Match Thread: Lincoln City v Tranmere Rovers | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Tranmere Rovers

To be fair we had plenty of wins in the previous 3 seasons where the games were a bit turgid

I know, some games like that are to be expected. I just don't want to see it all the time, otherwise I wouldn't watch football.

Still not convinced about Grant.

Grant is inconsistent and he'll never be popular with everyone as he doesn't run around like he's trying to set fire to the grass or throw himself headlong into tackles.

But of all the players in the squad he's the one player we have who can be expected to make a killer pass through the defence, or deliver a truly dangerous cross/corner/free kick. He is the most creative player we have.

An important three points of course as it means we can start to look up the table. Not that I thought three points were deserved.

I know a lot of you say you prefer winning ugly to losing prettily (as if winning well wasn't actually possible) and I'll admit there are some times when you have to accept it's not good and all you can hope to get from a game is a good result.

But half a dozen consecutive performances like that, and I wouldn't bother watching the seventh.

We're "hard to beat" nowadays though! Exactly what Michael promised.

I know, some games like that are to be expected. I just don't want to see it all the time, otherwise I wouldn't watch football.

Grant is inconsistent and he'll never be popular with everyone as he doesn't run around like he's trying to set fire to the grass or throw himself headlong into tackles.

But of all the players in the squad he's the one player we have who can be expected to make a killer pass through the defence, or deliver a truly dangerous cross/corner/free kick. He is the most creative player we have.

He's a wide player that comes with the territory here...

What's your thoughts on Hesketh. Personally not convinced. Promise but no end product which possibly describes most of our attacking players. Looking positively defence looks solid. Bolger and Bostwick seem to complement each other well.

Eardley's pace is a bit of a worry at this level -

No doubt about it Eardley is not blessed with great pace.

However, if the opposition don't score from the rare occasion they can isolate him in a foot race, wide on the right, then they don't get much change out of him.

He is very much in the Shackell school of being in the right place at the right time.

A lot of his good play goes unnoticed to many but the defensive record of late is not a matter of luck.

Also think Toffolo is a much better defender than when he first joined us.

Bolger also looks much more comfortable in possession than he did last season.

Bostwick is the least comfortable with playing the ball around at the back, but if he's your main concern, there isn't much wrong.

We have solid foundations.

Think the defence looks OK - Bolger and Bossie did well together for the first 5 games of the season - Eardley's pace is a bit of a worry at this level - midfield without Morrell would be threadbare and expect someone to complement him so hope he stays - need more strength wide and up-front

I take your point but think Eardley more than makes up for his lack of pace with his positioning.

We were disjointed and never really got up a full head of steam at any point in the match. Tranmere thankfully had that player sent off as tbh he was terrifying me every time he got the ball. After that they posed virtually no threat whatsoever and it was a comfortable solid victory with a clean sheet once the goal went in. I'll take that performance with the result, two weeks before Christmas any season in any circumstances.

I think MA modus operandi generally is to play more expansive football than we’re used to, but you need the right foundation/players of course

On Grant I think he is our most creative player but a few occasions he made half a yard with a piece of skill but he doesn’t drive forward with the ball when this happens, tends to stop and play a cross field ball.
Also Chapman is so left footed that when he receives the ball in midfield his body shape almost inevitably means he passes backwards so that’s something he can work on I think

I totally agree with you about Bolger- he was sound throughout and tried several times to speed up bringing the ball forward and was successful with his passing- definitely my MoM.

With both our full backs being pressed early by Tranmere,BOLGER GAINED MORE FREEDOM ON THE BALL, he travelled over halfway and was able to deliver more telling passes.
He was decent all afternoon and well worth an extra mention.........was also using his left foot for clearances forward and pretty decent with his poorer foot.

On the subject of the attendance, the same weekend last season (v Morecambe) was the last time we dipped under 8,000 fans for a home league match.

Only the second league match in 29 (!) where they have been under 8,000 Imps (or at least what are counted as Imps) in the stadium.

Plastics all on holidays this time of the the year.........it`s traditional

Quite a few plastics up in Lapland dogging out the reindeer sheds preparing for a busy yuletide,at least that was the rumour in the Spoons.

Appleton mentioned the pitch post match, all the wet weather has made it difficult to play the way he wants.
From watching the highlights certainly looks like the weather has taken its toll.

There were a couple of times yesterday in the first half where we put on a lovely through ball to run on to but the wet pitch let it run too far and we were unlucky. Roll on the dry weather.

I think MA modus operandi generally is to play more expansive football than we’re used to, but you need the right foundation/players of course

I agree, my comment was about the overall quality of yesterday's game and how some fans only seem to see the result as important.

Overall I think the club have done very well to get the current manager as it gives us a very good chance of not losing ground from the unexpected momentum which has been built up for the last three years.

On Grant I think he is our most creative player but a few occasions he made half a yard with a piece of skill but he doesn’t drive forward with the ball when this happens, tends to stop and play a cross field ball.
Also Chapman is so left footed that when he receives the ball in midfield his body shape almost inevitably means he passes backwards so that’s something he can work on I think

re: body position. there are plenty of very one footed (right footed) central midfielders that manage fine, right up to high international level. i would say it is more to do with chapman playing to the tactics, and possibly playing slightly over cautiously - than anything to do with him being left footed. i would also say, in a 4-2-3-1, having a left footed dcmf and a right footed dcmf paired together is the ideal balance.

my comment was about the overall quality of yesterday's game and how some fans only seem to see the result as important.

I agree, the quality of the game yesterday was poor. We did create some openings but our final ball and our set pieces were just not up to the required standard.
People do say ,results end of, but a team in the top ten would of put us to the sword yesterday.
It is all about results and you may get the odd result playing as we did yesterday but on the whole if you are to win a game you have to play well and be the best team on the day.
Yeah we got the 3 points and that is important but could anybody honestly come away from that match feeling as they had been entertained having watched a decent quality football match?

Most if not all of us on this forum have suffered several relegations with City over the years and if another comes to pass sooner than later the initial gnashing and wailing will quickly be replaced with an attitude of oh well let's just get on with it then.
Now I would love to be thoroughly entertained by every match I go to but being a realist if we were losing every match 6-3 or similar neutrals would be happy be we wouldn't. There's not going to be high scoring games involving us this season now. I suspect that if MA was here in August the Everton game would have ended 1-0 rather than the thrilling 4-2 it was. I'm okay with that. Those new to supporting the Imps especially those very tender in years might be less so