Musical theatre/ live comedy gigs | Page 2 | Vital Football

Musical theatre/ live comedy gigs

Stewart Lee, however, is different class...

Oh, sure. There are some really good stand-ups. For me, though, their are just far too many of them, many of whom are just bang-average. The Edinburgh Festival is now just a fully-automated production line for them.

Seen Level 42 quite a number of times and bumped into Mick Hucknall at the Cologne Sporthalle again mid 80’s. We arrived quite early and he was sat outside reading the Sun with a Man U top on and of course our group had a bit of banter with him. More upto date Taylor Swift (Swifty) but that was a case of having to, otherwise the family wouldn’t get in. It was really good to be honest the set and everything such as atmosphere etc and especially when Robbie Williams popped up out the stage towards the end as a surprise guest. It’s all about parking your troubles and stresses escaping to be entertained for a night.

On the bucket list is U2, would love to see them live. I doubt somehow that will materialise. That is German’s gigging guide, not exactly on a par with some musical tastes on here but I’m happy !

Seen Level 42 quite a number of times and bumped into Mick Hucknall at the Cologne Sporthalle again mid 80’s. We arrived quite early and he was sat outside reading the Sun with a Man U top on and of course our group had a bit of banter with him. More upto date Taylor Swift (Swifty) but that was a case of having to, otherwise the family wouldn’t get in. It was really good to be honest the set and everything such as atmosphere etc and especially when Robbie Williams popped up out the stage towards the end as a surprise guest. It’s all about parking your troubles and stresses escaping to be entertained for a night.

On the bucket list is U2, would love to see them live. I doubt somehow that will materialise. That is German’s gigging guide, not exactly on a par with some musical tastes on here but I’m happy !

All musical tastes welcome German.Its just good to hear music live ( not that we can at the moment) I’ve watched a wide variety over the years and if the band is good it’s good,from classical to heavy rock, even enjoyed some rock-a-billy once or twice- local band. Would love to see U2 too.
edit....bumped into Chris Waddle outside Sheffield Arena many years ago

I'm a big fan of "Jesus Christ Superstar", partly because I think it's a cracking rock-musical, but also because Ian Gillan of DP fame was on the original recording.

Recently saw "Madame Butterfly " my first opera. Thought I'd not enjoy it but is was actually pretty good.

Our musical theatre experience has tended to be Rogers and Hammerstein amateur productions!!

But have also been to the Opera a handful of times. If you're thinking of Italy again, we went to Lake Garda several years ago, and probably the most spectacular live event we've ever been to - in terms of quality/location/presence/ambience was seeing Aida at the Roman arena in Verona

Took the wife to the comedy store in Manchester last year, when she needed some extra brightness in her life.
Mandy Knight and Paul Tomlinson were on and both were very funny. But, a fella called Steve Harris had me creasing up, a routine called "Cat" was superb (it's on YouTube, but I'd guess not everyones cup of tea).

All musical tastes welcome German.Its just good to hear music live ( not that we can at the moment) I’ve watched a wide variety over the years and if the band is good it’s good,from classical to heavy rock, even enjoyed some rock-a-billy once or twice- local band. Would love to see U2 too.
edit....bumped into Chris Waddle outside Sheffield Arena many years ago

"There's only two sorts of music I don't like, Country AND Western"
Bobby Heenan

Took the wife to the comedy store in Manchester last year, when she needed some extra brightness in her life.
Mandy Knight and Paul Tomlinson were on and both were very funny. But, a fella called Steve Harris had me creasing up, a routine called "Cat" was superb (it's on YouTube, but I'd guess not everyones cup of tea).

bit o‘blue, bit o’blue. Made me chuckle

Did the Zeebrugge-Hull run a few years ago now. Things didn’t bode well at check in looking at some of the attire of others and did wonder what was going on. Turns out the boat had more or less been booked out by Belgium Country and Weston groups. Everything on that sailing was C&W entertainment, line dancing you name it no escaping it. Always remember one C&W group The Honky Tonks From Dildonk. Mrs German seemed to embrace it, I retired to the bar !

Did the Zeebrugge-Hull run a few years ago now. Things didn’t bode well at check in looking at some of the attire of others and did wonder what was going on. Turns out the boat had more or less been booked out by Belgium Country and Weston groups. Everything on that sailing was C&W entertainment, line dancing you name it no escaping it. Always remember one C&W group The Honky Tonks From Dildonk. Mrs German seemed to embrace it, I retired to the bar !

A foretaste of the afterlife at Satan's pleasure?

I've just watched this. Nothing on tv, and had been talking about Eastwood western films at work today. Remembered seeing it on tv at the time, 10 or so years back.

Enjoyed The Buddy Holly Story. The Magic Flute, which was written as a musical
entertainment in it's time is an easy stab at Opera. Chicago didn't grab me at all.

Unfortunately my missus loves Musicals at the theatre and in order to get day release points for City matches I have had to endure quite a few of these over the years. Just before lock down it was The Sound of Music which was mildly tolerable but a few weeks before that was Joseph and his frilly top which was just horrible. Just detest Andrew LLoyd Webber stuff where all they do is bleeding sing. At least the Sound of Music one had some breaks where they just talk

Reminds me, saw Sound Of Music open air at Regents Park a couple of years ago and it was a fantastic experience. Some thing very special about seeing a production open air like that.

Reminds me, saw Sound Of Music open air at Regents Park a couple of years ago and it was a fantastic experience. Some thing very special about seeing a production open air like that.

A few years ago, my better-half went to see an outdoor production of Macbeth at York castle. Amazingly, just as the 3 witches started to do their stuff , a thunder-storm rolled over as a back-drop.

It then proceeded to pour down for the remainder of the production which, in true "the show much go on" stylee did, indeed, go on. When one character announced "The Queen is dead!" some wag from the crowd shouted "I hear she drowned!".