Match Thread: Shrewsbury Town v Lincoln City | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Shrewsbury Town v Lincoln City

As quick as we looked on those highlights, and we are, you have to say that Shrewsbury looked as slow as a funeral, especially for the second goal.

Zach involved in everything in those highlights, which is good to see. Feels like we're still waiting for his Imps career to really get going.

It's extremely hard work to press that high and then have to take off after some players who can put the turbo chargers on when needed. We must have broken 3 or 4 times in the first 20 minutes, your desire to bust a gut repeatedly goes down a lot after doing all that running over and over again.

It's extremely hard work to press that high and then have to take off after some players who can put the turbo chargers on when needed. We must have broken 3 or 4 times in the first 20 minutes, your desire to bust a gut repeatedly goes down a lot after doing all that running over and over again.

Especially when you don't catch the runner even once! :lol:

Thought that was Johnson's best game for us - his decision making is noticeably improving - e.g. looking up and spreading it wide for Harry to cross for Zack's goal etc. A few weeks ago, I think we'd have seen him trying to go solo or pick the wrong pass. If he can continue to work on that side of his game, he'll be some player!

It looked like Elbouzedi has modified his running style to make him stronger on the ball. Last year in his limited time on the pitch he appeared much more upright verging on leaning back when he ran which made him really light weight and easy to nudge and knock him off the ball. He certainly hasn’t lost his pace and it was great to see him look so confident on the ball.
Germanimp’s confidence in him was right all along, I hope he kicks on and cements a place in the matchday squad

Whilst we were discussing the burden extra games would put on our small squad, the positive is that our fringe players get game time hopefully to be more ready if needed.
If we’d not been in the Trophy still, not many of us would have been thinking about picking Zack for a league game for example.

I don't think he was ever signed on loan as a central midfielder...
I think he was signed on loan because he is a fantastic prospect, is already technically very good, and can play both midfield and rb.
minutes so far for us
rb, 255
mf, 270.

Looking at the game again Shrewsbury seemed to have no defensive midfielder. But being forced to play 2 very quick attacking 10s worked a treat for us. That front five, elbouz scully Anderson howarth johnson - the most enjoyable watch in a lincoln attack for years. I dare Appleton to try it in a league game...

Whilst we were discussing the burden extra games would put on our small squad, the positive is that our fringe players get game time hopefully to be more ready if needed.
If we’d not been in the Trophy still, not many of us would have been thinking about picking Zack for a league game for example.

And playing them in sometimes alternative positions? I think I prefer Melbourne at CB rather than LB, and Johnson showed he can play centre mid rather simply up top or on the wing, and Eyoma is decent at RB or CB, and (IMO) Rougham is better at LB than CB etc etc. This competition has also had Tayo in midfield and at left back, likewise for Harry RB and forward. If/when injuries or suspensions do hit, at least we've tested the water for proving competence in alternative positions for a wide range of players.