Match Thread: Wycombe Wanderers v Lincoln City | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Wycombe Wanderers v Lincoln City

Is there any substance to the belief that Teddy Bishop performs better from the bench?

Using our player ratings for this season, Bishop's average scores are:
Start: 5.60 (11 ratings)
Sub: 6.41 (9 ratings)

When starting, he has reached the par score of 6.0 only four times from eleven ratings, and three of those were only just (6.04, 6.09, 6.13).

As a substitute, he has reached par six times out of nine, and only once has he fallen a long way below (5.13 at Accrington).

This is based only on our ratings of course, and it is a small sample. Given that it is often difficult to get into a game from the bench, the numbers are interesting nonetheless.

Possibly more a question of positional. When started he often was pushed forward as one of the wide attackers. That doesn't suit him. Yesterday he came on and played in the middle as we were playing a 2 up front and it suited his style of play so much better.

Talk about extremes - For all of the first half and a bit of the second I was watching wondering if that was what a couple of weeks working together produced, I'd rather they didn't.

Slow, turgid, timid, lacking in self belief or direction spring to mind. And please if you are going to play two up top, at least give them some scraps to play off and preferably even an actual meal would be nice. When we went long we hit it hopelessly towards the small guy - every freakin time, and when we rarely tried to play a through ball, yep we passed it straight to their defender every time as well. Clearly the two forwards are new, a work in progress and need to develop an understanding with their team mates plus one another, but bloody Hell that first half shit show was not their fault.

Also when the opposition have only one play i.e. get it wide and lob it in to the big man at the far post you must, must, must do better. Everyone knew it was coming before the game and they even paid the courtesy of a dress rehearsal before saying 'we warned you' and taking the lead with some deja vu.

Then, cue some timely subs and a shuffle of shape to something more logical to unqualified onlookers and it was like a switch had been flicked. It was noticeable how much more quickly we were moving the ball, players were moving and on the move, and passes suddenly had accuracy, purpose with intent. Decision making was eminently better, I won't embarrass one aberration (the player owned it at the time), which would detract from a commendable team transformation. Suddenly the confidence returned, the players were noticeably energised, people were actually demanding the ball and there was a pattern of play, I repeat a pattern. Something not seen much lately unless you count getting the ball, taking a touch, another one, before slowly passing it back where it had come from or lumping it aimlessly up the pitch.

I've touched upon the subs but a special mention for Reeco who looked a class above from his positioning, technique, decision making, composure and delivery. He wasn't the only one to make a difference, the whole team contributed by lifting themselves out of the torpor that had gone before, no mean feat given how bad it had been.

In the end, well done for a point thoroughly deserved and a thrilling last 20 minutes.

Wycombe really are a limited one trick pony so Derby and Peterborough will pose a whole level of different challenge but my plea is simple. Please have a go, carry on with the intent, belief and determination shown in the last 20 minutes at Wycombe and if the opposition are simply better, so be it; there is no shame in that. Then again they might not be, so unless we give it a go we will never know.

Last edited: