Match Thread: Tottenham Hotspurs vs Leeds Utd PL | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Tottenham Hotspurs vs Leeds Utd PL

Is it any wonder Jose parks the bus. 3 nil up against Spam, throw it away in the last 7 minutes, 3 nil up today & somebody sent off with the last kick of the game. Some of our players are definitely brain dead. You got that right Greavsie.

Given Leeds playing style this was a game Spurs were always going to win, and did so comfortably with a good all round team performance. I'd like to see us play against the Leeds GK every week, he was clearly uncomfortable playing out from the back, and consistently put his own defenders under pressure.

Was working all day.
Will watch MOTD.
Did Deli get any minutes?
Or is he off to Paris woth Poch?

Tears of joy as it transpired....the glum feeling over our style of play is well justified though judging by JM's post match comments?

I was feeling apprehensive pre-match with how we have set up the last few games and how Leeds (on their day) can give most teams a hard time.

...but luckily for us, they came out to play and Jose set us up to produce a well balanced performance from defence to attack.

Good win but my god, Doherty is bang average. I was hoping for so much more!

It's his proactive thinking I am applauding, identifying weaknesses, and acting to eradicate them, not sitting and waiting as we often do.
I understand that & i agree. I didn't get my point across very well so apologies in advance Rich. What i was trying to say was that it wouldn't have been that difficult to replace him with better.

We on the other hand replaced Tripps with an inferior player & then brought in cover who turns out to be even worse again.

I understand that & i agree. I didn't get my point across very well so apologies in advance Rich. What i was trying to say was that it wouldn't have been that difficult to replace him with better.

We on the other hand replaced Tripps with an inferior player & then brought in cover who turns out to be even worse again.

Maybe Nino used us again to get what he wanted, Aurier is so bad, let's offer Doherty and wait till Spurs bite.

Doherty I believe played every single game for Wolves in a very long 19-20 season, which doesn't indicate that Nuno didn't rate him. I think he was shrewd enough to recognise though, that after last season Dohery was 'played out' and that it was a good time to sell him. He's been proved right. To my mind Doherty was still a very good player at the time that we sold Trippier, but he will never get back to where he was at that time. Consequently we still have a RB problem, and the decision to sell KWP ever increasingly looks like a mistake.

Playing a every game in a very long season , Joining a club with a different setup .
Having no pre season to adjust .
Moving home .,
Losing all the safety and comfort areas that the pandemic demands .

Why dont we give him a chance .
I don’t see Gareth Bale getting the same
treatment .

I only saw the highlights. From what I saw , neither of those two tackles , combined , deserved a red .
We have seen far worse . against us ,,go relatively unpunished .
Compare that to Luke Shaw , is what I’m on about .

Why is it we play well , get a clean sheet,,three points , yet we have to find someone ,,something , to pillory.

Let’s pick apart the transfer , comment on how other managers are so smart , decide what fools we have in charge .

The same people that arranged the transfer of Doherty, arranged the transfer of Hojbjerg .

I don’t see us commenting on Southampton’s proactive thinking there , or us NOT sitting and waiting to eradicate a weakness in that instance .

Let’s just find something else . Some little chink ,
He is having a hard time . Let’s jump on his back .
Criticise the club along the way .

Winds me up . Can you tell .

Yes , I was as guilty against Sissoko I know . I was wrong then ...... which I admit .

Doherty I believe played every single game for Wolves in a very long 19-20 season, which doesn't indicate that Nuno didn't rate him. I think he was shrewd enough to recognise though, that after last season Dohery was 'played out' and that it was a good time to sell him. He's been proved right. To my mind Doherty was still a very good player at the time that we sold Trippier, but he will never get back to where he was at that time. Consequently we still have a RB problem, and the decision to sell KWP ever increasingly looks like a mistake.

I never liked Tripps he was too small to defend corners and he was too weak to stop powerful forwards. He had no real pace. He was great at passing and crossing but that was never going to be enough. Doherty seems to lack pace too but he is quicker than Tripps. Doherty is great in the air.

Last edited:
I never liked Tripps he was too small to defend corners and he was too weak to stop powerful forwards. He had no real pace. He was great at passing and crossing but that was never going to be enough. Doherty seems to lack pace too but he is quicker than Tipps. Doherty is great in the air.
Agree regarding his ability in the air. Unfortunately thus far he's been pretty useless on the floor.

Admittedly, I'm confused by Doherty. He isn't quick, he hasn't got bundles of energy and he doesn't work the entire right hand side like wing backs do. To me, he looks like an orthodox full-back but everyone calls him a wing-back. He does have some nice touches and his passing is normally pretty decent. Clearly his heading is a strength.

I watched Aarons yesterday. Pace, stamina and touch beyond what we have seen this season in a Spurs shirt. Obviously, not the level of opposition we play against but still looks a class act. Saying that, the thought of Jose selecting a 20 year old over a 29 year old. I'm being stupid again :-)