Newcastle V Tottenham | Page 3 | Vital Football

Newcastle V Tottenham

At least Jose will know that none of the 3 possible results change a thing in what he is building.

A win will be over celebrated
A low scoring draw will be picked apart
A loss will be back to "sack the manager"

Jose's favourite result would be a tough away 1-0 win, or a late goal for a 2-0 win. A clean sheet and hopefully keeping Toon to minimal chances. Even better knowing that his forwards missed a few and should have buried them. That would be the best psychological lesson he could give these fragile players. Better than a 4-0 stroll.

I'm looking forward to the game.

Damn not televised here...interesting I don't see ANY EPL matches televised here today. Strange.

Yeah Anderton takes it for sure, but of recent years Carroll has been the worst return for your money at any club!
Ledley King 323 app in all comps over 14 seasons.
Anderton 358 app in all comps over 12 seasons.

Anderton still leads the list in the most PL appearances for us with 299, Ledders played 268. Always amazes me how one guy is ridiculed for his injuries (injuries the club's managment and medical staff exacerbated, btw) while the other player is deified, put on a pedestal with his quotes adorning the stadium like some great, all conquering Caesar.

Not having a go at you, I'm just saying is all! ;)

Ledley King 323 app in all comps over 14 seasons.
Anderton 358 app in all comps over 12 seasons.

Anderton still leads the list in the most PL appearances for us with 299, Ledders played 268. Always amazes me how one guy is ridiculed for his injuries (injuries the club's managment and medical staff exacerbated, btw) while the other player is deified, put on a pedestal with his quotes adorning the stadium like some great, all conquering Caesar.

Not having a go at you, I'm just saying is all! ;)
Thanks for the stats. My gut feeling, without ever having looked it up, was that he played a lot more than the "sick note" moniker would suggest.

Thanks for the stats. My gut feeling, without ever having looked it up, was that he played a lot more than the "sick note" moniker would suggest.
I used to be the same until I saw an interview with Anderton who said the club's medical staff, possibly under instruction from Alan Sugar (who knows?) lied about the severity of his groin injuries which made it worse.

The guy chose to stay with us while Klinsmann, Barmby, Popescu et al jumped ship in 1995, even though Man Utd were intent on signing him. Levy then refused to renew his contract in 2004 because he wanted Jamie Redknapp at the club ... a guy who was far more injury prone than Anderton. Redknapp's league appearances for us in his 3 seasons were 17, 17 and 14 (the season Anderton was let go).

Even though he was promised a testimonial, the club still hasn't given him one. We have treated him shoddily as a club and fanbase in my opinion.

Last edited:
At least Jose will know that none of the 3 possible results change a thing in what he is building.

A win will be over celebrated
A low scoring draw will be picked apart
A loss will be back to "sack the manager"

Jose's favourite result would be a tough away 1-0 win, or a late goal for a 2-0 win. A clean sheet and hopefully keeping Toon to minimal chances. Even better knowing that his forwards missed a few and should have buried them. That would be the best psychological lesson he could give these fragile players. Better than a 4-0 stroll.

I'm looking forward to the game.

Well said, totally agree.

I used to be the same until I saw an interview with Anderton who said the club's medical staff, possibly under instruction from Alan Sugar (who knows?) lied about the severity of his groin injuries which made it worse.

The guy chose to stay with us while Klinsmann, Barmby, Popescu et al jumped ship in 1995, even though Man Utd were intent on signing him. Levy then refused to renew his contract in 2002 because he wanted Jamie Redknapp at the club ... a guy who was far more injury prone than Anderton. Redknapp's league appearances for us in his 3 seasons were 17, 17 and 14.

Even though he was promised a testimonial, the club still hasn't given him one. We have treated him shoddily as a club and fanbase in my opinion.
Such a shame that, maybe even embarrassing, I have had a couple of pints a couple of times with him a few years ago, nice lad.

Such a shame that, maybe even embarrassing, I have had a couple of pints a couple of times with him a few years ago, nice lad.
Just had to amend that post. It was the last season Redknapp played for us that Levy chose him over Anderton!

Cool you had a few pints with the guy!

The guy chose to stay with us while Klinsmann, Barmby, Popescu et al jumped ship in 1995, even though Man Utd were intent on signing him. Levy then refused to renew his contract in 2004 because he wanted Jamie Redknapp at the club ... a guy who was far more injury prone than Anderton. Redknapp's league appearances for us in his 3 seasons were 17, 17 and 14 (the season Anderton was let go).

Knowing Levy he probably has a testimonial lined up for him behind closed doors as long as Darren promises to meet the cost of opening the stadium.

Lamela has not repeated the same way of playing for 7 years. He has changed his way of playing and adapted to various factors. When he first came he was immature and not a team player. It took him a while to adapt to PL foitball. He has bulked up which has enabled strength on the ball. He defends far more than he used to. His set piece delivery has been improved. He has developed his game despite potentially career ending injury and shown the determination to overcome it. Seriously, does anyone think his game has remained the same over 7 years after giving it some rational thought ?
Also is he exclusively average ? I dont think he is average firstly but exclusively ? That means nobody else has been over a long period. Davies, Sanchez and Winks are long serving players I would class as average.

Well said. And any player who takes the piss out of Wilshire and stands on Fabregas hand should be afforded loftier status than average

Whilst I feel for serge.....hoped he wouldn't be playing. Hope we win, if we go for it then I think we will.

Very surprised to see Aurier playing. Let's hope he is not affected. Picking the same team as the last game is not necessarily the right one. Do the toon play like arse ?