Match Thread: Lincoln City v Scunthorpe United | Page 27 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Scunthorpe United

To me this looks like a problem with 42live's backend systems and unlikely to be anything at the ground. Given the broadband speeds quoted that people get it's unlikely the buffering would be at the users end. 42 Live's service would be shared across multiple servers and maybe locations, whether you get a good stream or not may have been dependent on which server or location you happened to be directed to. Which servers and location you get directed to would also be dependent on your location so Australia and South Africa may have hit servers with only a few on where users based in the uk from the same brodband supplier may have all been fighting for the share of a server/network which couldn't cope.

Time for 42Live's NOC to earn their corn then

Reluctant to ask outright for a refund if this is at cost to the club, but have emailed them about the poor quality.
Wonder if streaming on YouTube is the way forward for friendlies and having a raffle (wonder how the 50/50 draws have done for the Saturday reruns).

Liam’s busy on Twitter offering refunds. He says they’ve found the root of the problem. I think I saw 95% of the match. Sound was a problem but it was a practice run for me connecting to my TV so money well spent.

Last night was a tester for the club and the company. Other than the audio which was terrible, picture wise I was fine on this side of the Midlands and only missed Zak's goal due to a call of nature (which at my age just can't be ignored)

The club will have learned much from the broadcast. Not sure there is a further test that can be done before the season gets going though as all other pre-season ones are away. Perhaps if they need to test it again, stream a match between the 'First XI' and the 'second XI plus youths' for free to see if last nights issue can be dealt with.

Last edited:
Saw everything from 15 mins before kick off to the end but only 5 miles from the ground 😀
On the game, pleasing performance but I think Scunthorpe have a few injuries so not sure what the strength of their team was. But to counter that you could argue only one of our back 5 is likely to be a regular in the position they played. Whilst the other 6 probably all wouldn’t be in our league starting XI they would be in the mix I would expect.

Saw everything from 15 mins before kick off to the end but only 5 miles from the ground 😀
On the game, pleasing performance but I think Scunthorpe have a few injuries so not sure what the strength of their team was. But to counter that you could argue only one of our back 5 is likely to be a regular in the position they played. Whilst the other 6 probably all wouldn’t be in our league starting XI they would be in the mix I would expect.

Kevin Van Veen (remember him!) is injured for the Iron along with supposedly their best CH. they looked very poor even though I think that’s the squad that is available to them at the moment. We had quite a mixed side, still numerous first teameds not playing so it showed how big a gulf between the two sides at the moment, even though friendly results count for little.

They have their main starting striker Van Veen injured I think, he played for Northampton I think against us when we were in League 2, impressed me then, particularly with his interactions with our crowd :)

To me this looks like a problem with 42live's backend systems and unlikely to be anything at the ground. Given the broadband speeds quoted that people get it's unlikely the buffering would be at the users end. 42 Live's service would be shared across multiple servers and maybe locations, whether you get a good stream or not may have been dependent on which server or location you happened to be directed to. Which servers and location you get directed to would also be dependent on your location so Australia and South Africa may have hit servers with only a few on where users based in the uk from the same brodband supplier may have all been fighting for the share of a server/network which couldn't cope.

And might explain why it was mostly fine for me in deepest Wales...probably only Imp watching in my area.

And might explain why it was mostly fine for me in deepest Wales...probably only Imp watching in my area.
I've seen a post somewhere else saying it was a datacentre problem so it would have been luck/location that determined if you had a good stream or not.

Do we know yet how many did subscribe?

Perhaps club could give out such figures for all matches this season as it would be a nice way of showing attendance either for real or virtual.

I complained and this was their reply:Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

We are aware that many people experienced connection problems for last nights event, from our side this was caused by a datacenter that unfortunately was out of our control, that said we understand your frustration and for those who experienced problems with the connection we are offering a full refund.

I feel bad that I’ve taken money from the club - didn’t realise that😔

I complained and this was their reply:Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

We are aware that many people experienced connection problems for last nights event, from our side this was caused by a datacenter that unfortunately was out of our control, that said we understand your frustration and for those who experienced problems with the connection we are offering a full refund.

I feel bad that I’ve taken money from the club - didn’t realise that😔
I don't think you have to accept the refund do you? Tell them they've been very naughty but seeing as we won four nil you will let them off this time and not to do it again - the internet feed that is - they can win four nil as often as they want.

Must admit the picture on my I pad was perfect throughout I just turned the sound off it was so tinny sounding.

I thought we played some lovely stuff at times and the players looked well suited to a passing game.

The goalie looks very sound and looks a decent acquisition.

You can see why Bolger has gone was good in the air but not suited to a passing game.

Last night just further highlighted how well our club has been run in recent years. A few years ago, we sold Jonathan Margetts to Scunthorpe. He did nothing for them other than cost them money. Meanwhile, we used the money to sign Macauley Bonne on loan, who scored a vital goal against Tranmere, and then Theo Robinson who played a huge part in helping us to earn enough money to build the training ground. As a result, good young players are now enthusiastic about joining Lincoln as they see it as a good place to develop. An excellent butterfly effect.

Last night just further highlighted how well our club has been run in recent years. A few years ago, we sold Jonathan Margetts to Scunthorpe. He did nothing for them other than cost them money. Meanwhile, we used the money to sign Macauley Bonne on loan, who scored a vital goal against Tranmere, and then Theo Robinson who played a huge part in helping us to earn enough money to build the training ground. As a result, good young players are now enthusiastic about joining Lincoln as they see it as a good place to develop. An excellent butterfly effect.

The fact the Margetts scored loads for us in a short time, then bagged us a big pile of Scunny cash and THEN duly did as little as possible for them means he should always be welcomed back at the bank !

For home friendlies wouldn't it be an idea to stream on youtube? A platform that definitely handle it and everybody can connect to...........and gives access to the Imps to a much wider audience. Non City fans tuning etc.