Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Page 39 | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the fact it was Halloween and people would have had things to with their kids and grandkids maybe had a bearing on the attendance last night.

Your point in that we have had our best two seasons in the last 40 years and yet crowds are going down dispels the notion that some believe its results....end of.

These last two seasons is some of the worst football I have ever watched with only John Becks team topping that but at least he was successful with it.

Crowds were disappearing because there was no entertainment being served up to them. Some fans accept that but the majority will eventually show it with their feet and the Board knew that....that's why Kennedy went.
Agree. Some seem to think by entertainment we mean Pep style passing or Klopp style pressing and counter. No. I mean an intent to have an attacking style. With an idea to create goals and attempts on goal. And goals. Not negative, defensive and risk averse which we have been served up far too often. It's boring and fans will not keep coming even in our heady heights of L1 mid table. Its all relative. Entertaining can also be just winning. As the Cowleys were so good at. They found a way to win with the resources at hand.

So we are sitting as a top 10 League 1 club and people are saying we need to reinvigorate the fan base.
Have expectations gotten that out of control???

Ask the fans which have stopped attending what their expectations are because we need them back.

I am happy just being in L1, but having experienced Sincil Bank prior to 2016-2017, I never want us to go back to those days. We’ve now had a few seasons where we’ve either been competing towards the bottom of the division or the football itself has been dull.

Ultimately, there’s a couple of thousand fans that need to be attracted back to Sincil Bank each week, or is that not enough of a drop-off for the fanbase to be reinvigorated?

By reinvigorate, I’d suggest “feel good factor” if the Cowleys returned. As last nights “mini interview” on sky sports went, he used a lot of buzz words that described where we’re at as a club. I could be reading too much into it though…

He did mention about GCSE year for his daughter and any moving schools and current location could be an issue. Are they still in Lincoln or did move closer to Portsmouth?

Not sure the suggestion that Richardson is interested will amount to anything. Did well at Wigan but with a pile of cash and, from memory, wasn't he fairly direct?

N
I think that the fact it was Halloween and people would have had things to with their kids and grandkids maybe had a bearing on the attendance last night.

Your point in that we have had our best two seasons in the last 40 years and yet crowds are going down dispels the notion that some believe its results....end of.

These last two seasons is some of the worst football I have ever watched with only John Becks team topping that but at least he was successful with it.

Crowds were disappearing because there was no entertainment being served up to them. Some fans accept that but the majority will eventually show it with their feet and the Board knew that....that's why Kennedy went.
Looking at some stats, in this season and last, all competitions we've scored 92 goals in 77 games. Under the 'poor' football of the Cowleys we managed nearly that in each season in the league excluding the 100+ in the NL.

By reinvigorate, I’d suggest “feel good factor” if the Cowleys returned. As last nights “mini interview” on sky sports went, he used a lot of buzz words that described where we’re at as a club. I could be reading too much into it though…

He did mention about GCSE year for his daughter and any moving schools and current location could be an issue. Are they still in Lincoln or did move closer to Portsmouth?
Pretty sure they moved south. Also as mentioned a while ago said daughter is also in Chelsea academy which is not to be sneezed at unlike the mens team.

Not sure the suggestion that Richardson is interested will amount to anything. Did well at Wigan but with a pile of cash and, from memory, wasn't he fairly direct?
Hard to work out from this - not sure how accurate that chart is but looks more like Appleton ball than Ainsworth (although I recall hearing similar about them being direct) https://theanalyst.com/eu/2022/06/english-league-one-2021-22-stats/

They did score a lot of set piece goals though by the looks (25!) that season we scored 8.

I did read somewhere that he played a 3-4-2-1 a bit which is interesting (but also 4 at the back variations).

As an aside MK didn't move to Lincoln as such in any case. Thinking back through our managers history seems to have been a recurring theme, although can understand why managers don't risk upping sticks their contracts mean a lot less than players ones.

Did like a big number 9 such as Wyke, Magennis, Keane and from what I remember of their win at our place a couple of years back they did hit it towards Magennis more often than not, but he did have another striker working alongside him (Lang I think) so we might go to a 2 up top and that's something most will be happy about

I think there is an element of any news filling a vacuum. Applies to the Cowley link too, not sure as many would be on board if there were serious alternatives to compare them to or talk about.

I’m still expecting an employed No.2 or First team coach we haven’t spoken about, to appear as a serious contender or even new appointment over an out of work ex-manager.

Can't help agreeing with that.

Wigan were strong and direct in 2021-22, they simply overpowered us in their (nauseating) win at LNER. They bought players on big contracts with exactly that style of play in mind, and that is a million miles from where Lincoln have set out their footballing stall. I cannot see any synergies between Richardson and Lincoln on that evidence, and it is almost impossible to judge how well he is likely to do without the financial avalanche behind him. I really cannot see this one happening, that is why he has been out of the game for so long.

If my surname was Cowley, I think I would be reluctant to come back here. Expectations are very high and their legacy is at stake.

I take it no out of work manager were there last night?
Fair play to the board no knows who's favourite, as it should be really

Wigan were strong and direct in 2021-22, they simply overpowered us in their (nauseating) win at LNER. They bought players on big contracts with exactly that style of play in mind, and that is a million miles from where Lincoln have set out their footballing stall. I cannot see any synergies between Richardson and Lincoln on that evidence, and it is almost impossible to judge how well he is likely to do without the financial avalanche behind him. I really cannot see this one happening, that is why he has been out of the game for so long.
Not sure if part of the reason for him being out of work is also him signing a three year deal at Wigan around the same time he got sacked 😂astonishingly well run club.

Wasn't he Paul Cook's No 2 for quite a while? Or am I mistaking him with someone else? If so, the he was quietly credited with being the biggest reason for their success, including at least two promotions and was sponsible for much of the coaching and style of play.

Ref: his time at Wigan then sometimes you have to adapt and adopt a style of play based on the players you have, so if strong & direct is the way, then so be it.

Fair to say Paul Cook has had little or no success since that partnership broke up. Not saying I want him as the next Lincoln manager, but feel he is possibly being unfairly labelled and written off.

Wasn't he Paul Cook's No 2 for quite a while? Or am I mistaking him with someone else? If so, the he was quietly credited with being the biggest reason for their success, including at least two promotions and was sponsible for much of the coaching and style of play.

Ref: his time at Wigan then sometimes you have to adapt and adopt a style of play based on the players you have, so if strong & direct is the way, then so be it.

Fair to say Paul Cook has had little or no success since that partnership broke up. Not saying I want him as the next Lincoln manager, but feel he is possibly being unfairly labelled and written off.
Although Cook is currently having an okay season I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.