Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester City - PL | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester City - PL

Result?

• Win

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm hoping we can eventually build a set of players that can genuinely go toe to toe with the real big boys. This team clearly can't, but we can beat them through tactics and heart. You couldn't ask for more right now.

The only place Jose slightly let himself down yesterday was when he was asked about Toby by Alisdair Gold and said "we only have 3 centre halves for the Premier League". He shouldn't be demotivating players like Sanchez by saying such things publicly. It was subtle, but I'm sure a few of us noticed it.

That aside, I think Jose's tactics were spot on. He deserves massive credit for what he's changed in one year. His utilisation of Kane just shows that there isn't many coaches out there who has his tactical ability.

When you set a new precedent on the pitch, you have to do it every game. If we can get that fired up for the next few fixtures, we'll be just fine.
I disagree on the Sanchez comments. Was Jose's comments on only having 3 CBs with the context of who is out injured at the moment? That's how it sounded to me and that way it would include Sanchez (Dier and Rodon the other 2). Tanganga apparently is injured again.

Having said that, Sanchez clearly has work to do to win the trust of Jose again.

I disagree on the Sanchez comments. Was Jose's comments on only having 3 CBs with the context of who is out injured at the moment? That's how it sounded to me and that way it would include Sanchez (Dier and Rodon the other 2). Tanganga apparently is injured again.

Having said that, Sanchez clearly has work to do to win the trust of Jose again.

Actually, you're right. I listened again and he said "in Europa, we have only 2". I stand corrected.

It must be a concern with Dier having a recent muscle injury whilst on England duty. Japhet has been having his own complications as well.

I noticed Matt Doherty switched to centre half in Nations League. We also have Davies who plays there at a push. That might require switching system to 3 at the back though as neither probably are at their best in a 2 man partnership.

In my opinion, it is Japhet we need the most to add depth.

We are building some momentum and have the PL top scorer in Son, the PL top assister in Kane, we are top of the league, have the joint best GD and possibly the best manager. There will be a one in the year as the season ends. The players seem to have caught the scent of the title and are responding with total performances.
I'm not getting carried away but it feels good.
I do question if we showed too much respect to City by letting them have so much ball. If we had a more attacking MF we possibly could have scored more and been more comfortable. I noticed in the first half we lumped the ball up the pitch to clear it from deep and gave away possession only to see another wave of attack.

I agree with all that you say, my concern too was that they had so many shots at goal compared to other us 22 vs 5 or something!?

so although I woke with a sore head but an amazing sense of satisfaction, I wonder how many games can we ‘manage’ that amount of possession and chances at our goal!?

I agree with all that you say, my concern too was that they had so many shots at goal compared to other us 22 vs 5 or something!?

so although I woke with a sore head but an amazing sense of satisfaction, I wonder how many games can we ‘manage’ that amount of possession and chances at our goal!?
It's about getting the balance right and being brave enough to be more confident in our attack. Sissoko and Bergwijn had ok games but did we need them ? Loco looked fit and I would potentially have started him instead of Sissoko. Moura may have been more of a threat and defensive menace than Bergwijn.

Un

Unfortunately Meee, I dont think Sanchez will improve.If Sanchez was playing yesterday, we lose the game. He's just not good enough.

Really wished Rodon had been registered for EL. I presume Sanchez will feature by default. Still, an opportunity for him to grab it with both hands.
I want Sanchez to stay he lacks confidence from never starting in the same berth from game to game. He is almost as fast as the superb Kyle Walker.

It's about getting the balance right and being brave enough to be more confident in our attack. Sissoko and Bergwijn had ok games but did we need them ? Loco looked fit and I would potentially have started him instead of Sissoko. Moura may have been more of a threat and defensive menace than Bergwijn.
Come of it Nick! There were many situations where Sissoko's strength either retained the ball or won the ball something I could not see the lightweight Loco doing so for that alone he was worth his place in the starting line-up. I think the balance of the team was beautiful and Loco came on and made the impact he was put on for! Does that mean I'd never want to see Loco start, no, no way he's too good to "ride the pine" but it's got to be horses for courses (or to cover injuries). I would expect to see a similar set-up against the Chavs at the Bridge next week, but maybe Jose will surprise me; we'll see.

Now we just need 'pool and Leicester to draw...
:guiness:

Come of it Nick! There were many situations where Sissoko's strength either retained the ball or won the ball something I could not see the lightweight Loco doing so for that alone he was worth his place in the starting line-up. I think the balance of the team was beautiful and Loco came on and made the impact he was put on for! Does that mean I'd never want to see Loco start, no, no way he's too good to "ride the pine" but it's got to be horses for courses (or to cover injuries). I would expect to see a similar set-up against the Chavs at the Bridge next week, but maybe Jose will surprise me; we'll see.

Now we just need 'pool and Leicester to draw...
:guiness:
Sissoko frustrates the hell out of me, but he was excellent yesterday.

Sissoko frustrates the hell out of me, but he was excellent yesterday.

He was good but only because he needed to defend. If we had retained the ball and pinned City back he may have been surplus to requirements. We already had Hojbjerg, Dier and Toby to do the dirty work. It was Jose's chosen game plan that necessitated Sissoko starting. Loco can be a right little terrier type and will do something positive with the ball when he gets the ball.
I want to get away from Sissoko starting so many games.

Moura just doesn't know where to position himself defensively. He's happy to run around a lot and put in a massive shift for the manager but he hasn't got that defensive side that Bergwijn has. I can see the logic of Bergwijn who is also that much bigger and physical. It was a tight call.

As for Sissoko, I'm not sure when is the right time to omit him and go with the Ndombele, Gio combo. I don't think yesterday was, and I'm not sure the Chelsea or NLD games are either. I wouldn't mind seeing Winks, Ndombele and Gio against Ludogrets though.

Currently looking like we will be top until at least next Sat....and then hopefully again from Sun. Here's hoping Brighton can feck up the bin boys