New Manager Thread - 2023 | Page 110 | Vital Football

New Manager Thread - 2023

Is Ange a good appointment as the next Spurs manager?

• No - we should have appointed a pub team manager

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regards us the fans, I have told this story before....

About 15 years ago or so, an ex-Pro footballer oppo of mine said..."Spurs fans are the most fickle whingeing fans on the planet these days, cos they never used to be, its a wonder any player wants to play for them" must admit he had me gobsmacked at the time, but am beginning to think he might be right!

As you say, the sweaty sock league is a pub league - no, seriously, a high intensive competitive league it isn't and never will be.

But it is still a professional league where managers have to get the best out of professionals.

I like his footballing approach, but whether he'll find this so easy in the PL is highly debatable. He could be just what we need, but he could also be the last wretched gamble of owners who don't know who to turn to next.

I hope and pray it's the former, because if this one doesn't work, we'll be sunk without a trace for a decade.

But within that league ex you do not have to get the best out off your players every week. They can be at 70% most games and cruise through. That's why I look at Europe and his team's looked awful and completely out classed. It says so much and it's why I just do not understand where does he meet our requirements. If we truly cannot attract a better coach then we are truly lost. Or is it because no one wants to work with Levy or just because Munn is a fellow countryman

But within that league ex you do not have to get the best out off your players every week. They can be at 70% most games and cruise through. That's why I look at Europe and his team's looked awful and completely out classed. It says so much and it's why I just do not understand where does he meet our requirements. If we truly cannot attract a better coach then we are truly lost. Or is it because no one wants to work with Levy or just because Munn is a fellow countryman

Can't argue with any of your points; you may be 100% right, I've been watching some highlights from their European games now, and it's not pretty. But then I suspect that none of their players would make a significant impact in the prem - but who knows, it's easy to write them off from what I've seen.

Can't argue with any of your points; you may be 100% right, I've been watching some highlights from their European games now, and it's not pretty. But then I suspect that none of their players would make a significant impact in the prem - but who knows, it's easy to write them off from what I've seen.

He spent a lot of money in Celtic terms over the previous 2 seasons. Not one of those players would get in our team but they are the best he has coached and signed. What hope should we have that he will attract better players raise the games of our very average squad to improve on our 8th. I just do not get this from a football view and although I am working behind the scenes now I am a football player and I given the chance to play for an young up and coming coach or this aging Australian coach who seems to offer very little ambition. I know who I chose and I think so will other players

... and how did Poch do vs the Mighty Conte and Mourinho?

Had you heard of Slot or Da Zerbi? What about Eddie Howe, the man who had Bournemouth free falling into relegation before he left? Context matters!

Shall we forget that Ange took Australia to the world Cup?
Before De Zerbi went to Brighton , I had never heard of him … Slot I had never heard of . Howe , I definitely was aware of for years ..

I definitely couldn’t tell you of any Australian
Football Coach from eternity ..

Im not sure what the Howe connection is here mate , he was with Bournemouth for years and hotly tipped as an England Manager .

The De Zerbi and Slot reference, I get where you are coming from .
I am not excited whatsoever about Postecoglue , sorry about the Spelling if it’s wrong , but as always , I’m very willing to be educated ….. I will get behind him if he is appointed …

He looked like he only had one way to play, even against better side, sure they all out attacked, but left holes all over the place at the back.

Now you hope with better players there will be less goals conceded, but that depends on us bringing players in.

I heard on a podcast last night one of the first out the door under Ange would be Hojberg, if so he is my man.

He looked like he only had one way to play, even against better side, sure they all out attacked, but left holes all over the place at the back.

Now you hope with better players there will be less goals conceded, but that depends on us bringing players in.

I heard on a podcast last night one of the first out the door under Ange would be Hojberg, if so he is my man.

Well Celtic have only just announced that they have granted him permission to speak to Spurs - which means he's already agreed personal terms, and now the club have agreed terms...so I expect an announcement in days.

It's all about PR management now.

From my perspective, the Athletic's video of how he plays, which was favourably compared with Guardiola, was somewhat encouraging.

Also, we need a task master with some fresh ideas and looking for a PL opportunity. He may not be the level we need but if he is backed with an outstanding DoF, THE most important appointment following up on the Paratici implosion, we should be at the beginning of the rebuild.

Well as I said
I wouldnt be over the moon, but I'm Willing to be convinced on this.
He does have Celtic playing some decent attractive football and indeed brought a few good players in from Asian leagues, who are doing fairly well up there, now, whether they are good enough for the Prem? Who knows, but it looks like he can spot talent.
If you watched Celtics' euro exploits, they did take it to teams in their group, and, all be it they went out in the group stages, it wasn't with a whimper.
They(Celtic) pretty much went toe to toe against RM and held their own and could've been in the lead, but sadly faded toward the end.
Postecogelu on paper does have a bit more about him than the much lauded Slot.
I know we could all, coach Celtic or Rangers to the Scottish title, with that said Rodgers came from Celtic and did OK, Fergueson came from Aberdeen and did alright.
Look at what 'the big names' did to us, so I for one will get behind the guy and support him.
He's a front foot, high press, attractive football playing manager, not afraid to shout or upset people
I'll go along for the ride, couldn't be worse than the end of this, season.

I've been speaking to a couple of Scot mates this morning who have converted me. Dare I say, I'm slightly excited. If everything everyone says is true, he could be a brave and inspired choice. I've very often accused Levy of not taking enough risks... maybe this is the risk we need to take.

I agree on the risk, it is brave on Levy's behalf if he truly believes he is the correct man.

It would have been easy to go with Mopo.

He was nobodies first choice, not even tenth, but I'll get behind him. He has the right philosophy and comes across well in interviews.

If he fails I know where I'll lay the blame. When you go through Poch, Jose, Nuno, Conte, Stellini in under 4 years it's pretty obvious where the issues lay.

We will be back in the same position in a year unless he is backed in binning the dead wood and getting younger, competent and team focused players in.

That means letting players go on a free/lower fees if he does not want them around.

I cannot find that Athletic overview of his tactics. If anyone knows where it is would they please repost it here. It would be worth watching for everyone now.

Thank you in advance.

It's hard to pinpoint who, but allegedly Brian Marwood has been promoting him to the media everywhere; it's a deluge of 'feel good' stories all over being 'placed' everywhere at the moment.

It's almost like he has a campaign manager who is working hard to manipulate sentiment behind him. I suspect that there is now some real truth in the leak that we've agreed personal terms with him, but not yet with Celtic.

He's a 'late starter' that's for sure and despite his recent successes, I personally wouldn't have gone near him - it smacks of desperation; but who knows? Tactically, he seems astute and flexible and can read a game well. He's supposedly one of those who it's said takes no shit from anyone and shouts a lot - so it could well be the board's pick on a 2 year deal with an option to extend...and if he doesn't cut the mustard, he'll be cheap and short-lived.

Let's hope he's an inspired choice, that is, if he is the man.

I think once again, Mason will be his sidekick and the board will believe they can become a dynamic duo...

Whilst I've warmed to him because of the positive campaign to promote him, inside I can't help but feel this is an uninspired appointment, but maybe after the 'winners' we were told Jose and Cunte were, it's exactly the antidote we need?
I’m also uninspired by the potential appointment. Part of that is because I believe people like Nagelsamann, Potter and Alonso are all better prospects for us & would stand a greater chance of uniting our fan base.

I don’t necessarily believe he’d be a cheap option to sack as he’ll have a back room team & by definition of sacking him, he’d have failed. That failure could be having us in top 6 (surely aspiration is gk get us back into the top 4!?), all the way though to us being relegated. We could be dismal & loose players left, right & centre.

I’d hope Postecoglu’s shouting technique is an exception & not a rule. I believe those “skills” are something of the past! They have their place in a small number of scenarios but mostly it’s about building people & teams up

I’m also uninspired by the potential appointment. Part of that is because I believe people like Nagelsamann, Potter and Alonso are all better prospects for us & would stand a greater chance of uniting our fan base.

I don’t necessarily believe he’d be a cheap option to sack as he’ll have a back room team & by definition of sacking him, he’d have failed. That failure could be having us in top 6 (surely aspiration is gk get us back into the top 4!?), all the way though to us being relegated. We could be dismal & loose players left, right & centre.

I’d hope Postecoglu’s shouting technique is an exception & not a rule. I believe those “skills” are something of the past! They have their place in a small number of scenarios but mostly it’s about building people & teams up

I think the shouting video I saw was in an international game which is a completely different and very short-term environment.

Shouting at people you will work with every day for perhaps 3-4 years is just naffing stupid. It becomes ineffective very quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.