Match Thread: Lincoln City v Shrewsbury Town | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Shrewsbury Town

Personally, I'd like to see Bishop play in the middle. I find him wasted on the left and when he drifts centrally it leaves Robson without an easy out ball down the line.

I agree and it seems that it's done to accommodate Fiorini. I really hope we aren't obliged to play him as part of his loan deal. Bishop would do that role much better.

A bit of a strange one all said. We played some decent stuff in patches without being dominant and missed our best chances when we weren't on top. When we were on top for a 15 minute spell quite late on the game, we should have created the chances to have won the game and didn't.

Shrewsbury competed well, caused enough issues with their crosses and long throws to keep us unsettled.

I'm going to be controversial here. Adelakun coming on led to our best spell of the game. In that time he went on a dazzling run, took up some great positions, stretched their defence and opened up a lot of space in midfield for our other players. He also tripped over his own feet and made the wrong choices several times.

It was an infuriating cameo but had glimpses of what he can bring to the team. The question for me is can he iron out the glitches in his game like Grant did at a similar age and become a more consistent player. I think this is a good year to give him every chance to try and prove himself.

He seems to have a decent attitude and personality when he speaks, so perhaps MA can find the right approach to tap into that. I wish him well.

That was a frustrating difficult watch, again conceding midfield to the other lot, though Sanders when he came on was a vast improvement on Sorenson and Fiorini, but little to beat. Dan tried hard but never looked like scoring, lacked a bit of pace but give him more games to sharpen up. Maguire did his best , plenty of effort but nothing came off for him. McGrandles probably man of the match for me. Generally too slow and ponderous. Note : I dont want to see any more long throws and hoofs into the box but it worked eventually for them. Div 2 bound I think if that is their only tactic.
Low level booing at the end, daft buggers.
UTI.

I thouhjt N'dululu had a good game and is getting better at playing Hoppers role..
But both Fullbacks seem to want to play the ball backwards too much.
But everything considered a points a point & they are all nearer a step to the top section of the table
Didnt see today, but did go to Wigan and the key to N'Lundulu's MoM performance there was that MA had set the team up so that he didnt play Hopper's role, but played to his different strengths.

I agree and it seems that it's done to accommodate Fiorini. I really hope we aren't obliged to play him as part of his loan deal. Bishop would do that role much better.
Clive went on record that the club will never agree to those sort of deals when the same comments were made about Rogers last season.

Fiorini had a good game on Tuesday when the 3 behind N'Lundulu interchanged to a degree that 'right' , centre' and 'left' were meaningless. Sounds like against the back 3 set up we so often struggle against, it was less effective. Plus ca change..

Clive went on record that the club will never agree to those sort of deals when the same comments were made about Rogers last season.

Fiorini had a good game on Tuesday when the 3 behind N'Lundulu interchanged to a degree that 'right' , centre' and 'left' were meaningless. Sounds like against the back 3 set up we so often struggle against, it was less effective. Plus ca change..

I wasn't there on Tuesday (nor the sheff Wed game!) so can't comment on Fiorini's peeformance, but I've been disappointed with him in recent weeks at home. Technically excellent, but maybe not physical enough for league 1. Might be harsh, but he always seems to be behind play going forward and defending perhaps needs a rest. After his yellow today he seem to almost disappear from the game. I appreciate he's not there to offer the steel, but only shows how much we miss bridcutt at times.

I don't listen anymore

I tried that, and although there wasn't much in it, I still felt that I derived more value from the monthly subscription to the audio broadcast by actually listening to it. Then the text came through with the final score, 45 seconds before the end of the game just as Shrewsbury launched their final attack and now I'm not so sure ...

A bit of a strange one all said. We played some decent stuff in patches without being dominant and missed our best chances when we weren't on top. When we were on top for a 15 minute spell quite late on the game, we should have created the chances to have won the game and didn't.

Shrewsbury competed well, caused enough issues with their crosses and long throws to keep us unsettled.

I'm going to be controversial here. Adelakun coming on led to our best spell of the game. In that time he went on a dazzling run, took up some great positions, stretched their defence and opened up a lot of space in midfield for our other players. He also tripped over his own feet and made the wrong choices several times.

It was an infuriating cameo but had glimpses of what he can bring to the team. The question for me is can he iron out the glitches in his game like Grant did at a similar age and become a more consistent player. I think this is a good year to give him every chance to try and prove himself.

He seems to have a decent attitude and personality when he speaks, so perhaps MA can find the right approach to tap into that. I wish him well.
Yes agree about Adelakun.

He obviously didn't hide and put in an anonymous performance, otherwise he wouldn't be attracting the negative comments from those looking to find a reason why we didn't win.

Yes agree about Adelakun.

He obviously didn't hide and put in an anonymous performance, otherwise he wouldn't be attracting the negative comments from those looking to find a reason why we didn't win.
We didnt win because the majority were very much under par, not one substitute.

Not read all this thread so apologies if I'm repeating another poster's comment but, we knew yesterday wouldn't be easy regardless of Shrewsbury's position in the table.
They beat Cambridge 4-1 last Saturday and had the added benefit of not playing last Tuesday night.
Would have liked the win but I'll take the draw.

Didnt see today, but did go to Wigan and the key to N'Lundulu's MoM performance there was that MA had set the team up so that he didnt play Hopper's role, but played to his different strengths.

Tuesday vs Wigan 13 attempts, 3 on target
Saturday vs Shrews 17 attemtps, 7 on target

We did create against Shrews, had the ball in the back of the net but ruled offside, Nlundulu had a golden chance early doors.

We weren't poor yesterday- we played ok, perhaps not with the intensity that we used against Wigan but we played ok.

"Griffiths is a liability" is probably the most clueless post I have seen on this forum for months.

Really does reflect the adage- put 5 football fans in a room and you'll get 6 opinions.

We didn’t play well yesterday, but defended resolutely and managed to take the lead with our one incisive bit of football. Their equaliser was from a long throw which went forty feet into the air and gently descended onto a head 10 yards out. If you don’t think that the goalkeeper was liable for a) not coming and catching it and b) getting nowhere near the header then keep your infantile scorn to yourself. The adults I talked to after the game agreed that the boy has no confidence under challenge, drops high balls even when not under pressure, causes mayhem with his hesitation in coming for through balls and passes direct to the opposition at least once in every game.

For me, one of the problems with us and conceding every league game so far is height in the team. We weren’t a tall side yesterday and after Jackson went off they caused us problems every time the ball went in the box from any set play. I know forwards are a priority in the window but with Jackson and Walsh being injured a large portion of games, it would be great if we could address this issue.

I thought Dan had a decent game and hopefully the confidence of his first goal at Wigan will help that. As for the game, it was pretty uninspiring for large parts until that 15-20 minute spell of pressure we had late on.

No idea if it does happen, but at times it seems there is no talking between keeper and central defence. Or perhaps no listening!
Yesterday, there were several relatively benign occasions that seemed to become problematic by what must only be piss poor communication and understanding.
I'm ok with the keeper, but there does look to be something not quite right in there.