Newcastle V Tottenham | Page 10 | Vital Football

Newcastle V Tottenham

What happened when Lamela started the match against bottom of league two Colchester? If you don't remember I can give you a blow by blow account!:hehe:

We lost on pens. Lamela didn't start. He came on as a late sub with not enough time according to the match report. He scored his penalty in the shoot out. Moura missed.

That's shocking treatment of a club legend and genuinely nice guy.😡
Yeah, for three seasons from the age of 23-26, instead of pushing on into his prime he was needlessly battling groin injuries that really diluted his career. I have no doubt (although no proof!) that the medical staff didn't come to this decision by themselves. They were obviously told to.

I heard another story that while he was making a comeback, Alan Sugar asked Anderton could he at least sit on the bench to give the crowd a lift as things were going bad on the pitch. Gerry Francis told him he didn't have to do it, but ever willing, Anderton said yes. 3-0 up at half time to Sheff Wed, it looked like the ploy had worked. However, Wednesday got 2 second half goals and they threw Anderton on for the final 5 minutes. Anderton said he was running around feeling his groin going every second he was out there. Result was another lay off!

So its not beyond the realms of possibility that Sugar ordered the medical staff to get Anderton on the pitch at all cost. Pretty sad when you think about it.

Yeah, for three seasons from the age of 23-26, instead of pushing on into his prime he was needlessly battling groin injuries that really diluted his career. I have no doubt (although no proof!) that the medical staff didn't come to this decision by themselves. They were obviously told to.

I heard another story that while he was making a comeback, Alan Sugar asked Anderton could he at least sit on the bench to give the crowd a lift as things were going bad on the pitch. Gerry Francis told him he didn't have to do it, but ever willing, Anderton said yes. 3-0 up at half time to Sheff Wed, it looked like the ploy had worked. However, Wednesday got 2 second half goals and they threw Anderton on for the final 5 minutes. Anderton said he was running around feeling his groin going every second he was out there. Result was another lay off!

So its not beyond the realms of possibility that Sugar ordered the medical staff to get Anderton on the pitch at all cost. Pretty sad when you think about it.

Sadly, being forced into a game off the bench or being made to play was more common than many would think; these days you'd be hard-pressed to see any medic give a steroid injection more than 2 -3 times into an injury site (I think the new limit allowed under the guidelines is now 3), the fact that you were often having one every other or even before every game in some circumstances, is why now so many of these legends can barely walk.

Last edited:
This next phase should not be about picking holes in our attacking midfield options. We currently have no credible backup for Lloris and Kane plus problems at full-back and holding midfield in the first eleven. There's 4 problems I would solve before I'd even look at attacking midfield.

All Dele and Lamela do is give Spurs genuine squad depth and versatility. Part of me can see a logic in selling Dele as he cost £5m and may bring huge profit into the club for new players. I say "may" because you still need to have these offers on the table and we're in a strange transfer climate at the moment.

More realistically, we should try to keep Dele, Son, Moura, Bergwijn, Lamela, Gio and Ndombele together and make it our strength. Jose has already shown with Moura what he can do when he coaches these guys every single day. We've seen Winks and Gio finally start doing the professional fouls and frustrating the opposition by constant breaking up their play. We're seen Lloris hitting form once Jose simplified his kicking role and we're starting to see guys like Dier and Sanchez looking better at centre half.

Said this many times, but we have to trust Jose to build something and I see no point judging Dele until our manager has had serious time to lift his confidence, help him to trust his body again and find him his role in the squad.

A good post, even though I don't fully agree with all the commentary, particularly as regards the 'keep everybody' midfield.
Where central and attacking midfield is concerned, we desperately miss the creativity provided in the final third by Eriksen in his heyday, and which has been brought to United since signing Fernandes. We just don't have it, and I'm sure that Mourinho will be aware of that and will want to bring in a player of his own choice, no doubt at a price. Ndombele and Mourinho just isn't going to work, and the sale of Ndombele and Alli probably represents our best chance of raising funds in the transfer market.
As for Lamela, he seems to have found his place at Spurs as a last half hour cameo player, brought in to step up the search for a winner, or hang on to what we've got. He's doing that job very well, and now seems worth more to us than what we'd get by offloading him, given his injury record.
Finally, Sonny has an excellent goal scoring record when standing in for Harry Kane, the real problem is when neither of them are available. I very much doubt whether we could bring in another as a third option who would necessarily be better than the further development of Parrott over the next couple of seasons. Other than selling Kane of course.

A good post, even though I don't fully agree with all the commentary, particularly as regards the 'keep everybody' midfield.
Where central and attacking midfield is concerned, we desperately miss the creativity provided in the final third by Eriksen in his heyday, and which has been brought to United since signing Fernandes. We just don't have it, and I'm sure that Mourinho will be aware of that and will want to bring in a player of his own choice, no doubt at a price. Ndombele and Mourinho just isn't going to work, and the sale of Ndombele and Alli probably represents our best chance of raising funds in the transfer market.
As for Lamela, he seems to have found his place at Spurs as a last half hour cameo player, brought in to step up the search for a winner, or hang on to what we've got. He's doing that job very well, and now seems worth more to us than what we'd get by offloading him, given his injury record.
Finally, Sonny has an excellent goal scoring record when standing in for Harry Kane, the real problem is when neither of them are available. I very much doubt whether we could bring in another as a third option who would necessarily be better than the further development of Parrott over the next couple of seasons. Other than selling Kane of course.

Lamela's place as a thirty-minute player was found a few seasons ago, you still get shit but not as much if he plays for the full 90, or as and when he's often substituted. I feel a better cameo player with a broader capacity to read the game and make the right decisions, would offer more scoring opportunities. I think Lamela and his limited range is selling ourselves short.

Check out Lamelas ratings, rarely shit and often praised for changing the tempo and energy.

Hey I still rate him. We need a strong bench too and Lamela coming off the bench has more often than not been good for us.

I have never understood the extremely harsh criticism surrounding him. He may not be the best player nor the future of this club, but he does give his all when he steps on the pitch...and unfortunately for us he is one of the few who does week in and week out.

On the flip side you have players like Alli and more vast periods of time....Kane, who keep getting the benefit of the doubt...."just wait till he gets fit..." Tired of lame excuses like that.

You don't see serious clubs playing folks that are not match fit...it is next man up for them because they have quality depth. It isn't next man up for Spurs, we simply bash our heads against the wall playing the same damn players week in and week out hoping for a different result.