hamilton and Erhahon are defensive type players and not creative at all. Bishop probably the only one we have but just cannot maintain any fitness levels to play enough. Every team that comes to the Bank seem to have one and it always causes us trouble. Grant was the last one we had. Any prospective manager who has watched us would surely have identified this if they were any good. But they would cost decent money.
We can have all the forwards back but they still need chances created for them.

Its a very good point in my view.

The club and recruitment team invested heavily this past summer, and part of the reason MK was fired was that he could not get the best out of that squad.

The board will want to bring in a manager who, in their opinion, can work with the existing squad and get us into the play-offs.

They will be trying to avoid someone coming in and after a month telling JG that the players are not good enough and he needs a bunch of new signings in January. Not only can't the club afford that, it would just undermine JG and the recruitment team.

Frank Lampard in the running for the Oxford job apparently, so not cut-and-dried that Buckingham is going there. Assuming he is on our list of course!

He's had his time here and he needs to go so that we can use that wage to bring someone else in.

You are assuming he'll accept a pay off. With his injury record being quite well discussed over the internet, him getting a contract elsewhere is reduced so either we pay it in full or he stays on the books. No savings there at all, then you have the cost of a replacement. The summer will obviously be a different issue

You are assuming he'll accept a pay off. With his injury record being quite well discussed over the internet, him getting a contract elsewhere is reduced so either we pay it in full or he stays on the books. No savings there at all, then you have the cost of a replacement. The summer will obviously be a different issue

I don't know when his contract is up but, yes, that is what I meant.

There is absolutely no way he can be offered a new contract.

If I was being employed as the "Head Coach" one of the first questions I would ask would be What is the Transfer Policy, What input do I have & What are your talent assessors like?
Liam Scully's comment about the Head Coach at Lincoln not being exactly the same as it was at some other clubs whilst being a little ambiguous was intriguing.
I can't remember exactly how many posts there were last season about how well MK would do when he was able to bring in his own players but I am hoping that was able to guide the transfer policy recently and it has not been completely determined by Jez George and his team. I think our transfer success rate has been hit and miss generally over the last two or three seasons but as has been said previously we now have no ball playing CBs, we have energetic midfielders but no skilfully creative ones (apart maybe from TB who even I have given up on being able to maintain enough fitness) and a forward line where there is absolutely no strength in depth.
If we are trying to pitch the club to in demand coaches when other jobs are popping up all the time it could be a more difficult sell than some people might think. I am not saying we didn't bring in some good players in the summer but hopefully we have something more constructive to tell a prospective coach than we identified we needed to bring in more tall players.
Maybe this is also an opportunity for a more thorough root and branch analysis of some of these aspects. The decision makers can take as long as they want as far as I am concerned with the new appointment.
I disagree with the lack of strength in depth in attack, we have many injuries but when everyone is fit we have plenty of exciting options up top. That's unfortunate and certainly not down to poor recruitment.
Agree wholeheartedly re Bishop though, absolute waste of a wage and needs moving on in January if we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.