Moussa Sissoko - Player Thread | Vital Football

Moussa Sissoko - Player Thread

Spursex

Alert Team
I really wasn't convinced when we bought him, in fact after hearing from some barcode fans who watched him week in week out my heart dropped a little; inconsistent, disinterested, goes missing in games if it goes against him - although none of them ever said his first touch was as poor as it appeared when he signed for us.

His one get out of jail card with me was when I was being told that the people at Spurs were utterly dismayed at how lacking in fitness he was - I said as much here, and when he did start / get on it showed - his recovery was like watching Billy the overweight goat trying to run more than a few yards, pitiful.

On Saturday I was at the Everton game with a top PL scout that had tried hard before we signed him to get him (I've spent last season regreting that they didn't!) we had a long chat about Sissoko and he was convinced that when we signed him he was carrying a soft tissue injury and that put off the four other clubs he knew were after him; Manure, Leicester, Roma and Monaco! Plus of course us - said it all went down to the wire and was pretty cheesed off that we'd beaten him to his signature.

His view was that his lack of fitness had affected him badly, and that if we're patient his quality would shine through; he did think his confidence looks fragile, but believed that a couple of decent performances and that would get reset..

Anyway, as we saw last season he looked dreadful; last season I'd been told he'd been bought as a competitor/replacement for Dembele (for two reasons, before the Chinese changed their rules there was a strong belief that getting a vast sum for a crock would be smart business and secondly we knew he'd be having an op that may or may not solve his ankle issue).

But his fitness meant that his touch and his form was dire and the last thing we could do was trust him in the middle in an area where with us the work rate can be exceptionally high, so we gave him game time in his French squad position, but to me he still looked dreadful.

He's spent the season also having (I'm told) an attitude 'adjustment' - laughed my head off when I was told that Saturday - it seems Poch doesn't care what your international rep might have been, you either shape up or you're excluded.

Yesterday he said this:

“This season is totally different because I had the pre-season with the team”, claimed the French international.

“Last season I signed at the last minute and didn’t have the pre-season so it was difficult.

“Now I feel good and ready to fight, like everyone, and to try to give my best for the team. I hope I will do well this season and we will all do well in the league, in the Champions League and in the cups.

“When you start you’re always happy. The manager gave me my chance and I tried to give my best. I think I did well, like all the team, so I’m happy.”

As I've said many many times here; fitness affects form, touch, mentality and confidence - but it seems that he's just won Poch is first endorsement of his fitness by being played in the position he was bought for.

I wonder if I (and a few others here that's been dismayed at buying him) will have to end up eating large chunks of humble pie at the end of the season...(or before - preferably!)...

He and Dier imposed themselves on a very good CM pairing and whilst the rush by some to now claim that Everton 'weren't all that' - they weren't because we imposed our game on them and dominated them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems the Barcode fans are still laughing at him/us...

let's pray we have the last laugh - if I were Poch, I'd be sticking articles like this on his changing room wall space..

http://www.squawka.com/news/moussa-sissoko-why-my-spurs-situation-is-totally-different-now/990140

For us to have the last laugh he would have to turn into Viera or Toure and that isn't going to happen. At best he will be good. Hardly worth 30m is it?

I will give him credit where it's due like I did Saturday but it is obvious he is only here as we couldn't get shot of him in the summer.

Real Deal - 12/9/2017 12:39

For us to have the last laugh he would have to turn into Viera or Toure and that isn't going to happen. At best he will be good. Hardly worth 30m is it?

I will give him credit where it's due like I did Saturday but it is obvious he is only here as we couldn't get shot of him in the summer.

You know the only thing that gives me real hope is (as his name cropped up today) I recall when we held back doing the deal with RM for Modric and so he didn't have a pre-season and went to RM and struggled badly in his first season - he was attacked for just about every part of his game and continuously slagged off (even here!) - and voted the worst buy in la liga that season - then he has a full pre-season the following year and just got better and better until the RM faithful were calling him one of the best in Europe - just as we knew he was...

I'm sort of praying that the same could happen to Sissoko... :10: :17:

Nick Real Deal - 12/9/2017 13:09

Very doubtful. Useful squad player at best. I am willing him to improve though.

All we can do is hope that we've all been wrong about it him..

definitely wouldn't be against seeing the Sissoko/Dier CM pairing again to see if it was a fluke. Really liked the look of us in the middle, and combined with Sanchez, it brought out possibly the best performance by Ben Davies I've seen. Obviously it helps that Cuco Martina is bang average but in part that's because he couldn't handle our fluid movement.

If we are going to get more quality crosses in by freeing up our wing backs Llorente could be a threat this season. He is very good in the air.

freundorfoe - 12/9/2017 18:10

definitely wouldn't be against seeing the Sissoko/Dier CM pairing again to see if it was a fluke. Really liked the look of us in the middle, and combined with Sanchez, it brought out possibly the best performance by Ben Davies I've seen. Obviously it helps that Cuco Martina is bang average but in part that's because he couldn't handle our fluid movement.

They did look good as a pair. So like you I wouldn't be against seeing it again.

Spursex - 12/9/2017 13:01

Real Deal - 12/9/2017 12:39

You know the only thing that gives me real hope is (as his name cropped up today) I recall when we held back doing the deal with RM for Modric and so he didn't have a pre-season and went to RM and struggled badly in his first season - he was attacked for just about every part of his game and continuously slagged off (even here!) - and voted the worst buy in la liga that season - then he has a full pre-season the following year and just got better and better until the RM faithful were calling him one of the best in Europe - just as we knew he was...

I'm sort of praying that the same could happen to Sissoko... :10: :17:

Modric was younger though and a far more intelligent player. Sissoko has never been much more than a powerful athlete. He could only improve after last season but I have very little hope that he will become a better player.

There is player in him, that is clear. Is it a £30m plyer though? Not seen enough to make me think so, but here's hoping if he is discarded by us next summer we get no less than that.

Nick Real Deal - 13/9/2017 10:30

Greavswasthegreatest - 13/9/2017 08:51

100/1 shitsokko to score anyone? :2:

This season ?

What's the maximum bet ?

£1million and after that last minute effort ...yep I agree not this season, not ever ...FFS...people are saying there is a player in there somewhere....no there ain't

Greavswasthegreatest - 13/9/2017 21:31

Nick Real Deal - 13/9/2017 10:30

Greavswasthegreatest - 13/9/2017 08:51

100/1 shitsokko to score anyone? :2:

This season ?

What's the maximum bet ?

£1million and after that last minute effort ...yep I agree not this season, not ever ...FFS...people are saying there is a player in there somewhere....no there ain't

Kane and Son both missed chances. He is going to score this season . I bet you were shitting it when Sissoko broke through.

freundorfoe - 14/9/2017 10:09

was his 1 v 1 as bad on telly as it looked from where I was sat?

I was in the club wembley section to the side - and we saw a reply of it on the telly in the lounges behind us straight after - and yes, it really was that bad, poor touch and clearly a complete lack of confidence in what to do.

After almost believing there was some hope for him after the Everton game, I'm now right back to thinking the opposite :10: :17:

He somehow has to find some confidence in his abilities again - assuming he has them.

Whilst I have some sympathy for the guy because he must be under pressure (mostly from himself) every time he steps over the line.....but in the interests of Spurs, personally I hope he doesn't play for us again. Sometimes it feels like he must be a 'project' for Poch, why else would he give him the opportunities that he gives him. Crazy crazy crazy....

Whilst I am writing I see he has 5% vote on MOTM last night....good to know us SPurs fans have a sense of humour!