Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Page 2 | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about Eustace, did seem to have the same problems regarding defensive minded tactics we’ve just suffered from.
Bradley would be interesting but then he presumably doesn’t know the EFL first hand. I would guess nothing would happen with him until the end of their season? Maybe DC could hold the reins till then. Perhaps Nicky fancies striking out on his own, his family were in Lincoln recently and seem more attached to the place than his brother!

Now that is an interesting option. The Cowleys on a short term contract until the end of the season. I think that is what they accepted at Portsmouth?

Think Bradley and barge pole would be in the same sentence after the last time.

Really not sure the Cowleys and the club are a good fit any more.

Eustace would be a good catch, as would Richardson.

Young ambitious manager/coach from a lower league, or young ambitious coach from higher?

I have always been impressed with Luke Garrad. Comes across well when interviewed. I'm not sure just how adventourous we will be this time and feel we might go for someone who knows the league a bit more.
I think Matt Gray is a similar one who has done a long term job at Sutton, well, but neither have been strongly linked with other clubs/come to fruition?

I really think we will go for the unexpected. A name we have never considered. No basis for this but Thomas Wurle has been turning heads with his coaching work in the German third tier.

Think Bradley and barge pole would be in the same sentence after the last time.

Really not sure the Cowleys and the club are a good fit any more.

Eustace would be a good catch, as would Richardson.

Young ambitious manager/coach from a lower league, or young ambitious coach from higher?

To be fair, wasn't his son diagnosed with cancer around the same time, which could have had a massive impact on his decision?

Didn't realise Ashley Cole was now at Birmingham, so scratch that. We've already tried one of their assistant managers.

What's the Notts County manager's situation? Are they being bankrolled?

Leam Richardson got Wigan promoted on a tidal wave of cash that almost took the club to the wall little over twelve months after they had last been there. No thank you.

The Cowleys do not seem feasible for lots of reasons, I would be very surprised.

I can't help thinking Luke Garrard's ship has sailed.

An inexperienced manager/head coach from non-league football or an academy seems unlikely, considering we have a set of players many feel good enough to challenge for the play-offs. I think this is an attempt to maximise the investment on the playing side this season, therefore an experienced manager seems de rigeur.

Stephen Bradley appears a very logical move, given he was allegedly our first choice in May 2022. Bradley turned it down apparently because of family problems which may no longer exist. There is nothing more he can achieve at Shamrock, so he has to move away if he wants to progress as a manager.

Or will the board surprise us?
On Richardson, they definitely spent but winning a league with Sunderland, Sheff Wed in and losing their (expensive) striker early in the season after a cardiac arrest (which it always sounded like Richardson dealt with amazingly) still seems impressive. Not sure many of the players have gone way up the leagues after suggesting it was easily the best squad? Might be wrong, that's off the top of my head.

And i'm not sure spending money is his fault or he 'took them to the wall' - more crazy ownership that then ditched him for Kolo Toure? Still did well to win the league IMO but acknowledge it's not simply, he's a good manager because he won the league if that makes sense.

After looking at all the options posted here the Cowleys would be my choice. No question. I don't agree with the don't go back. Seems like an old wives tale. They are still young. Talented. Driven. Will galvanise the fan base. And I believe get a tune out of this squad. I also believe they would love to come back and do all they could to make it work.

To be fair, wasn't his son diagnosed with cancer around the same time, which could have had a massive impact on his decision?

Didn't realise Ashley Cole was now at Birmingham, so scratch that. We've already tried one of their assistant managers.

What's the Notts County manager's situation? Are they being bankrolled?

Ah, I'd missed that cancer stuff. That's sad and makes more sense - and seems like he'd be very in the frame this time. I just remember at the time it played out very publicly and largely rom Shamrock/Bradley's side in the press, but the reasons seemed more like he'd spoken to the chairman and decided to stay or something.

After looking at all the options posted here the Cowleys would be my choice. No question. I don't agree with the don't go back. Seems like an old wives tale. They are still young. Talented. Driven. Will galvanise the fan base. And I believe get a tune out of this squad. I also believe they would love to come back and do all they could to make it work.

And we would be ideal for the Cowleys too. They have their reputation to build up again and, assuming the parting from Clive was not acrimonious, would fancy their chances on taking us to the next level.

Remembering back to the Cowley times with positive and negative memories. The style of football wasnt all that. Everybody back to defend a corner, a lone striker doing his best to hold up the ball with no support. Rheady being the plan B. The same feedback from Huddersfield and Portsmouth fans after he left.
But he certainly created a buzz in the community and can talk a good game. His Thursday press conference was a not to be missed event. The FA Cup run, and a Wembley cup final. Great memories. Also following Kennedy, the style of football has been pretty scrappy. If Cowley is using us as a stepping stone still, then no.

My current vibe is (FWIW), that I'm interested to see what managers on the up are out there, with good recent track records and appetite for the next tep.

But if you'd asked me last week if I could have clicked my fingers and replaced MK with the Cowleys I would (personally) have done it in an instant too. I reckon it would feel like a fresh start from where we have been with a bit of the negativity and they seem to have accepted they didn't act in the right way when they left and made some mistakes. But I don't know how deep disagreements at the time before they left went, and if it's a direction we'd be willing to go at board level.
I spend a ridiculous amount of time on other teams message-boards arguing the case for the Cowleys. So it's odd to be back on here hoping they don't return to Lincoln.
It's over nine months since they left Pompey. I think they've been turned down for more than one job lately. They might be wondering when they'll get their next chance, so they could well be open to a return to Lincoln.
I just feel it would be wrong for them and wrong for your club. Bradford City is the perfect opportunity but theirs is only one name being linked.
As for who should replace Kennedy; well there are some decent men out there looking for a club. Leam Richardson did brilliantly in his only full season in management. But that is just one season. John Eustace is certainly someone to consider. His Brum side might have been regarded as negative but in his only previous full-time manager job his Kiddy side were labelled "the non-league Barcelona" due to the style he had them playing.
Anyway you are blessed with good and knowledgeable people who'll be making the decision on who's next.

I really think we will go for the unexpected. A name we have never considered. No basis for this but Thomas Wurle has been turning heads with his coaching work in the German third tier.
This is the kind of left field name I like to see! Did not expect to see the SSV Ulm manager in the list. And previously Bayern Munich women's manager?

Why do you say that? I believe a family member was seriously ill at the same time, hence the shenanigans in the press.

He was interviewed four times by Lincoln, so he must have been very serious about it.
And their season and his contract is nearly up. Also last time they were about to embark on a European campaign. He very nearly did come then despite that, it may happen this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.