Match Thread: Milton Keynes v Lincoln City | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Milton Keynes v Lincoln City

Danny has in one speech just articulated all of the valid arguments made by people here and elsewhere about the Bolton/Bury saga and done so perfectly. I honestly can't think of anyone who could have said it better. That should become the reference speech for the whole debate. The EFL should listen
He'll probably get fined knowing the useless efl.

An assist stripper cannot be allowed to be involved in a football club (Steve Dale, Bury). It is a disgrace and actually unacceptable. This situation is hugely affecting the integrity of this competition. The EFL have not been decisive enough. I don’t want too see either club go, but if they are not in a situation to start the season they then should be suspended for a year to be allowed to get their situation sorted out. It’s just crazy. We have only 18 players because we are trying to live within our means and run our football club the right way.
Good summary. He really had a go at Steve Dale and his involvement with a football club, and how the EFL failed to prevent his ownership. I no longer agree with him about not wanting to see either club go, because in my opinion they have both waived their right to be part of the elite. Bolton's supremely arrogant behaviour this week should signal the end for them too. There are many clubs outside the EFL who are deserving of an opportunity and should now be entitled to take it. Suspending their membership for a year would be utterly pointless in every sense: how could any club survive without any income whatsoever?

such a shame there is no investment.

Is there more investment coming in, then great news if that is the case.

You even contradict yourself, but...

I believe if you look at the football, it is very evident there has been a good deal of investment. The quality of play comes from investing in quality players. It does not come cheap. Money spent = investment

Watched the match on my iPad - we were the better side. Play like that and we’ll be right up there in May... nothing to fear...⚽
Or as Danny just said we were poor. We conceded two goals and lost the game. Do we want to play football like Barcelona and score a goal every game but concede two and lose?

Pretty fair comments from Tisdale:
“They were at the top of their game today. In many ways they played a better game than us, but we showed a lot of guts and effort and they were unable to break us down - so I am really delighted for the players.

“To get six points on the board for us is really important. It was important we hung on and although they hit the crossbar, I thought we defended particularly well.

“It was tough last 20 minutes, but my players did enough and tonight we have beaten an extremely good team - so I am really proud of my players tonight.”

You even contradict yourself, but...

I believe if you look at the football, it is very evident there has been a good deal of investment. The quality of play comes from investing in quality players. It does not come cheap. Money spent = investment
it is not a contradiction, it was a question asking whether there is more investment on the horizon. as i said, imo we are 2-3 players short, look how well we are doing with 16 first teamers... with a little more investment (to create a slightly bigger squad) we would really compete in this league.

must be very frustrating for the manager to be this close. he has also said similar, didn't he mention cover was needed at left back; cb; midfield; winger; and striker only yesterday?

Cracking game. Really enjoying the start to the season
Poor defending by Toffolo for the first. Unlucky for the second although with the two players on the floor next to each other it would be harsh to give it offside.
Gave it a right go and with a bit of luck and some better decision making at the edge of the area we would still have turned it round. Still they defended well, asked us to break them down and we came up a little short.
Would have liked to see Bolger remain in the team.
Was impressed with my man Grant in the middle and he gives us another option there

Cracking game. Really enjoying the start to the season
Poor defending by Toffolo for the first. Unlucky for the second although with the two players on the floor next to each other it would be harsh to give it offside.
Gave it a right go and with a bit of luck and some better decision making at the edge of the area we would still have turned it round. Still they defended well, asked us to break them down and we came up a little short.
Would have liked to see Bolger remain in the team.
Was impressed with my man Grant in the middle and he gives us another option there
Why not tell-it-like-it-is in the Player Ratings thread? We need some more ratings each week.

Good summary. He really had a go at Steve Dale and his involvement with a football club, and how the EFL failed to prevent his ownership. I no longer agree with him about not wanting to see either club go, because in my opinion they have both waived their right to be part of the elite. Bolton's supremely arrogant behaviour this week should signal the end for them too. There are many clubs outside the EFL who are deserving of an opportunity and should now be entitled to take it. Suspending their membership for a year would be utterly pointless in every sense: how could any club survive without any income whatsoever?
The more I hear about Dale and the take over, the way it was presented as a fait accompli making the 'fit and proper' test meaningless, the more I doubt the competence of the EFL, and that's starting from a really low base.

For God's sake, Corbyn looks like a functional human being compared with the EFL. On that theme, I see the local MP has tried to leap on the bandwagon just after it departed. I have professional experience of such behaviour, are they all that slow and out of touch with their constituents??

Well, lesson learned. How to beat Lincoln: score an offside goal, then defend with nine men.

Just got back, reckon if we had equalised we would have gone on to win it. Played by far the better football, missed 2 golden chances while they stuck theirs away. But..

Results. End. Of.

2 sloppy goals to give away offside or not, poor defending for both. We don't have a right to clean sheets you have to earn them, every week

it is not a contradiction, it was a question asking whether there is more investment on the horizon. as i said, imo we are 2-3 players short, look how well we are doing with 16 first teamers... with a little more investment (to create a slightly bigger squad) we would really compete in this league.

must be very frustrating for the manager to be this close. he has also said similar, didn't he mention cover was needed at left back; cb; midfield; winger; and striker only yesterday?

Your previous post said such a shame there is no investment.
I would think Clive Nates and co could point to very large sums of cash being put into the club. DC has chosen to spend it on high cost players.
In an ideal world we might have even more cash to spend. There will be more players before the window closes due to Cup receipts but do n’t underestimate the contribution already made by the board.

UTI

Very interesting BBC Radio Lincs interview with a clearly frustrated Danny Cowley, not just about the result, but also the Bolton/Bury situation. Great timing to ask him about the Bolton/Bury pantomime as he didn't hold back – maybe he wouldn't have been so honest had this been asked at a press conference. Here are a selection of his quotes:

We didn’t defend well enough first half – far too soft in combat in the first-half. We allowed a team that only had 11 touches in our box, two goals.

You are not a good side when you concede two soft goals like we did. I thought our play between the two boxes was really, really good. Ultimately when you don’t do well enough in both boxes, though, you don’t win.

We played against a side that got into a lead and got 11 players behind the ball. We had to work hard to shift the angle of attack and I thought we did it really well. Credit to them, their defending was exceptional and they defended for their lives. Their keeper must have made 10 saves tonight.

The second goal was 100 per cent offside, it was categoric. It is an unbelievable decision and I do not believe how he has got that wrong. But there were still defensive errors in the lead up to the goal.

Anyone who thought we were a good team tonight are wrong.

On Bolton’s game being postponed against Doncaster:
It is a huge disadvantage for us. We have had five games this month and we’ve only got 18 players. What do I do? Cancel the game on Friday night and let people know on social media? I feel sorry for Bolton and Bury and their fans, but I am frustrated for the EFL to allow it to get to this stage.

An assist stripper cannot be allowed to be involved in a football club (Steve Dale, Bury). It is a disgrace and actually unacceptable. This situation is hugely affecting the integrity of this competition. The EFL have not been decisive enough. I don’t want too see either club go, but if they are not in a situation to start the season they then should be suspended for a year to be allowed to get their situation sorted out. It’s just crazy. We have only 18 players because we are trying to live within our means and run our football club the right way.

Para 2 spot on from my POV as well, we seemed to run out of ideas around the 18 yard box going forward. Enjoyed it all the same, good times.

Well 4 games gone at League One for the first time in 20 years.
And we sit in a promotion place.

We're not below Dover or Bromley or Boreham Wood or Eastleigh, we're not battling to avoid relegation at Hyde United.
We're not being knocked out of the FA Trophy by Carshalton or a little Yorkshire village team from across the bridge.

I think transformation barely covers it.

Fantastic playing surface
Game of two halves with us sitting off them and allowing them too much possession early on..Sloppy defending for both goals but if Jack Payne had scored his one on one then could have gone in 2-2 at half time.
Second half MK faded, we pressed higher up the pitch and we rolled into their box constantly without seriously opening them up.Two serious top chances fell to Shacks and Bruno and Payne had multiple shots on target but never really tested the keeper.

Jack Payne constantly trying to thread the killer ball..............no options in front of him.
We lacked creative movement in and around the box, would have left Walker on when we were chasing the game,he might have opened the door.
Despite losing it was an entertaining game but if we had shown them less respect from the outset all 3 points could have been ours.

Still prefer to play Bruno down the left over Grant and even when he settled into midfield when MOC went off injured he didn`t do enough to impact the game.
On another night we could have come away with 3 points and certainly deserved a draw.
Brilliant IMPS turnout 1,200/1,300
no need to feel down after that loss other than the inquisition over the defending for the goals.
Fitness wise we were rolling forward constantly into the 90th minute and they were retreating in a tired fashion,slinging bodies in front of the ball.
When they return to Sincil Bank,,,,,,show them no respect and press their back 4 from the off ......they will crumble.

There is plenty to feel positive about, despite tonight’s defeat. But we need to defend from the 1st minute, not have a warning up period. We still seem to be missing a nippy striker to cut across a defender and get a shot in, not just hold the ball up. Perhaps Walker fills the role over time but there still seems to be that gap there. We had 26 shots tonight - scoring one. Even with MKD defending very well, our conversion rate needs to be better. We shall play worse during the season and win.

So my initial thoughts on tonight before reading the thread is that the result was disappointing but the performance was pretty good. We will play a lot worse this season and win. Still it's all about putting the ball in the net and tonight we lacked that clinical edge which would have otherwise won the game
I've often applauded our defenders throwing themselves at the ball making blocks and credit to MK tonight that their flat back 10 were doing exactly the same in the second half.
One of them nights unfortunately but we'll go again on Saturday and beyond