New Manager Thread - 2023 | Page 111 | Vital Football

New Manager Thread - 2023

Is Ange a good appointment as the next Spurs manager?

• No - we should have appointed a pub team manager

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the shouting video I saw was in an international game which is a completely different and very short-term environment.

Shouting at people you will work with every day for perhaps 3-4 years is just naffing stupid. It becomes ineffective very quickly.
In small doses it can snap people into action albeit it's often best to keep your cool in heated situations. A few choice words for some is like a big pat on the back for others.

One thing i think we can all agree on is that this squad has been taking the proverbial for far too long. He'll snap them out of their malaise, of that i am absolutely certain. He doesn't seem the type to f***y around with difficult characters. They'll be shown the back door rather promptly.

Patience will be key. He has a whole new spine to build & that isn't going to happen overnight.

As you say, the sweaty sock league is a pub league - no, seriously, a high intensive competitive league it isn't and never will be.

But it is still a professional league where managers have to get the best out of professionals.

I like his footballing approach, but whether he'll find this so easy in the PL is highly debatable. He could be just what we need, but he could also be the last wretched gamble of owners who don't know who to turn to next.

I hope and pray it's the former, because if this one doesn't work, we'll be sunk without a trace for a decade.

Jez Ex, talk about depress me on a bank holiday Monday whilst the suns out.

Sunk without a trace for a decade? I never had you down to be so pessimistic.

Newcastle showed this season how with a new manager and a few quid spent on players that a team can go from relegation candidates to Champions League in a short space of time.

Newcastle spent approx £120m on Isak, Botman and Pope at the start of the season.

The year before they brought in Burn, Trippier, Wilock and Guimaraes for approx £100m.

Those 7 signings (along with the guidance of Eddie Howe) have being the difference in Newcastle being 3rd bottom of the league on 31/1/22 with 2 wins and 9 draws from 21 games to finishing 4th 16 months later.

We’ve probably spent at a similar level to Newcastle in the same timeframe with very different results.

I’m actually quietly confident that Ange will pull the club back in the right direction, I don’t for a second think that we are now a mid table team or that is where we are destined to be for the foreseeable.

Let’s see how the summer plays out and again where we are as a club by Christmas.

One thing is for sure however, if this appointment doesn’t work out (and I really hope it does) is that by no means does that set us back for the next decade, far from it sir!

Keep the faith lads. Before we know it the new season will be upon us and every season there are surprises, who’s to say Tottenham Hotspur Football Club won’t be the biggest surprise of next season.

I’m also uninspired by the potential appointment. Part of that is because I believe people like Nagelsamann, Potter and Alonso are all better prospects for us & would stand a greater chance of uniting our fan base.

I don’t necessarily believe he’d be a cheap option to sack as he’ll have a back room team & by definition of sacking him, he’d have failed. That failure could be having us in top 6 (surely aspiration is gk get us back into the top 4!?), all the way though to us being relegated. We could be dismal & loose players left, right & centre.

I’d hope Postecoglu’s shouting technique is an exception & not a rule. I believe those “skills” are something of the past! They have their place in a small number of scenarios but mostly it’s about building people & teams up

Well to be fair, Jose and Cunte (both sociopaths) were supposed to be appointments that 'guaranteed' success and I swear if I'd had to watch much more of their 'pragmatic' football I'd have given it up.

I can't say it's an appointment to build a project of renewal on, but then I can't say it's not. we've appointed a 57-year-old with no top level experience. If we'd said that 3-4 years ago that was what we'd be doing, the club would have been at war with its fans.

All we can do now is hope that someone who is closer to it all and smarter than us believes he'll give us football worth watching and hope for the future.

I think for now, that's all we can hope for.

Last edited:
Jez Ex, talk about depress me on a bank holiday Monday whilst the suns out.

Sunk without a trace for a decade? I never had you down to be so pessimistic.

Newcastle showed this season how with a new manager and a few quid spent on players that a team can go from relegation candidates to Champions League in a short space of time.

Newcastle spent approx £120m on Isak, Botman and Pope at the start of the season.

The year before they brought in Burn, Trippier, Wilock and Guimaraes for approx £100m.

Those 7 signings (along with the guidance of Eddie Howe) have being the difference in Newcastle being 3rd bottom of the league on 31/1/22 with 2 wins and 9 draws from 21 games to finishing 4th 16 months later.

We’ve probably spent at a similar level to Newcastle in the same timeframe with very different results.

I’m actually quietly confident that Ange will pull the club back in the right direction, I don’t for a second think that we are now a mid table team or that is where we are destined to be for the foreseeable.

Let’s see how the summer plays out and again where we are as a club by Christmas.

One thing is for sure however, if this appointment doesn’t work out (and I really hope it does) is that by no means does that set us back for the next decade, far from it sir!

Keep the faith lads. Before we know it the new season will be upon us and every season there are surprises, who’s to say Tottenham Hotspur Football Club won’t be the biggest surprise of next season.

Sorry to depress chap...but hopefully it will be worth giving him the benefit of the doubt, just as I did jose and Cunte at the beginning...

I'm open minded that you could be right, but having now had time to see highlights of the Celtic European games, I also can't shake the feeling this is an out and out punt from this review process; it's not the review/outcome I expected at all - but maybe that's a good thing.

Apparently wiv out real spending this is a team Ange could put out note could.

Raya
Porro...Romero...Lenglet...Destiny
Bissy...Bents...LoCelso
Kulu...Richi...Son.

I have my hard hat on Lol!

I think the shouting video I saw was in an international game which is a completely different and very short-term environment.

Shouting at people you will work with every day for perhaps 3-4 years is just naffing stupid. It becomes ineffective very quickly.

For me it is all about man management. You get to know your team or your staff and I have found both in captaining many teams and running my own business for many years that there are some you can only shout at or be firm with to get the reaction you want. Others you have to quietly encourage otherwise they will down tools and tell you to get lost. So it’s quite simple really - know your men!

Sorry to depress chap...but hopefully it will be worth giving him the benefit of the doubt, just as I did jose and Cunte at the beginning...

I'm open minded that you could be right, but having now had time to see highlights of the Celtic European games, I also can't shake the feeling this is an out and out punt from this review process; it's not the review/outcome I expected at all - but maybe that's a good thing.

I hear ya but for context they were in a group with Real Madrid, RB Leipzig and S. Donetsk.

Leipzig won 10 of their last 11 games in Germany (inc) the cup final.

Madrid are Madrid and Celtic aren’t the 1st or last team to concede 3 and 5 against them.

I’m sure Ange will have thought his players will have learnt valuable lessons from those games and is to be admired for going toe to toe with superior opposition. The easy option for all coaches is to sit back in a low block against better opponents and take your 1 or 2 nil defeat.

De Zerbi’s Brighton took a few heavy shots (4-1 against Newcastle, 5-1 against Everton) this season but he still wants his team to be brave and take chances. Ange is if the same mould. I find it refreshing.

How it all works out is anyone’s guess but one things for sure, it will be more fun than the shit we’ve watched under Jose and Conte.

I hear ya but for context they were in a group with Real Madrid, RB Leipzig and S. Donetsk.

Leipzig won 10 of their last 11 games in Germany (inc) the cup final.

Madrid are Madrid and Celtic aren’t the 1st or last team to concede 3 and 5 against them.

I’m sure Ange will have thought his players will have learnt valuable lessons from those games and is to be admired for going toe to toe with superior opposition. The easy option for all coaches is to sit back in a low block against better opponents and take your 1 or 2 nil defeat.

De Zerbi’s Brighton took a few heavy shots (4-1 against Newcastle, 5-1 against Everton) this season but he still wants his team to be brave and take chances. Ange is if the same mould. I find it refreshing.

How it all works out is anyone’s guess but one things for sure, it will be more fun than the shit we’ve watched under Jose and Conte.

Good answer,

:clap:

It better be!! One more season of shite football and i'd be hunting Levy down myself lol!

Apparently wiv out real spending this is a team Ange could put out note could.

Raya
Porro...Romero...Lenglet...Destiny
Bissy...Bents...LoCelso
Kulu...Richi...Son.

I have my hard hat on Lol!
Glad you've got your hard hat on PY, I'll be throwing rocks at anybody promoting Lenglet and Richarlison as part of the solution going forward. Your post does indicate though, that under the right leadership, we really aren't in a start almost from scratch rebuilding operation, particularly given that Royal, Spence, Davies, Skipp, Sarr, Ndombele and Gil can all be considered currently as alternatives/squad additions to the above. We're not top three material currently, but there remains a solid foundation toward reestablishing ourselves as top six where the Club belongs.

We're not top three material currently, but there remains a solid foundation toward reestablishing ourselves as top six where the Club belongs.

Only when we get rid of the comedy act and get decent management and ownership in. Maybe the loser in the United stakes might be interested??

[QUOTE="Spursex, post: 3814778, member: 1292]

In fairness, he seems very much a Martin Jol type of character and so as all appointments are, he's worth a punt.[/QUOTE]

He is worth a punt? Is that how far we have fallen that we big up someone who has achieved a treble in a league where even a manager who fails in the Championship can do this when there a half a dozen better qualified candidates

He will look to bring in his favourites from Celtic who will get shown up, be happy to sell Kane because he thinks will give him breathing space and will have the name recognition to sign nobody of consequence.

A sad bleak day for this club

Status
Not open for further replies.