Match Thread: Lincoln City v Tranmere Rovers | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Tranmere Rovers

After the hernia op last week couldn't make it Friday, but I hobbled to the Bank today. Fantastic. Second title in my lifetime. Born '75. Now got to work for 2 hours (I'm the boss). Too much time off. Will be day dreaming of League One this evening, popping the painkillers. Looking forward to the lifting of the Trophy by Freck. Enjoy your night Imps.

3rd title - Conference under Murphy. Second League title, though. ;)

I liked Hortin's interview with Clive after the game, reasonably confident of more investment next season. Does not want to put the club at risk for short term success, looking for sustainability in the coming seasons.
The journey continues!

Clive deserves as many plaudits for what he has done for the club as much as Danny and Nicky. Hopefully more people will come in and see what we are building in Lincoln and want to invest in the whole team ethos.

What an amazing turnaround from the NLN abyss now through into League One.

Nope. not managing to get Rheady, Big John and 'subtlety' into the same sentence. Not without laughing anyway! :lol:[/QUOTE
Doesn’t get any better. BBQ done much wine consumed. 5 am alarm set time to chill. Goodnight all IMPs. Thanks for your company this afternoon, its been a blast. Onwards and upwards. ?⚪️?⚪️?⚪️?⚪️?⚪️?

You didnt risk mitigate and book the Tuesday off...

That's one win in five now. Piled on top of the one win in six in January, I wonder if we really deserve to go up.
Well that's because the others just had worse runs than us.
MK Dons nightmare, ,Mansfield blow hot and cold and Bury well top for 20 minutes and been going backwards ever since.
On a we've definitely drawn far too many, just feel we've lacked a killer instinct in front of goal, ,a finisher to play off Akinde would be top of my shopping list if I was Danny as we know league one sides will be less wasteful in front of goal.

Makes you realise the depth we've had since January, which has in part got us over the line. Bolger for Shackell, O'Connor for Pett and Rowe for Anderson aren't too shabby a changes to make, and then to bring McCartan on as well. No surprise Rhead started because if we haven't won for a couple of games he usually comes back in, generally helps Akinde out and helps us pin teams in.

I thought there was a massive gulf between the teams for the first 45 minutes. Tranmere didn't get anywhere near us and whilst we didn't pepper their goal, O'Connor's got to score his one-on-one early doors and both Rowe and Andrade were half a yard from getting in between the CB's and FB's. Tranmere were hitting everything long and the majority of the time it was over hit and going straight through. We were pressing and winning the balls back brilliantly and kept the ball moving wide.

Second half was more even of the back of a double change at HT from Mellon, but we still created the two clearest chances - Rhead off the line and O'Hara late on. Tranmere's two decent chances - wide at the far post early in the second half and Norwood on his weak foot (did he slip as he shot?), were as a result of us playing a silly ball into midfield from CB.

I'm not entirely sure what Mellon was trying to achieve this afternoon. They weren't overly defensive, but by the same token didn't go for it either. They seemed to be caught halfway and a as a result didn't really perform. With Tranmere already basically in the PO's before the game, I thought he'd gamble a bit more, especially with Mansfield and MK dropping points early into the afternoon. That said, Norwood still has that aura about him where he'll just get in somewhere because of how good his movement is.

Norwood will be a big miss for Tranmere next season if he doesn't stay. I know that's stating the obvious given that he's their top scorer but every time a Tranmere player got the ball, it was 'hit Norwood' and everything revolves around him. It doesn't matter at the minute, but they looked far too reliant on him on that performance.

Great atmosphere, though. Makes a huge difference with an away end full of people who want to help create one. If felt like a proper game between two proper sides, backed by two sets of supporters willing their sides on.

No goals in two games - COWLEYS OUT! :lol:

Just another great day in this club's recent history. Shame we couldn't seal it with a win but the performance certainly merited one. Looking forward to a party atmosphere against Colchester...fancy dress anyone?

Also, great credit to the Tranmere fans today. A big away following doesn't necessarily mean a great atmosphere but they were terrific, which brought the best out of the home fans as well. Would much rather see them go up than MK Dons.

One thing I must say as well is that biggest compliment I can give this lot is that we were in control all season. A handful of teams tried to peg us back but we shook them off with ease. No real promotion race, no title race, all felt a matter of ‘when’ rather than ‘if’. We've felt in control and kept teams at arms length for most of the season. Just a really, professional, efficient, no fuss job.

Makes you realise the depth we've had since January, which has in part got us over the line. Bolger for Shackell, O'Connor for Pett and Rowe for Anderson aren't too shabby a changes to make, and then to bring McCartan on as well. No surprise Rhead started because if we haven't won for a couple of games he usually comes back in, generally helps Akinde out and helps us pin teams in.

I thought there was a massive gulf between the teams for the first 45 minutes. Tranmere didn't get anywhere near us and whilst we didn't pepper their goal, O'Connor's got to score his one-on-one early doors and both Rowe and Andrade were half a yard from getting in between the CB's and FB's. Tranmere were hitting everything long and the majority of the time it was over hit and going straight through. We were pressing and winning the balls back brilliantly and kept the ball moving wide.

Second half was more even of the back of a double change at HT from Mellon, but we still created the two clearest chances - Rhead off the line and O'Hara late on. Tranmere's two decent chances - wide at the far post early in the second half and Norwood on his weak foot (did he slip as he shot?), were as a result of us playing a silly ball into midfield from CB.

I'm not entirely sure what Mellon was trying to achieve this afternoon. They weren't overly defensive, but by the same token didn't go for it either. They seemed to be caught halfway and a as a result didn't really perform. With Tranmere already basically in the PO's before the game, I thought he'd gamble a bit more, especially with Mansfield and MK dropping points early into the afternoon. That said, Norwood still has that aura about him where he'll just get in somewhere because of how good his movement is.

Norwood will be a big miss for Tranmere next season if he doesn't stay. I know that's stating the obvious given that he's their top scorer but every time a Tranmere player got the ball, it was 'hit Norwood' and everything revolves around him. It doesn't matter at the minute, but they looked far too reliant on him on that performance.

Great atmosphere, though. Makes a huge difference with an away end full of people who want to help create one. If felt like a proper game between two proper sides, backed by two sets of supporters willing their sides on.

Great write up Luke, spot on.

Noticed a guy selling scarves with 'Lincoln City Champions 2018/19 ' outside the main gate post match, quick off the mark !!
They were selling them before the match, trying to jinx it!
The club have got some official merch available for pre-order.

They were selling them before the match, trying to jinx it!
The club have got some official merch available for pre-order.
Yeah just seen a few bits are now available to preorder from the club shop, much rather buy that than some dodgy street seller.
£15 for Champions t shirt just hope it doesn't shrink like the polo shirt is got back in February!