Musical theatre/ live comedy gigs | Page 3 | Vital Football

Musical theatre/ live comedy gigs

On comedy theme used to go to a few when the Ritz was a live venue. Think I saw Victoria Wood, Ben Elton, Mary Whitehouse Experience, Who Dares Wins, Rik Mayall, Pamela Stephenson, Phil Cool.
Probably some I’ve forgotten

On comedy theme used to go to a few when the Ritz was a live venue. Think I saw Victoria Wood, Ben Elton, Mary Whitehouse Experience, Who Dares Wins, Rik Mayall, Pamela Stephenson, Phil Cool.
Probably some I’ve forgotten

Remember going to see Joe Longthorne at the Ritz. He was supported on the night by an up and coming comedian Bradley Walsh.

On comedy, we saw Little and Large and also Dave Alan

I also went to a mens' evening at which Bernard Manning was the main act. Tommy Docherty also had a spot. Manning was his typically over the top crude and bigoted self, but I learned a great lesson. His control of the microphone was masterful - he dictated the agenda and always had the last word. A great reminder of the adage "he who controls the pen.." And I realised (confirmed) that that his "microphone", was a parallel to the control the media had - and still have and sometimes abuse to this day

Alan Davies was ok. But like a lot of middle-aged comedians, it was mostly observational humour about his family.

Rob Newman on his "Evolution" tour was pretty cool, though. That was at the Drill Hall.

I used to go to loads in my uni years and shortly after. Sarah Millican before she got big, Phil Cool, Sean Locke, Omid Djalili, Ross Noble, Mitchell and Webb, Bill Bailey, Tony Law, Reeves and Mortimer. Haven't been to any for quite a while now though.

I used to go to loads in my uni years and shortly after. Sarah Millican before she got big, Phil Cool, Sean Locke, Omid Djalili, Ross Noble, Mitchell and Webb, Bill Bailey, Tony Law, Reeves and Mortimer. Haven't been to any for quite a while now though.

Yes, saw Bill Bailey in Hull not so long ago. Less stand-up, more... performance art?

Yes, saw Bill Bailey in Hull not so long ago. Less stand-up, more... performance art?
Absolutely. He played a banjo made from a Bible when I saw him, which was by accident! Went to Leeds Festival for the day, waiting between bands I wanted to see, discovered the comedy tent I had no idea about...and he was about to start! Jackpot!

I saw the touring production of Hair at Nottingham Theatre Royal, a couple of weeks before I left Lincoln in July 1970. Some years later, I noticed in the programme that the cast included Joan Armatrading and Floella Benjamin.

I saw the touring production of Hair at Nottingham Theatre Royal, a couple of weeks before I left Lincoln in July 1970. Some years later, I noticed in the programme that the cast included Joan Armatrading and Floella Benjamin.

Wow! That's cool... never seen it myself.

Contrary perhaps to my live concert list I do quite like a good musical. When my kids were younger did the usual Lion King, Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty in London & now look out for touring productions visiting Nottingham. Probably my favourite is Jersey Boys.
One of the most enjoyable being much closer to home, Oliver staged at the Cathedral

Reeves and Mortimer

I saw them do a live version of Shooting Stars many moons ago now...Matt Lucas and Ulrika Johnson were also there but not Mark Lamarr ( and I forget now who filled in )

As a live show it didn't really work I have to say. I like their chaotic type of comedy but stretching out a half hour TV show to 2 hours really showed

Our musical theatre experience has tended to be Rogers and Hammerstein amateur productions!!

But have also been to the Opera a handful of times. If you're thinking of Italy again, we went to Lake Garda several years ago, and probably the most spectacular live event we've ever been to - in terms of quality/location/presence/ambience was seeing Aida at the Roman arena in Verona
Brilliant setting! I’ve seen Aida and Carmen there.

Don't know how we got onto it, but while walking the dog this morning my wife and I recalled seeing Dick Emery at Shanklin. The same show appeared at both Sandown and Shanklin theatres on the same evening - the first act at Shanklin became the second act at Sandown and vice versa

I saw them do a live version of Shooting Stars many moons ago now...Matt Lucas and Ulrika Johnson were also there but not Mark Lamarr ( and I forget now who filled in )

As a live show it didn't really work I have to say. I like their chaotic type of comedy but stretching out a half hour TV show to 2 hours really showed
Yeah that's probably pushing it a bit! We saw them in Botts a few years back, not long after Bob's heart op. It was a mix of all sorts of stuff, including a song (and animation) about Henry VIII flying around pissing on things. Why...no idea.