Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Page 3 | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying the Cowleys should come back but it seem that they were well liked by the fans at Portsmouth & Huddersfield and some wre dissapointed that it didnt work out. Those two clubs are much bigger than us and expectations are higher. At Lincoln, a much smaller club they gelled the club and the community and that over spilled onto the pitch to the players. There is still a little bit of that here now when you hear players talking about the atmosphere. Unike the other two clubs where they probably had to prove themselves to the fans, if they did come back they could hitt he ground running which is probably what we need right now.

Nailing my colours firmly to the mast - Danny and Nicky Cowley please.

I've never been a fan of saying like 'don't go back' in football - every situation is different.

I think there is some absolute guff spoken about the Cowleys, my main two being:

1. 'They like to control everything' when they were appointed at Lincoln they had to, there wasn't much to work with! Actually from bits of insight I fortunately had - the Cowleys championed collaboration. They brought in the sports scientists, coaches, medical staff etc. I have no doubts they could work with a recruitment team. I think they'd want final say and what they would have final say would need to be agreed on appointment - but I've no doubts if they agreed to something they'd stick to it.

2. 'They don't develop young players'. What the Cowleys do - better than anything other than perhaps winning - they achieve their objectives. This seems to have been thrown at them a lot but was never really an objective when they were here, it was added after they left to develop the club as a whole. Woodyard, Anderson, Toffolo, Ragget and many more actually developed immensely under their leadership. Many players played best football of their careers under DC and NC -- Rhead, Waterfall, the likes of Theo Robinson in even a short spell. From what I saw they are very good at getting best from people. Plus, they are former educators who would be brilliant with young players if that's their remit, I have no doubt.

With an agreed vision and plan with the board, I think the most successful managers we have arguably ever had could certainly thrive again. Would love to see what they could do with likes Erhahon, Mandriou and House. We seem to have a bit of a lost dressing room at the min - you don't get one of them under Danny and Nicky.

Could it tarnish reputation? Maybe. But I'd bank of them more than anyone else. And I think if it didn't work out they'd walk away rather than ruin legacy.

Last edited:
Not the Cowleys for me , they had there time here and did so much and fear for us and them they could hurt there legendary status plus they have been at bigger clubs recently and well according to those supporters failed.
I followed them after they left us on other forums and they were really unliked with style of play and not know there best formation so would like to see someone who’s not an has been but also someone where it’s not there first top job , someone who knows his stuff and fresh ideas please.

MK was an inexperienced Manager and a gamble that didn't work out so can't see it being someone similar. Don't think we will have to wait long as the board will want to steady the titanic as there is an iceberg just over the horizon.
I don’t think you can say it didn’t work out because last season was a positive but like most things on football there is an end

Not the Cowleys for me. We have outgrown them, largely based on their achievements, and that is the highest accolade that you can give to a management team - that they left the Club in a substantially better place than what they found it. Throw in their trophies, and they have their legendary status. Not sure that they can top that, so would be set up to fail from the start.

After looking at all the options posted here the Cowleys would be my choice. No question. I don't agree with the don't go back. Seems like an old wives tale. They are still young. Talented. Driven. Will galvanise the fan base. And I believe get a tune out of this squad. I also believe they would love to come back and do all they could to make it work.
For me it is a no,tactically inept and two failures under their belt since leaving the imps after they blew the budget apart and ran out the back door whilst under contract.
There is a wide option out there to choose from for the new appointment but ideally i would like to see someone who has a creditable cv rather than someone who has spent 10 years or more involved in youth / reserve fooball but has never taken the hot seat where there is no hiding place and somebody who fully realises that football management is a results based business and you will fall on your sword if you dont get those results.

With the abrupt departure of MK i feel we may have already made a solid approach for the new man destined to drive us to the Champ!!!!!

(investors want returns)....Pablo Webster,Brian Anderson,Harvey Jabara,Clive Nates,......they will not tolerate failure and are big enough to make changes when necessary.

What's pretty clear is that whomever it will be not everyone will take to him.
For my twopence worth I'd go Bradley first and Cowley as the back up if that didn't happen again

Bradley has experience, and winning experience. Still young, and might be time for a new challenge for him.
Would also be a good link to signing even more Irish players.
Might boil down to his family situation though.
And, would we wait until the end of their season, nov 4?

article asking questions about the shamrock budget for next season here:

Status
Not open for further replies.