Middlesbrough (away) | Page 7 | Vital Football

Middlesbrough (away)

I had doubts about Cook's managerial ability for large periods throughout last season, but the run we went on towards the end of the season was very good and as we stayed up reasonably comfortably in the end, I was happy to admit that I was wrong in thinking that he should have been sacked earlier. I still think that Cook deserves a few more games or more to turn things around, but our performances do need to drastically improve. The win against Cardiff was excellent and unexpected, but the last few performances have been below par. It could be that we're just lacking confidence, but some of Cook's tactical decisions are problematic.

I really hope that things turn around in the next few games. Cook is a really nice bloke and clearly has an affinity for the club, so I desperately want him to do well. I just hope that my reservations about him are unfounded/exaggerated.

One of the problem's is that if we beat Qpr, as he's under pressure now is that he'll return to being ultra defensive. Not making any decision's to progress our position in the game.

When he's under pressure it seem's he tend's to play on the front foot which almost always work's out. But what happen's when he doesn't have that luck and it fail's.

When you look at his record he's only ever done well with a team that's expected to do well, when has he performed above and beyond the standard asked of him? You could argue Chesterfield, but he also failed badly at Accrington and Southport. He need's to want this badly to turn this around, otherwise out the door after Qpr.

If you think of the positives you might go to sleep happier ?
Preston away last season was a 4-0 thumping.
This season a 3-0 (thumping)
Middlesborough away last season 2-0
Middlesborough away this season 1-0

..... an Improvement !

The post match interview last time around.
Not much has *cough* *cough* changed

Fed up of that shit after 10 seconds "i sound like a broken record" yep, "it's individual errors" yep and most are Cooks
Most amazingly Cook says that Tony (Pulis ?) is a great experienced manager.
FFS does our manager not realise he's not the boro boss anymore ? Says alot for preparation ...!

Crikey .... didn't think I would ever say this, but this reminds me of a Malky Mackay
post match interview.

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2019/august/Reaction-Paul-Cook-s-post-Middlesbrough-thoughts/

"We're very flat and disappointed, but we did smashing in the game. We played well and created chances, whilst limiting Middlesbrough to very, very few chances."

"Our lads were excellent tonight and when you look at our fans, they're standing up and clapping the players off. I think as a manager and as a player, when your supporters clap you off at the end, you know you've done okay."

Maybe those who went tonight are actually barking (if the above statement is true)

Onwards to QPR and a much needed win.

Paul Cook "I think the level of peformance was very good tonight"

thats it folks, this is exactly why our away form is this bad, because that is the standard he wants from his team. That was no way in any shape or form, close to anything "good". But because Cook believes it is, the players will be satisfied peforming like that away from home.

Trouble as well is that the players will be thinking 'well the gaffer thot our performance was very good tonight'......which will in turn will hardly inspire an improvement from the players at QPR on Saturday .

Crikey .... didn't think I would ever say this, but this reminds me of a Malky Mackay
post match interview.

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2019/august/Reaction-Paul-Cook-s-post-Middlesbrough-thoughts/

"We're very flat and disappointed, but we did smashing in the game. We played well and created chances, whilst limiting Middlesbrough to very, very few chances."

"Our lads were excellent tonight and when you look at our fans, they're standing up and clapping the players off. I think as a manager and as a player, when your supporters clap you off at the end, you know you've done okay."

Maybe those who went tonight are actually barking (if the above statement is true)

Onwards to QPR and a much needed win.
A Malky interview from a Joyce Clone with worse results than Coyle and less style than Rosler.

A selection of Cooks post match comments:

"We left Preston very, very flat and disappointed. Obviously the result here's disappointing, but I thought we did smashing in the game. We played well, we created chances, we limited Middlesbrough to very few chances.

But our lads were excellent tonight, and they went over to the fans at the end, and they were all stood up clapping them.

As a manager, and a player, when your supporters clap you off at the end like that, I think that means you've done okay.

While we're really disappointed to have come away with nothing, I think the level of performance was very good."

If that is a good performance in his eyes then he's got to go. He's taking the piss. He should be ashamed of that perforamnce that was worse than Preston as at least Preston were good and played us off the park Boro were diabolical and we still got comfotably beaten.

Last edited:
We were good for 15-20 mins. That’s not good enough. He really needs to go and it sounds as though he’s clutching straws and taking any positives he can. We were awful tonight against a potential relegation rival.

Where's Martinez when you need him?
Don't know Paul but a lot of Jewell, our greatest ever manager playing the best football ever, over two promotions, wouldn't go a miss.
Players should be looking at how we played in the year we won promotion to the greed league for inspiration.
Sick of this drab negative shite.

You can include your mate morsy in this, him and evans must be the slowest least productive midfield pairing in the league.

ps

But I do blame Cook for morsy's faults, he should be just sat central with two mobile players at the side of him, and all morsy should do is win balls, pick up loose balls(which he does well)and play short passes to at least one player who can move forward with the ball.

Exactly. The role we used to have Perkins doing so well, in front of centre backs, defensive midfield.

You can include your mate morsy in this, him and evans must be the slowest least productive midfield pairing in the league.

ps

But I do blame Cook for morsy's faults, he should be just sat central with two mobile players at the side of him, and all morsy should do is win balls, pick up loose balls(which he does well)and play short passes to at least one player who can move forward with the ball.

You cant wait can you ?... Morsy wasn't the worst on show by any means...

Our biggest problem at the moment is defending...we have a goalkeeper who IMO worse than Jones and big strong lads at centre back who cant read a cross to save their lives.

Marshall has been horrible Jones needs to start.

Byrne and Robinson aren't comfortable enough going forward to play wing back nor do they have the final product. They are woefully short on final product.

Where's our young lads?

I said this preseason but as good as Moore is I believe we can be successful without a target man. Simply having him on or garner on makes us one dimensional and predictable. If we could use him and switch it up a bit I'm all for it but I can't.

It appears that we are no better at CB no matter who plays. Dunkleys form has been on a huge nosedive since we were promoted he's not good enough and kipre just makes daft errors of concentration. There's no way he should be losing in the air to anyone like asombalonga. He's a brute.

We need to play without fear and attack from the off. We've thrown away points from a rank average Boro side and it's the same old story as last year. We are looking amongst the worst sides in this league but in paper I have us a mid table one. Book stops with Cook

It looks like a long hard season ahead. Boro look mid table at best and have misplaced countless passes. Whenever they do get any possession in the final third it looks like they’ll score though. We just look clueless all over the park and there seems to be no understanding between any of them. Lowe looks a threat and seems our best chance of scoring. For all his good work winning headers and battling away, is Moore actually a goal threat for us? I know it’s early but I don’t think the way we’re playing is going to help him, ‘just lump it to the big lad’. Get forward and cross it from good positions, like they did for the first goal.

Totally agree. They just look like, what they are, a cobbled together team with no structure or obvious plan. I have said from Game One that Marshall was hopeless. The observation that in previous clubs he started slow but came to life later is certainly no recommendation. Bin him. Kipre is not a good defender but he has pace and it might be worth trying him alongside Moore upfront. But you need a manager who embraces new ideas. Cook is not that man.

Totally agree. They just look like, what they are, a cobbled together team with no structure or obvious plan. I have said from Game One that Marshall was hopeless. The observation that in previous clubs he started slow but came to life later is certainly no recommendation. Bin him. Kipre is not a good defender but he has pace and it might be worth trying him alongside Moore upfront. But you need a manager who embraces new ideas. Cook is not that man.
Your seriously suggesting playing kipre up front ? Are you on drugs

Writing this with a now calm head .
Since the signing of Moore ( who i like ) we have already become long a long ball team now including long throws .
The problem is we don`t know how to play it properly as a flick on needs a player running in behind ,
Marshall is stuck on his line and we can`t defend crosses for toffee
We don`t look like scoring goals and can`t keep possession
All in all not what i expected after winning V Cardiff
Cook will go if this continues

Sat much too deep as well when on the ball. Moore played well contesting balls in the air but is no danger 40 yards from goal. Lowe looked good, Massey was terrible.

Thought Ayala and Shotton (the irony), gave our centre backs a lesson in how to defend crosses.

I was happy with the new formation at kick off but my biggest fear with it happened as the midfield was miles away from every attack we had.