Middlesbrough (away) | Page 6 | Vital Football

Middlesbrough (away)

They knew how to defend a ball into the box, that was the difference, they were very poor tonight them lot, and that makes things even worse for us sadly. If we make a change then we really need to make a change now.

Robinson for example was worthless with the ball, kept running into player's, has the pace but never used it. Surely in training he doesn't continuously give the ball away. Was decent defensively, but did nothing go forwards, if the manager choose's a flat back five, surely the fullback's have to be on top of their game to make that work. He's a player that seem's to not have clue what to do with the ball at his feet. Better when he use's his pace to run onto the ball. Yet is allowed to waste possession throughout before being subbed too late.

did they score no they are on the pitch to score

Quite clearly but they couldn't do much more, they are not Messi and can run past the whole team to score, none of them had no support when they won the ball/got into a good position.

The whole team has no idea what they are doing, there is no philosophy, hoof and hope for the best will only get us relegated.

Robinson for example was worthless with the ball, kept running into player's, has the pace but never used it. Surely in training he doesn't continuously give the ball away. Was decent defensively, but did nothing go forwards, if the manager choose's a flat back five, surely the fullback's have to be on top of their game to make that work. He's a player that seem's to not have clue what to do with the ball at his feet. Better when he use's his pace to run onto the ball. Yet is allowed to waste possession throughout before being subbed too late.

Robinson was decent tonight in some spells, but I think every player when they had the ball had no idea what to do with it, no movement from the players, so we play a hit and hope ball, praying for a mistake from Boro, and for how shit they were tonight, after the first 20 minutes, other than Moore winning balls, they had not much to do.

Our problem is a total lack of quality...a team of plodders and we all know what happens to plodders.

You can include your mate morsy in this, him and evans must be the slowest least productive midfield pairing in the league.

ps

But I do blame Cook for morsy's faults, he should be just sat central with two mobile players at the side of him, and all morsy should do is win balls, pick up loose balls(which he does well)and play short passes to at least one player who can move forward with the ball.

Last edited:
You can include your mate morsy in this, him and evans must be the slowest least productive midfield pairing in the league.

One of the issue's with our midfield pairing is that they're not given the freedom to support the fullback's. They play a casual game of sitting central, instead of rotating across the field, supplying cover to the fullback's whilst the wide player's recover their position. Leaving the fullback's isolated, which usually end's in a free cross, which has caused quite a few goal's already this season.

If the defensive midfielder near the ball went to close down and the other sit in front of the back four we wouldn't have conceded as many as we have. But instead they both sit central and allow them to have their way our wide.

Preston were crap, but they had the freedom to play 1 on 2 verses the fullback, they had a very strong showing out wide because we allowed them to play.

I know walton got slated on here but I think he's proving a far better option so far this season. Hopefully Marshall gets his shit together.

Evans is useless in a deep lying role id rather try young Weir and shove Evans further forward as he's too slow and can't defend. I like his ability on the ball though it's just about playing to his strengths like we did back end of last year.

It's time for Lang Weir and geldhardt to be given a chance. Also think enobakhare looks good if we can find a way of giving him more room to express himself. Lowe and enobakhare and windass up front would be pace to burn. We will have to play another way now we don't have our target men fit. Is cook even capable?

Three CBS worked terribly tonight mostly because our wing backs are abysmal going forward and dribbling. Byrne needs dropping not good enough at all. Robinson is a back 4 kind of bloke every day of the week. He's good but has trampoline feet.

Massey isn't fit and lacks sharpness. Lowe looks promising but prefers the right, get him swapped.

Overall inept mind numbing dreadful performance. Our new lads need to get their shit together. Except for Lowe and Moore who have been good. Marshall awful, Williams bloody naive idiot getting a red come on lads get it sorted

I doubt we have a player another Championship team would want, yet Cook says we have a better squad than last season. I beg to differ.

Morsy and Evans could both be decent midfielders in this league but we play them too deep. Robinson needs to learn to pass and move and use his pace going forward. I actually think Massey would be a decent wing back. He’s quick, a team player and is good defensively but struggles to beat a man when in possession.

I doubt we have a player another Championship team would want, yet Cook says we have a better squad than last season. I beg to differ.

We have a better team, but we don't have a Reece Jame's who carried us in midfield last season. When he played midfield he was like having two player's on the pitch. Yet it took 31 games for this manager to realize he was better in that position, when he showed it after 9 games.

Depressed dwdan!

If you think of the positives you might go to sleep happier ?
Preston away last season was a 4-0 thumping.
This season a 3-0 (thumping)
Middlesborough away last season 2-0
Middlesborough away this season 1-0

..... an Improvement !

The post match interview last time around.
Not much has *cough* *cough* changed

Looks attack minded to me, 3centre halves, 2 wing backs with pace, 3 in midfield and Lowe up fttop picking up Moore knock downs! Can't complain about that line up
Well the attack minded approach brought us one shot on target. Can wing backs or left and right backs portrayed as wing backs give us any more going forward than a traditional winger? No. Lowe is a right winger so that's where he should play. Jacobs or Naismith are left wingers so either should play. Those two beating men and putting crosses in to Moore to either convert or lay off to another striker couldn't possibly produce any less chances on target.
Positive, we only conceded one.

"It's time for Lang Weir and geldhardt to be given a chance. Also think enobakhare looks good if we can find a way of giving him more room to express himself. Lowe and enobakhare and windass up front would be pace to burn. We will have to play another way now we don't have our target men fit. "

I was thinking the same, especially Gelhardt, but unfortunately he's injured. If Moore is also injured Lang could get a chance. Weir can't do any worse than Evans and Morsy.

Our problem may be not knowing our best formation due to being hamstrung during the window and only getting players in late? I'm hopeful that it'll come good as as you say, this squad has pace to burn.

I didn't watch it, but my mate who hadn't seen them this season did. He said we are worse than last term,we have bought first division players, to go with the rest of the team and the manager that are of the same standard. And there is only one outcome.

not many cook fans on here tonight

I had doubts about Cook's managerial ability for large periods throughout last season, but the run we went on towards the end of the season was very good and as we stayed up reasonably comfortably in the end, I was happy to admit that I was wrong in thinking that he should have been sacked earlier. I still think that Cook deserves a few more games or more to turn things around, but our performances do need to drastically improve. The win against Cardiff was excellent and unexpected, but the last few performances have been below par. It could be that we're just lacking confidence, but some of Cook's tactical decisions are problematic.

I really hope that things turn around in the next few games. Cook is a really nice bloke and clearly has an affinity for the club, so I desperately want him to do well. I just hope that my reservations about him are unfounded/exaggerated.

I had doubts about Cook's managerial ability for large periods throughout last season, but the run we went on towards the end of the season was very good and as we stayed up reasonably comfortably in the end, I was happy to admit that I was wrong in thinking that he should have been sacked earlier. I still think that Cook deserves a few more games or more to turn things around, but our performances do need to drastically improve. The win against Cardiff was excellent and unexpected, but the last few performances have been below par. It could be that we're just lacking confidence, but some of Cook's tactical decisions are problematic.

I really hope that things turn around in the next few games. Cook is a really nice bloke and clearly has an affinity for the club, so I desperately want him to do well. I just hope that my reservations about him are unfounded/exaggerated.
It's not about being nice though its about results first and last and this is simply not good enough