MATCH THREAD v Newcastle 12-30 kick off 13/4 away | Page 19 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD v Newcastle 12-30 kick off 13/4 away

Looks like you called that well HH!
Well I got the actual score wrong but not the result. Could see it coming a mile off - as clearly as the Spurs collapse to the season which has been coming for month.
With Emery as our coach we would have strolled into the top four. Unfortunately we have a deluded dreamer as our coach

Well I got the actual score wrong but not the result. Could see it coming a mile off - as clearly as the Spurs collapse to the season which has been coming for month.
With Emery as our coach we would have strolled into the top four. Unfortunately we have a deluded dreamer as our coach
I didn't expect Villa to score another but what a great goal by Watkins.

Emery also has Villa playing a high line and they've conceded 49 goals this season - the same as us. Different system but same end result.

Emery lasted less than 18 months at Arsenal. He was absolutely pilloried for his tactical naivety and tinkering even though he had been a serial winner previously. I didn't agree the with the Gooner fans then but it shows the futilty of making such quick judgements.

I'll bet if Emery had been available to us when we signed Ange not too many Spurs fans would have been impressed.

Eddie Howe has won endless plaudits for his coaching and tactical skiils at Newcastle yet they've conceded 53 goals this season. In fact, every team below us other than Everton has conceded the same or more goals than us. And that includes respected and courted coaches such as EtH, de zerbi, Moyes, Poch etc.

Let's give our 'deluded dreamer' time to reflect on this season and find solutions to the problems. And maybe even be appreciative that we're still in with a strong shout of a Champions League place at this late stage in the season. Very few predicted we would be at the start of the season.

Emery also has Villa playing a high line and they've conceded 49 goals this season - the same as us. Different system but same end result.

Emery lasted less than 18 months at Arsenal. He was absolutely pilloried for his tactical naivety and tinkering even though he had been a serial winner previously. I didn't agree the with the Gooner fans then but it shows the futilty of making such quick judgements.

I'll bet if Emery had been available to us when we signed Ange not too many Spurs fans would have been impressed.

Eddie Howe has won endless plaudits for his coaching and tactical skiils at Newcastle yet they've conceded 53 goals this season. In fact, every team below us other than Everton has conceded the same or more goals than us. And that includes respected and courted coaches such as EtH, de zerbi, Moyes, Poch etc.

Let's give our 'deluded dreamer' time to reflect on this season and find solutions to the problems. And maybe even be appreciative that we're still in with a strong shout of a Champions League place at this late stage in the season. Very few predicted we would be at the start of the season.
I remain unconvinced we can kick on from where we are but i believe he should be given the season. He's earned himself that much.

Levy should never ever have come out at the start of the season and gloatingly said "we've got our Tottenham back"

What a nonsense statement.

The football isn't even good
I must admit that I disagree with your last paragraph Sock.
I've watched us play quite a lot this season, and whilst we haven't been as incisive, as we need to be, fro me the passing, possession and movement is pretty good to watch.
As Spex said there have been and will be days where we get a bit of a doing, and yesterday was one of them, for me the first 20 mins or so yesterday, up until 'the mistakes' we were all over Newcastle.
My worry is, that we concede from too few efforts and our own efforts on goal are too few for the possession we have.
I still argue that even though it doesn't happen, we look like we could score on every attack, and the build up play is usually slick, fast paced, and skill full, much better than the last few seasons anyway, for me so far it's, enough for now and IMO performances(by and large) are a more enjoyable watch, than the backs to the wall and 'Charge' tactics of Conte.
Yup there is work to do, am I happy with yesterday's result 'No"' we got our respective Arses kicked, now it remains to be seen if AP can learn and progress from it

Yes, but we had reason to expect he could transform us, because of what he had achieved in Spain and Southampton. My point was that Ange has no such credibility to rely on. If anything, he has demonstrated tactical naivity so far and still has to convince us that his blueprint will deliver the goods eventually.
I don't recall him achieving anything at all with Espanyol or Southampton?

So, are we hoping to sign some players with the intelligence to figure out their own tactics? :giggle:
The players are supposed to be doing that right now, TQ. Ange made it very clear early on that his role (and his team) was to provide the players with the tools and it was for them to use them on the pitch. I think he used the analogy of a teacher preparing pupils for an exam but once they were in the exam it was up to the pupils to answer the questions.

After the excruciating micromanagement of Conte it was quite refreshing to hear.

Comparison with past seasons (first 32 matches)​

flag
Tottenham's record after 32 matches in the same league/division
GP​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
Pts *​
Comparison​
2023-2024
32​
18​
6​
8​
65​
49​
-​
2022-2023
32​
16​
5​
11​
58​
51​
+7 pts​
2021-2022
32​
18​
3​
11​
56​
38​
+3 pts​
2020-2021
32​
14​
8​
10​
54​
37​
+10 pts​
2019-2020
32​
12​
9​
11​
51​
44​
+15 pts​
If the above isn’t progress , I.m not sure what is .

Also , this is the first season in the last five that we have had a coach for a complete season .

Personally I find it hard if not impossible to share the positivity for next season IF Ange is never going to have a plan B and UNLESS we get a capt on the pitch that is actually going to direct & bollock the players in tactics, failings & workrate during each game.

I don't believe for one minute we are going to buy 3-4 world class players that are going to take us up a level, so given every man and his dog knows what we are going to do each game....it needs Ange to look at our opposition play and tweak tactics accordingly, especially v top 8 clubs.

If he won't do that then IMO he won't last a second season, which would be a pity cos the fecking manager merry go round would have to start again!

Well if our Deluded Dreamer wins his game in hand HH mate,then we are level on points with Emery's Villa so what's the difference.