Moussa Sissoko - Player Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

Moussa Sissoko - Player Thread

Onomah has been poor lately and Villa fans want rid. Sissoko has done a fair job within his limitations and without him our MF may have been under pressure.

He has been improving within a time frame but is not the player of a few years ago. I see glimpses of his potential and his fitness seems better.

He is a Spurs player regardless of his wages etc and I would rather support than slate . He may he moved on soon and I'm fine with that but he and Dembele will need replacing IMO as we are bare bones in MF otherwise.

The fact that we r talking about Sissoko 'doing a job' for us at midfield shows how low we hv sunk from the pairing of 'newly minted and raring to go' midfield enforcing Dier plus Dembo (2 year ago) and the power of Wanya and Dembo last year.
Again, i m ok with all views here. It is just a matter of what level is everyone here is comparing against and what do u hope for our club to achieve.
However, Kano and gang wont hv so much patience to debate. U can see the gradual but definite shift in views coming from Kano and he (and me too!) wants continued improvement and success.
With Enic and Levy around, we wont get much of a chance. I used to think that Levy is brilliant but i sat down and quietly look back and realized that he and Joe is just milking the history and goodwill of the club. Levy's modus operandi is to punt on some half cooked player, let them hv first team apperances and sell at a minimum of 5m more than what we got him for. It is bcoz of our history as one of the bigger clubs and longer run in top division that most other clubs are willing to pay insane money for our discard (Wimmer, Carroll, Naughton, Chadli etc). Then spend some of that to give the illusion to fans that we r buying and the cycle continues. Meanwhile the money left in club coffers get more and more for them. Nothing wrong for businessman but bad news for us.
I hv supported Spurs for 35 years and only in recent few years we hv the good luck of having a core of decent youngsters turned good together and a few buys turning good but Levy refuses to break tradition and throw big sum on a few top signing for a final push. Instead he started breaking the team with Walker and then punt on Sanchez and Serge. But problem is the punts are not cheap. Total almost 70m. I would hv used this 70m and another 30m and buy someone substantial and we dont need to Google and find out who is he.
Oh well, the sad life of a Spurs supporter.

Sissoko cant play in the middle, his touch is awful and his passing is worse. On the right he can at least bully his way past left backs and offer a threat on the counter. If someone makes a half decent offer we need to rip their arm off.

Onomah won't make it at Spurs, he's not a top 4 player. Cash in on him.

Agree gus, our back up players aren't at the level we need them to be at. Sissoko, Onomah, N'Koudou, Llorente all need to go. Not good enough

He was always going to play more this season as we tried to compete in 4 competitions and it was inivitable we would pick up injuries.

I don't see a player that has improved, he looks fitter but that's about it.

IMO the worst signing we have ever made when you add up everything from transfer fee, wages, timing and what was needed.

In terms of wages....he is available to play and cover our MF. Wanyama, Winks and Dembele havnt been but we still have to pay their wages. I admit he is 4th choice behind those . His transfer fee we could get back.

He has improved over the player I saw start with us .

Nick Real Deal - 10/1/2018 13:21

In terms of wages....he is available to play and cover our MF. Wanyama, Winks and Dembele havnt been but we still have to pay their wages. I admit he is 4th choice behind those . His transfer fee we could get back.

He has improved over the player I saw start with us .

Honestly, do you think we will get the transfer fee back?.... who (apart from us) would be so stupid as to pay that amount for him?

I am so surprised that Poch keeps playing him because even if there has been some minute improvement, it certainly isn't enough to justify anyone paying much for him. It would have been better not to play him and hope some mug (maybe like Poch) will think they can get something worthwhile out of him...... reminds me of the saying about someone stupid......'keep your mouth shut and let everyone think you are stupid, instead of opening it and them knowing you are'

By playing him all Poch has done is prove that, even in todays market, we would be very unlikely to get more than 20m for him..... personally I wouldn't pay more than 5-6m!

We are possibly paying 6 mil per season for him. So 12 mil so far maybe ? I read it's being paid in instalments up to 5 years.

I get why Poch is playing him....for injury and rotation reasons. The options are Georgiou or other development squad.

I do think we will get our money back if it means 6 mil per season.

Levy has shown plenty stupidity in some dealings be it players or managers, scouts or whatever.

Think about this: Kane may be masking some of MP's shortcomings but MP maybe masking some of Levy's shortcomings.

80deg16minW - 10/1/2018 22:51

Think about this: Kane may be masking some of MP's shortcomings but MP maybe masking some of Levy's shortcomings.

Agree....and whilst I cant be arsed to do the stats, I wonder what our last couple of seasons would have turned out like if say Harry scored 75% of the goals he actually scored. And yes whilst I do know that it depends on what 75%, the point still remains that at that % maybe Poch would be in an iffy situation now......or unemployed

total spurs - 11/1/2018 08:14

80deg16minW - 10/1/2018 22:51

Agree....and whilst I cant be arsed to do the stats, I wonder what our last couple of seasons would have turned out like if say Harry scored 75% of the goals he actually scored. And yes whilst I do know that it depends on what 75%, the point still remains that at that % maybe Poch would be in an iffy situation now......or unemployed

I find it really odd people saying that Kane has masked MP's shortcomings because without Kane in the team, another striker would be there. That may have been Son, Janssen, Llorente or even somebody else. Without Kane playing that other striker would be getting far more game time and may be more important to our team. When Kane had two injury breaks last season we still continued scoring and our form was excellent.

I would argue that Kane is as much a problem as he is vital. With him he tends to command everything to go through him and he tries to do too much on his own but he is a world class striker who pulls it off. When you have a player like that a team can overly rely on, it tends to make a team one dimensional. Without Kane, the other players are forced to step up to a level they are capable of.

As for Sissoko, he really is the most frustrating player. I can see Poch trying to forge a partnership between Sissoko and Aurier but it isn't clicking and that is mostly down to Sissoko not being an intelligent player.

It was a thought Matic. Not sure I agree with it.....although it is more likely to be true this year than last.

We were much more balanced last season. For good reason. Our spine was intact. We haven't had that spine on the pitch even once this season.

80deg16minW - 11/1/2018 12:50

It was a thought Matic. Not sure I agree with it.....although it is more likely to be true this year than last.

We were much more balanced last season. For good reason. Our spine was intact. We haven't had that spine on the pitch even once this season.

I still think a lot of our issues this season were unavoidable. The Wembley move and the amount of injuries have been big disruptions and like you say, our spine has been broken. We will see in the coming months how much we have missed Wanyama and even though I was very critical of Toby's performances before his injury, having him back with be a massive boost. Plus I don't think Poch has an idea of a settled first team at the moment thanks to constant injury relapses from Dembele, Winks and Rose.

The balance comes from our wing backs and not having Walker or Rose has hit us hard. Davies was excellent earlier in the season but has faded and Trippier hasn't managed to properly get going. Aurier looks like he could become quite the player for us but only if he cuts out the dumb mistakes and learns to concentrate way more.

But like we always come back to, our depth is weak compared to all the teams above us.

We played very well without Rose. Not having the defense we had centrally with Vic in front of them and a solid partner for him is a bigger factor IMO. The base to attack from.

Granted we still had Walker for most of that period.
Fundamentally different team this season without Vic and Toby. I think not having Toby in front of him has affected Hugo as well. He's not as relaxed.

I said in another thread , that in my opinion, having Vic in the team allows the midfield more licence because of the insurance behind them . It also gives the back three or four more time to reorganise when needed because of Vic 's defending in front of them.
Sadly having you know who around doesn't help any of them , I didn't want to mention him but the thread is all about him

Walthamstow wanderer - 11/1/2018 16:30

I said in another thread , that in my opinion, having Vic in the team allows the midfield more licence because of the insurance behind them . It also gives the back three or four more time to reorganise when needed because of Vic 's defending in front of them.
Sadly having you know who around doesn't help any of them , I didn't want to mention him but the thread is all about him

So the defending he did as last man preventing a one on one with our keeper two games ago don't count as being any help ? Once again selective memory. He is also handy for heading set pieces away and has done so frequently, I guess that's no help either. Or making runs forward to provide a target to pass to and drawing opposition away as he takes one or two with him.