New gaffer thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

New gaffer thread

Interim Blackpool boss Terry McPhillips has publicly stated for the first time that he wants the vacant manager’s job on a permanent basis. Since Gary Bowyer’s shock resignation just one game into the season, McPhillips has overseen three wins, two draws and just one defeat.
His latest win came at Doncaster Rovers last night, when Blackpool progressed to the third round of the League Cup with a deserved 2-1 win. McPhillips has appeared increasingly interested in the job in recent weeks but last night was the first time he confirmed his intentions to take the post.
He said: “I told you I’ve been loving it and, yes, I think I’d like the job. “We had a conversation on Monday, so it’s not on the back of this game. I spoke with the club, so we will see what happens.”
As in the previous round, Pool came from behind to earn their place in tomorrow night’s draw. Goals from Pool’s two summer signings from non-league, Michael Nottingham and Harry Pritchard, saw the Seasiders claim victory, having fallen behind to Alfie May’s effort. The duo had also found the net in Pool’s first-round 3-1 win against Barnsley, when McPhillips’ men had again found themselves 1-0 down. He added: “The players have been superb again and I can’t fault them. “We made a load of changes – they made six and we made five – so the strength in depth is good and we have one or two to come back from injury, so it’s exciting. I thought we were good value for the win. “I’ve just watched the clips back and I thought we made the better chances again. The stats will show we had more shots and more corners. “In the end we have scored two and they have scored one. “That’s twice now we have come from behind in this competition, so I’m delighted. Again the two lads from non-league have scored.” Pool were once again without wantaway defender Curtis Tilt, who was left out of the squad for the second game running. Championship side Ipswich Town could be set to seal a loan move ahead of Friday’s deadline, with a view to a permanent deal in January. When asked why Tilt was once again left out, McPhillips said: “He got injured in training on Monday and got a bad knock after a collision with Chris Taylor, so that was that. “He’s still tight and stuff. He’s got a tight hamstring and that’s it. “We’ll have to see on Friday at tea time (if he will remain a Blackpool player). “If he is, then hopefully he’s ready for Walsall on Saturday.”

McP has come across as an honest man, but this Tilt stuff is dragging on. Lets see how many games he misses after the Fri window closes.

Blackpool skipper Jay Spearing has lent his support to Terry McPhillips’ bid to become the club’s permanent manager. READ MORE: Tilt move to Ipswich 'very unlikely' McPhillips stated his intentions to take the job for the first time after Pool’s 2-1 League Cup win at Doncaster Rovers on Tuesday. Since Gary Bowyer’s shock resignation just one game into the season, McPhillips has overseen three wins, two draws and just one defeat. Spearing says the club needs clarity regarding the manager’s position but suggested McPhillips would be the right man to take the Seasiders forward. He said: “He’s told us from day one he is here to commit and he is going to work as hard as he can. We’re right behind him. “We just want clarity at the end of the day. He had a meeting with a few of the senior lads about going forward. “With everything that is going on at the club, we just need to concentrate on the football side but we need a bit of commitment and a bit of stability over who is going to be our gaffer. “If Terry wants it, then he has got to step up and take it. If he doesn’t want it, then he has to make way for whoever is going to come in. “Either way, if he sticks by the lads they will be right behind him as they showed at Doncaster and in the games before that.” Asked if the players would be pleased to see McPhillips takes the job, Spearing said: “Yes, of course we will.”

Read more at: https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/...-terry-mcphillips-for-blackpool-job-1-9325930

I'd give TMcP the job. Seen enough to know that he has us trying to play football and until the O's finally depart finishing at as high as level as possible has to be the target for the team.
Met my Saddlers mate after the game who was impressed by us.
Said Tilt looked outstanding, but when you consier the step up Nottingham has made - again bargain basement buying seeming to come up trumps. Never gave them a sniff bar a header at the end.
Daniels will only strengthen the defence, but fair play to Heneghan a solid display from him. Tilt playing alongside one of the loanee CH's makes a huge difference

I'd almost forgotten we have a temporary manager. I'd like the new owners to get GB back.

Current odds from Skybet
Terry McPhillips
1/4
Richie Wellens
5/1
Owen Coyle
10/1
Gary Taylor-Fletcher
16/1
Ian Holloway
16/1
Jack Lester
16/1
Simon Grayson
16/1

ie they haven't a clue

During half-time last night on ifollow the microphones were not switched off and you could hear the conversation between radio t'rovers and GTF.
Someone asked GTF about the mangers job, he said that he had been told that it wasn't the right time. He said it was TMcP's job if he wanted it, he laso said that he only met Natalie and not OO.
Something was said about the club and he said it was a chance to manage a League 1 club.
He sang along with the halftime songs too.....

Last edited:
The radio t'rovers bloke was asked if he wanted a brew by GTF, he said yes then added he was a f****ng knightmare as he never finished them.

It was interesting to say the least.

On the subject of ifollow - quality was good once it got up and running. I turned teh commentary off as he was a second ahead of the picture and you literallly knew what was coming.

The radio t'rovers bloke was asked if he wanted a brew by GTF, he said yes then added he was a f****ng knightmare as he never finished them.

It was interesting to say the least.

On the subject of ifollow - quality was good once it got up and running. I turned teh commentary off as he was a second ahead of the picture and you literallly knew what was coming.

In my case SEX, the commentary was about a half a second behind. But once we got picture and sound, the overall quality was great.
I missed the HT comments from GTF but I sensed from the way GTF was talking positively in his commentary about Terry that GTF was not getting the job.

The Chairlady did say in her first interview last Friday, and I quote:

Christopher was full of praise for the job Terry McPhillips has done “I’ve spoken to, in person, a handful of people and obviously we’re speaking to Terry because he’sTimes running out as tdone a great job for us in stepping up and looking after them. “There have been a couple of people (who have been ruled out) and we’re down to a shortlist "and next week we’ll confirm who the manager will be. "

Deserves the chancce.
He just said on radio t'rovers that the meeting planned for last Thursday was cancelled due to unforseen circumstances - says he wants the job.

Scrafton tweet:

Terry McPhillips has just taken a phone call and walked across the pitch towards Owen’s penthouse... can we expect an announcement later?

TMcP Climbs the dancers.jpg