Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester City - PL | Page 20 | Vital Football

Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester City - PL

Result?

• Win

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He was good but only because he needed to defend. If we had retained the ball and pinned City back he may have been surplus to requirements. We already had Hojbjerg, Dier and Toby to do the dirty work. It was Jose's chosen game plan that necessitated Sissoko starting. Loco can be a right little terrier type and will do something positive with the ball when he gets the ball.
I want to get away from Sissoko starting so many games.

He fills our other ten with confidence and he terrifies every player in the league. He is a vital ingredient that lets others look better. He is Jose's first name on the team sheet because he is the beast.

I'm hoping we can eventually build a set of players that can genuinely go toe to toe with the real big boys. This team clearly can't, but we can beat them through tactics and heart. You couldn't ask for more right now.

The only place Jose slightly let himself down yesterday was when he was asked about Toby by Alisdair Gold and said "we only have 3 centre halves for the Premier League". He shouldn't be demotivating players like Sanchez by saying such things publicly. It was subtle, but I'm sure a few of us noticed it.

That aside, I think Jose's tactics were spot on. He deserves massive credit for what he's changed in one year. His utilisation of Kane just shows that there isn't many coaches out there who has his tactical ability.

When you set a new precedent on the pitch, you have to do it every game. If we can get that fired up for the next few fixtures, we'll be just fine.

With Toby out we do only have 3 fit centre halves. At least that is how I interpreted what he was saying. Leaving only 2 for Europe with no Rodon?

We've had an easy run of games, this game may well be the one that either underlines our progress or highlights how far we have to go.

I am not confident that we'll get anything from it.

I am delighted that I was totally wrong.

Despite being up 1-0 at halftime, I felt we'd ridden our luck and was unlikely to keep them out in the second half if we played so defensively and on the back foot in the second.

Fortunately, we didn't and we completely deserved the result.

Well done Jose, and well done the players with perhaps the exception of one or two, they held their nerve and showed they could play a bit magnificantly.

Magnanimus EX. Please predict similar for the chelski game and so on. Seems we have hurdle after hurdle in the next few weeks. Lets hope the confidence Marmite is building and the players performance on Saturrday becomes an infectious disease that we won't wnat a vaccine for!

Funnily enough, I thought after, try and do that to the chav's and they'll bury us. City was without their real goalscorers against us, which was great for us and I can't help but wonder if they'd been on from the start if we'd have had the same result?

Werner is looking the real deal and defensively the Chav's are a different proposition now and in my view far less likely to sucker-punched the way we did to City in the first half.

Sad to say, the chav's are the more likely to compete with the red bin dippers for the title this season. in my view.

But once again, I'll be delighted if I'm wrong - but somehow I don't think we'll get away wth rope-a-dope tactics with them.

Funnily enough, I thought after, try and do that to the chav's and they'll bury us. City was without their real goalscorers against us, which was great for us and I can't help but wonder if they'd been on from the start if we'd have had the same result?

Werner is looking the real deal and defensively the Chav's are a different proposition now and in my view far less likely to sucker-punched the way we did to City in the first half.

Sad to say, the chav's are the more likely to compete with the red bin dippers for the title this season. in my view.

But once again, I'll be delighted if I'm wrong - but somehow I don't think we'll get away wth rope-a-dope tactics with them.
I joked at the beginning of this thread that City’s tactics are predictable and so it proved, irrespective who they have playing...I think one of the BBC pundits said City have no plan B and he was correct....consequently, Jose worked out a plan to nullify their threats but of course with the calibre of players that City have there were always going to be hairy moments. However, apart from the correctly disallowed goal (where Sissojo stood and watched Laporte shoot) the only other clear cut chance they had was a header from Rodrigo straight at Lloris.

Similarly, Chelsea play to a formula, have a lot of attacking pace and Zyech, who we know from the Ajax semis, who is a successful playmaker in their system, plus a serious aerial threat from corners and set pieces. So a different set of problems for Jose to deal with. Hopefully, their racist will continue in their defence as he is a weak link but only if we commit to a pressure attacking play from time to time.

Looking at the resources in both teams it looks a no brainier for a Chelsea win, but I’m sure the lads will be up for the challenge....hopefully a game to wipe the smile from Jody Morris’s face.

I joked at the beginning of this thread that City’s tactics are predictable and so it proved, irrespective who they have playing...I think one of the BBC pundits said City have no plan B and he was correct....consequently, Jose worked out a plan to nullify their threats but of course with the calibre of players that City have there were always going to be hairy moments. However, apart from the correctly disallowed goal (where Sissojo stood and watched Laporte shoot) the only other clear cut chance they had was a header from Rodrigo straight at Lloris.

Similarly, Chelsea play to a formula, have a lot of attacking pace and Zyech, who we know from the Ajax semis, who is a successful playmaker in their system, plus a serious aerial threat from corners and set pieces. So a different set of problems for Jose to deal with. Hopefully, their racist will continue in their defence as he is a weak link but only if we commit to a pressure attacking play from time to time.

Looking at the resources in both teams it looks a no brainier for a Chelsea win, but I’m sure the lads will be up for the challenge....hopefully a game to wipe the smile from Jody Morris’s face.

And plan A is Aguerro.

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg covered 11KM against
@ManCity
yesterday, more than any other #thfc player. No player was involved in more duels (15) or made more tackles (5) either. [BBC]

Just goes to show, even seasoned PL players sometimes need to adjust, after his first couple of games, I feared he was pretty average and so did many others - since then he's shut the doubters well and truly up!

That was some pretty clever scouting.....

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg covered 11KM against
@ManCity
yesterday, more than any other #thfc player. No player was involved in more duels (15) or made more tackles (5) either. [BBC]

Just goes to show, even seasoned PL players sometimes need to adjust, after his first couple of games, I feared he was pretty average and so did many others - since then he's shut the doubters well and truly up!

That was some pretty clever scouting.....

Happy to eat humble pie on that EX...just like you 😀😀😀

I am delighted that I was totally wrong.

Despite being up 1-0 at halftime, I felt we'd ridden our luck and was unlikely to keep them out in the second half if we played so defensively and on the back foot in the second.

Fortunately, we didn't and we completely deserved the result.

Well done Jose, and well done the players with perhaps the exception of one or two, they held their nerve and showed they could play a bit magnificantly.

Exactly what I wanted to say but I'm not that literate. Thanks Ex.

So,So annoying that the ref/var deemed Dier handballed v Newcastle and so so pissed that West Sham scored a wonder goal equalizer both events in the last minutes!!!! after we were 3-0 up else we would be on 24 points....Everton I concede we deserved to lose that....am i greedy....YES YES YES
To add we could have won against Everton as well remember their keeper made point blank saves from Doherty and Dele Ali