MATCH THREAD v Newcastle 12-30 kick off 13/4 away | Page 18 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD v Newcastle 12-30 kick off 13/4 away

I think 6th is where we will finish. Newcastle will overtake us. We have been unable to cope with a 41 game season. How will we cope with European football.
Sitting in the stadium this season, I have lost count of the number of the times I have sat there open mouthed at the amount of space we have been leaving in defence. This has happened against teams at all levels and it hasn’t changed at all all season. It happened again yesterday against a Newcastle team with two pacy wingers and a top class striker. Did Ange not think it was worth mitigating against this in some way. Of course he didn’t.
Liverpool look vulnerable to the counter attack. Maybe we will change our tactics a little to account for this when we play them. Or maybe we will continue to play our game because Liverpool only have Salah, Diaz and Nunez to concern us!

I do agree, but we have to put this in context - absences, both forced and unforced, the on going effects of some bad injuries - I could go on and on, but I won't as the progress is still in my mind there to see.
I do understand the need for restraint however in successive away games we've come away with drubbings. I've not seen us as naive since Ossie was here. My God that was a long time ago & a period in our history i wish to erase from my memory for good.

I will keep saying it....don't really care where we land this year...this year is about getting rid of deadwood and bringing in whoever the hell AP wants. We have done some of that, a LOT more needs to happen obviously.

Honeymoon was over weeks ago....teams do their research and honestly it isn't hard to figure us out. My ONLY beef with AP is why he isn't adjusting his tactics....I don't give a flying shit what your style is....ALL GREAT TEAMS have shown themselves to be adaptable and play different styles to dictate matches and continuously exploit whatever the hell the oppositions sends at them.

I understand AP maybe doesn't have what he needs...but you at least have to try and adjust and change. I honestly hope he does learn and starts.

Like Mutt, I am not in the sack AP camp....BUT next year is a very important year. There will be no 'honeymoon' period, teams will attack us like they are now from the get go. This league is too good to win on talent alone....you must be tactically and strategically proficient. This is a results based business.....so figure it out AP and do it quickly.

In recent times both Harry Redknapp and Poch led us into the CL, playing great football and with a little more investment in the squad might well have landed us a trophy or two. This was in the face of blatant financial double dealing by some of our rivals and concurrent with developing world class facilities. Both Harry and Mauricio had a track record in the PL to recommend them and the players responded fairly quickly to their methods. The problem for Ange is his lack of a track record at this level so he must be able to demonstrate real potential. He talks a great game and has given us watch ability again so deserves at least another crack at next season however we finish this one. But, and it is a big but, he must quash this feeling of naivity that hangs over him. Frankly, if we kick off next season playing so open, I'd give him 10 games max.
We can't forget that Poch finished mid table with us in his first season, Ange needs time to adapt too.

Nobody was more pissed off than me , I can guarantee that , and I just wanted to walk away from everything to do with Tottenham during the game .

But …… we have to remember , this is really early , we have two more windows before the end of next season , which is when I will be judging everybody .

I am going to be calm and collected and accept that there will be seasons like this one before we settle down .

We can't forget that Poch finished mid table with us in his first season, Ange needs time to adapt too.
Yes, but we had reason to expect he could transform us, because of what he had achieved in Spain and Southampton. My point was that Ange has no such credibility to rely on. If anything, he has demonstrated tactical naivity so far and still has to convince us that his blueprint will deliver the goods eventually.

Yes, but we had reason to expect he could transform us, because of what he had achieved in Spain and Southampton. My point was that Ange has no such credibility to rely on. If anything, he has demonstrated tactical naivity so far and still has to convince us that his blueprint will deliver the goods eventually.
Exactly. He's the great unknown.

The first few months of Poch were not fun.