New Manager Thread - 2023 | Page 103 | Vital Football

New Manager Thread - 2023

Is Ange a good appointment as the next Spurs manager?

• No - we should have appointed a pub team manager

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 25 in the first team squad and 9 players out on loan. It is totally unrealistic to think a manager won't bring in his own players but you have to ask if a manager has helped improve the likes of a Carter-Vickers, is that still going to be good enough for us.

Last edited:
Enrique has already received the backing of former Premier League star Luis Garcia. The Liverpool icon urged Spurs to make the former Barcelona manager their top target as they search to end their long trophy drought.

"I would straight away go for Luis Enrique. I think it’s a great job to arrive there, despite everything that has happened for many years. I still think it’s a fantastic club," Garcia told ESPN.

“Luis Enrique has got everything to be successful there. He’s got that energy. He has got that attitude. He is ready to fight. I think he has the experience to build something very unique at Tottenham, so it could be a fantastic choice."

The year is 2006. You've got your finest Lacoste polo shirt, Diesel jeans and loafers on. You've coated yourself in Joop, your hair is trimmed into a fine fauxhawk mullet.

It's Saturday night with the boys in Walkabout and Mr Brightside is banging through the speakers. It's 8pm and you've sunk your 3rd pint of Fosters, lovely.

You've got your sights on a couple of lovely sorts in neon pink boob tubes (Nagelsman and Slot), but you hesitate and they've been swept up by 2 lads waving £50 notes around. You sink 6 more pints and nod along to the music, scanning the dance floor. Plenty more fish in the sea.

It's now midnight. Your shirt is ripped, you've got splashback p*ss on you from the urinals, the bloke in the toilet has done you for a fiver on lollipops and JPG. All of your mates have jumped ship and moved on, but you're still stood there sipping a bottle of warm budweiser that's cost you £6. Tonight, YOU ARE GETTING LUCKY.

Vomit is rising in your throat, the hangover is kicking in and even the stragglers are knocking you back. You set your sites on anything you can get (Ange Postecoglu), but her 18 stone boyfriend intercepts your advances across the dance floor and decks you with a haymaker. The bouncers kick you out.

It's now 2am and you're calling anybody you can for a bed for the night. On the last call, your old faithful is just leaving Yates (Ryan Mason) and meets you at the taxi rank. Lovely jubbly.

The year is 2006. You've got your finest Lacoste polo shirt, Diesel jeans and loafers on. You've coated yourself in Joop, your hair is trimmed into a fine fauxhawk mullet.

It's Saturday night with the boys in Walkabout and Mr Brightside is banging through the speakers. It's 8pm and you've sunk your 3rd pint of Fosters, lovely.

You've got your sights on a couple of lovely sorts in neon pink boob tubes (Nagelsman and Slot), but you hesitate and they've been swept up by 2 lads waving £50 notes around. You sink 6 more pints and nod along to the music, scanning the dance floor. Plenty more fish in the sea.

It's now midnight. Your shirt is ripped, you've got splashback p*ss on you from the urinals, the bloke in the toilet has done you for a fiver on lollipops and JPG. All of your mates have jumped ship and moved on, but you're still stood there sipping a bottle of warm budweiser that's cost you £6. Tonight, YOU ARE GETTING LUCKY.

Vomit is rising in your throat, the hangover is kicking in and even the stragglers are knocking you back. You set your sites on anything you can get (Ange Postecoglu), but her 18 stone boyfriend intercepts your advances across the dance floor and decks you with a haymaker. The bouncers kick you out.

It's now 2am and you're calling anybody you can for a bed for the night. On the last call, your old faithful is just leaving Yates (Ryan Mason) and meets you at the taxi rank. Lovely jubbly.

Genius

Brilliant. Laughed all the way. :clap:

Are you saying Enrique is more attractive than Ryan after 10 pints and a kebab?

:LOL::LOL:

No but Postecoglou would be; he's the '10 to 2' girl almost left on the shelf who ends up being very grateful for the pick up - the problem comes when you sober up in the morning and then disgusted with yourself for lowering your standards, set to gnawing your arm off...!

Sorry, missed this last night.

I just don't think he fits the profile of the type of manager we need now; we need a dynamic young smart operator who speaks English fluently and who understand that our rebuild / the project could easily take 4-5 years before we become PL competitive again.

I'm not confident he'd relocate here - and one of the key issues with Conte I heard continuously during his tenure is that he was constantly going back when there was squad/performance issues to work on - of course he 'trusted' his own coaches, but that wasn't him leading from the front.

No, this time we can't afford to get it wrong, we need a coach who doesn't think he'll be doing us a favour taking the role - I want someone who commits heart and soul and is prepared to do anything it takes to deliver it.

Get this wrong again and we could spend a decade in the wilderness.

Ive heard a fair amount of this conflation with Enrique and the Cunte/Moronhoe types, but he's so not. Pep's called him the best coach in the world. And that comparison <-- is much much more apropos.

Enrique's also said he wants a next job that he can help build project, so most expect he's looking for a 5yr bit. He's also told others, and turned down other big jobs for it, that he wants to work in the Prem. So, all things you'd want to hear a potential coach say.

I dont know that "young" should be any pre-requisite, nor should some "age". This guy's what, 53? Old enough to not be 'pals' with players, but still entering the prime of his coaching career. What he does bring is the dynamic, smart operator, and success. He's won things, and managed a massive club, and a national team. He would immediately demand attention & respect from the players just by standing there. Not to mention help in luring transfers.

There's a few guys out there that I think could do the job, bring us back to where we should be, and maybe more. None of them would do it as quickly as this guy. I'd bet Enrique would have us challenging for top4 next season.

I wouldn't assume lack of commitment, everything indicates the opposite. What gives you the impression he'd be a total dick? 'Doing us a favor' as you said? I mean, the guy is actively pursuing the position, and he's recognized as a pretty sharp cat, you'd assume he's aware of what he'd be joining... Feels better to me than some guy the new DOF knows from before that he's gotta essentially drag from his temp retirement to come in and reluctantly coach.

He's not my #1 pref, but he may get us back breathing and winning fastest. Add a few years of Mason working under him, and we may do even more to secure long term successes.

Seems kinda like people are knocking him because he's a big personality uber-confident guy, maybe less about the footballing things.

I really don't understand the hate for Ange. He's not my preferred option but he's still in the mix for good reason. Of the remaining candidates he's considered a pretty safe option by many.

Ive heard a fair amount of this conflation with Enrique and the Cunte/Moronhoe types, but he's so not. Pep's called him the best coach in the world. And that comparison <-- is much much more apropos.

Enrique's also said he wants a next job that he can help build project, so most expect he's looking for a 5yr bit. He's also told others, and turned down other big jobs for it, that he wants to work in the Prem. So, all things you'd want to hear a potential coach say.

I dont know that "young" should be any pre-requisite, nor should some "age". This guy's what, 53? Old enough to not be 'pals' with players, but still entering the prime of his coaching career. What he does bring is the dynamic, smart operator, and success. He's won things, and managed a massive club, and a national team. He would immediately demand attention & respect from the players just by standing there. Not to mention help in luring transfers.

There's a few guys out there that I think could do the job, bring us back to where we should be, and maybe more. None of them would do it as quickly as this guy. I'd bet Enrique would have us challenging for top4 next season.

I wouldn't assume lack of commitment, everything indicates the opposite. What gives you the impression he'd be a total dick? 'Doing us a favor' as you said? I mean, the guy is actively pursuing the position, and he's recognized as a pretty sharp cat, you'd assume he's aware of what he'd be joining... Feels better to me than some guy the new DOF knows from before that he's gotta essentially drag from his temp retirement to come in and reluctantly coach.

He's not my #1 pref, but he may get us back breathing and winning fastest. Add a few years of Mason working under him, and we may do even more to secure long term successes.

Seems kinda like people are knocking him because he's a big personality uber-confident guy, maybe less about the footballing things.

'Doing us a favour' does not translate into being 'a total dick' as you want to see it. in fact, I'm pretty certain he isn't 'a total dick'.

There are agents, many of whom I know who all say he is extremely arrogant and believe he'll think he will be doing a PL club a favour (if it's not one of the big 4 jobs)...so, I know what I know., and it is of course my opinion based on what I know.

so, in my mind, he doesn't fit the profile of the type of coach we need to recruit for this 'project'.

I really don't understand the hate for Ange. He's not my preferred option but he's still in the mix for good reason. Of the remaining candidates he's considered a pretty safe option by many.

In fairness, a little late perhaps, but his track record is solid enough, but it's a big step up from the pub league, who I still equate to the 3rd tier of English football, with the pitches and often the players to match.

That's my main problem with him, but, who knows, if it is him, let's hope it is an inspired choice!

In fairness, a little late perhaps, but his track record is solid enough, but it's a big step up from the pub league, who I still equate to the 3rd tier of English football, with the pitches and often the players to match.

That's my main problem with him, but, who knows, if it is him, let's hope it is an inspired choice!
Look could he possibly fare any worse than Maureen or Conte? Somehow i very much doubt it.

My preferred option remains Rodgers who is proven however he also comes with lots of baggage. Every appointment is a risk. The million dollar question will be if they are a risk worth taking.

Seriously, if Monchi becomes our DoF it gives us way more latitude with the next manager appointment because the manager will be following the club ethos, not the other way around.

'Doing us a favour' does not translate into being 'a total dick' as you want to see it. in fact, I'm pretty certain he isn't 'a total dick'.

There are agents, many of whom I know who all say he is extremely arrogant and believe he'll think he will be doing a PL club a favour (if it's not one of the big 4 jobs)...so, I know what I know., and it is of course my opinion based on what I know.

so, in my mind, he doesn't fit the profile of the type of coach we need to recruit for this 'project'.

Listen, if some guy came in with that attitude, I'd 100% say he was being a total dick. Nobody wants someone like that. And you're right, he isn't.

Just think it's a little thin to base your decision on conjecture about his level of narcissism. I'd prefer consideration to be about what he can do with the team on the pitch. And how fast. Honestly, if he came for 2 seasons, got us back into CL, and then left as we appointed his mentee Ryan Mason....

Btw, if you dont think Big Ange isn't 'extremely arrogant', whoah do you have another thing comin! (you also know about the France thing ya?)

One could imagine Lucho hired, Gil comes back, we sign Laporte, and blam half the squad speaks/understands Spanish. Viola! ;)

All of these managers are going to be arrogant. You have to be to be able to say "I'm the man who knows best to lead this club". It's about not being cocky with your confidence and then belittling those around you/the club.

There is a big difference between confidence in oneself and arrogance. The first allows other people to be great around you the other can’t stand equals.

Jose Mourinho is the epitome of arrogance

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.