Match Thread: Wycombe Wanderers v Lincoln City | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Wycombe Wanderers v Lincoln City

What did people make of Moylan in his cameo appearance? Can he play in the same side as Taylor and Draper? Leaves us shorter in midfield then. Tricky balance across the side.

What did people make of Moylan in his cameo appearance? Can he play in the same side as Taylor and Draper? Leaves us shorter in midfield then. Tricky balance across the side.
Looked sharp. I’d probably play him as a 2nd striker alongside Draper or Taylor.

Tbh, depends on how we’re going to play. I think 5-3-2 is probably best right now to get us playing better football. Could play alongside them in a 5-2-3.

Always interesting to read the views of opposing fans. Consensus on Gasroom is that Wycombe dropped off with half an hour to go and allowed Lincoln to attack them. Nothing to do with our substitutions, then.

"We have made a procession of awful teams look exceptional late in games" is my favourite comment.

Looked sharp. I’d probably play him as a 2nd striker alongside Draper or Taylor.

Tbh, depends on how we’re going to play. I think 5-3-2 is probably best right now to get us playing better football. Could play alongside them in a 5-2-3.
I have a feeling that Taylor will be playing whatever the rest of the team looks like, and Draper is the only really physical presence we have. I see Moylan as a 10, perhaps that would allow Hamilton to play deeper and help secure what has been a paper-thin midfield in recent weeks. Therefore, I can see all three playing.

Trying to decipher what our best XI is or will be as the coming weeks unfold is like trying to crack a code. Seems like Skoobs is identifying a winger (Hackett being the other side), I'm struggling to figure out which position the experienced player target might be, I initially thought fullback which might mean Roughan benched. What is our best centre back pairing really? One minute I think it's Eyoma and Jackson, the next Mitchell and Jackson.

Actually the more I think about it I'd target an experienced goalkeeper - that could be the position. Jensen not convincing. Kicking not up to scratch and general command of his area not quite on it I don't think. So I reckon winger (likely Leeds loanee) + experienced 'keeper. Perhaps he sees Roughan as a full back, who knows.

I think we'll see Reeco playing on the left more, and bring in a similar type of player on the right as well. With having Draper and Taylor, I don't think wingers on their wrong foot and in-swinging crosses are suited to that. You look at some of the latter's goals and they come from low crosses from correct side wingers.

On Bishop, he seems far better suited to a sub role. We never seem to get enough out of him when he starts games. Whether that's because he's just not a starter and/or he paces himself because he knows he struggles to last a full game and is wary of breaking down I don't know, but I'd rather us see what we did at the beginning of the season and use him as an impact sub because he's not really shown enough in the 3(?) years he's been here that he can nail down a starting position.

The 4 at the back is perhaps a conversation to be had but I think to make sure we're not out of games and to try and avoid isolating CB's who aren't blessed with pace, we'd probably have to play with two 'sitting'. That would give another body in midfield and help to progress the ball better. I'd be wary of just throwing another attacking player on and just assuming another body in the final third means we score goals, it's not as simple as that!

Unfortunately didn't see any of that so can't really comment.
Happy that we managed to stop losing games
If you equalise so late you have to be happy with a point I guess.

Thought we were awful first half. Started with the wrong team and wrong formation.

Couldn't understand why we were banging long balls up to the smallest player in our team and we created very little again apart from Duffy's excellent effort that hit the post.

The game changed on the substitutions and if we had started as we finished we would of been out of sight of Wycombe who were about as average as you could get in this division.

I hope he is a bit braver with the formation and team selection next week against Derby.
We're at home and we have to be on the front foot. Derby are decent but beatable and with another week of work on the training ground hopefully things can be fine tuned a bit more to give us the consistency of performance more of what we saw in the last 20 minutes in an attacking sense.

Overall was pleased with stopping the rot. Would of taken a point before the game, the coach and his team have seen the team with the new players involved in competitive action and we go again next week in which we know will be a much sterner test in front of what will be a full house and tasty atmosphere.

Good job Skoobs took notice of my first half assessment and got some creative midfield players on the pitch second half. It did take him 20mins though

Last edited:
Actually the more I think about it I'd target an experienced goalkeeper - that could be the position. Jensen not convincing. Kicking not up to scratch and general command of his area not quite on it I don't think. So I reckon winger (likely Leeds loanee) + experienced 'keeper. Perhaps he sees Roughan as a full back, who knows.
Roughan full back - never

Back home via the local Chinese Take-away which is being devoured as I type. We took our time getting into that game today but certainly deserved something out of it with that late leveller. Quite ironic that it came in the time added on to the added on time due to Wycombe trying to waste time on a non-existent injury. I think Skubala will have learned a great deal today. Training is all well and good but you need opponents to really put the tactics into work and some in game tweaks were needed. That though was a huge positive. The substitutions we made early with Bishop and Hackett turned the game in our favour and and probably for the first time allowed Skubala to go to something like the kind of formation he wants, that being a 4 at the back with early crosses seeking out a front 2. A variation on a 4-4-2 really. Shows that we now have options and it will be fascinating to see how the players are fitted into the jigsaw as the season progresses.
I also thought that the combination of Draper and Taylor looked promising. Neither had a real clear view of goal today, but there was a moment in the first half where Taylor whipped in an early cross and Freddie had made a run to the near post, the kind of run no-one else has really made this season. It was well defended but showed an indication of that partnership.
Reeco and Ted contributed well after they had been brought on. Hackett looked as though he's been given reign to have a go at defenders.
Interesting little cameo by Moylan. He's got a great shot on him.
So overall good result and seeds of improvement. I don't think anyone can reasonably expect that last 15/20 minutes from us, or any team, for a full 90 minutes, but periods of such pressure and attacks will please most of those member of the very hard to please fan base.

Last edited:
Yes. We switched to a back four with Roughan at left back and Hackett left side midfield. Which turned out to be more left wing, in olden day terms.
We played 4-4-2 for the whole game. When Burroughs came off, Lasse dropped back into right-back, up until then he was right-sided midfield.

We played 4-4-2 for the whole game. When Burroughs came off, Lasse dropped back into right-back, up until then he was right-sided midfield.

From being there I'm unconvinced we were 4-4-2 throughout. Mitchell, Jackson and Roughan started in a 3 with Burroughs and Duffy pushing up a Wing Backs at first. It was only when Ted came on for Burroughs and Reeco for Duffy we went 4, although Lasse on the right and Sean on the left were very forward for that last 20 odd minutes