Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth | Page 20 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth

The next 3 games are as easy as they’ll get for the rest of the season compared to the normal run of 3 L 1 games
Problem is two of those games are at home, and you would expect the likes of Accrington & Hartlepool to come here with the attitude of "Do not lose!", which we struggle to breakdown.

I've just spent the last couple of hours doing a Safer Recruitment and Selection course for work, which I passed. Happy to offer my services in the January transfer window if required.

Thing is to me is that we have 10 outfield players who virtually look exactly the same to me. They all have decent technique, they can all pass a ball but there is zero variety in the team.
Where is the dominant centre back. (Well we have got one but he's injured most of the time).
Where is the centre midfield player who can put his foot in and get stuck in a bit.(Well we have got one of them but he's also injured most of the time.
Where's the winger who has pace and can take people on and get quality crosses in.
Where is the centre forward that actually does a centre forwards job of competing, holding the ball, bringing others into the game and most importantly finding the back of the net.
Wheres the players we can bring off the bench when we need to change things, when we are chasing a game.
Our subs last night were exactly the same players that were already on.
We don't have a plan b, we only have plan a with a slight variation.
The manager has said that the style won't be changing but when the keeper is dropping the ball to a centre back in his own 18 yard box when we are 2-0 down and need a goal to be back in the game that for me is not right.
The manager will live or die by his decisions but for me he got outdone by Danny and Nicky last night.
Portsmouth varied the way they played and had the players to do it.
Recruitment has to be a lot better for us. Its no good bringing in players who are all of the same mould. I get why they do it because that's the way they want to play but for me you need to be able play in a variety of ways and styles and even formations but you'll never be able to do that by just signing the same sort of cloned player whether that be on loan or permanent.

I also don't get the Jackson thing.
If he is unable to play every game why did he play against a second bottom team on Saturday yet he was not rested so that he would be available for for a much more important game in terms of quality of opposition on the Tuesday night.
The Manager bemoaned the fact that our centre backs won naff all all night yet our best centre back is sat in the stands resting.

If he is unable to play every game why did he play against a second bottom team on Saturday yet he was not rested so that he would be available for for a much more important game in terms of quality of opposition on the Tuesday night.
The Manager bemoaned the fact that our centre backs won naff all all night yet our best centre back is sat in the stands resting.

A very good point that, Jackson should have been saved for last night.

Appleton said in his post match interview that if Jackson had played last night he wouldn’t have been available for Saturday and possibly longer, due to ‘niggles‘ becoming injuries.

Maybe it makes more sense to play Saturday and Saturday in the league (two games over the week) than Tuesday, not be available Saturday and then be ready for the trophy?

Kind of irrelevant which days etc because Jackson could have played last night then not again until the FA Cup game. The point was that an excuse was given for why we weren't competitive and bullish at the back but MA took the decision to play him in the game which didn't necessarily require that as opposed to last night when those qualities were always going to be needed, whether against Hirst/Curtis or Marquis. Can't really use an excuse when the option was available for you and it wasn't taken.

Kind of irrelevant which days etc because Jackson could have played last night then not again until the FA Cup game. The point was that an excuse was given for why we weren't competitive and bullish at the back but MA took the decision to play him in the game which didn't necessarily require that as opposed to last night when those qualities were always going to be needed, whether against Hirst/Curtis or Marquis. Can't really use an excuse when the option was available for you and it wasn't taken.

I don't think it is irrelevant if you get two (league) games out of him rather than one?