Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth

If he's not capable of playing two games in a week then you play him Saturdays and not in the midweek game.

That way he plays twice instead of once.

Easy.

If Jackson can't play every game and is our most experienced and best centre back which game would you prioritise him to play in.
Donny , Portsmouth or Accrington?

If Jackson can't play every game and is our most experienced and best centre back which game would you prioritise him to play in.

That rather depends on whether you think we're chasing playoffs or in a relegation scrap.

In general some really disappointing views expressed about last night bearing in mind we are in significant period of transition - the recruitment team need a squib up their arse - and we need a sort out of players susceptible to longer periods on the treatment table - I would release older players who can't make 35+ games a season otherwise known as Walsh, Jackson and Bridcutt.

Appleton said in his post match interview that if Jackson had played last night he wouldn’t have been available for Saturday and possibly longer, due to ‘niggles‘ becoming injuries.

It's things like that that make you wonder about the sciencey people that rule over the physio section. Would the likes of Thommo have sat out a game just in case he might not be able to play the one after?

It's things like that that make you wonder about the sciencey people that rule over the physio section. Would the likes of Thommo have sat out a game just in case he might not be able to play the one after?

He didn't say that though he said "we probably wouldn't have had him Saturday and probably wouldn't have had him for another week or so..."

My take on this is Donny and Accrington. I didn't think we had much chance against Portsmouth tbh. However we expect(ed) to get points against the other 2.

That rather depends on whether you think we're chasing playoffs or in a relegation scrap.

So as the manager what would your thought process have been bearing in mind you know Jackson probably won't play Saturday Tuesday Saturday.
Surely you would of rested him against second from bottom Donny, played him as our best and most experienced centre half against a team in Portsmouth who you know are going to ask you many more questions than Doncaster and possibly have the bonus of him coming through the Portsmouth game unscathed so that he can play against Accrington on Saturday.
We're not talking about a bloke being pushed around in a wheelchair between games.
This blokes a professional athlete. If he can't play twice a week then if I were the manager I would be seriously looking at whether I want him in my squad or not.
We can't afford to carry anyone no matter who and that goes for Bridcutt aswell.

My take on this is Donny and Accrington. I didn't think we had much chance against Portsmouth tbh. However we expect(ed) to get points against the other 2.

That's a defeatist attitude Harry.
So far we have got 1 point and dropped 5 in the first two games..
You always play your best team available according to circumstances.
We needed Jackson at the heart of our defence last night, for his experience if nothing else.
Even the manager was moaning the two centre backs he played won nothing.

Lots of debate about recruitment and style of play all of which is very valid.
What I really can’t understand is that at the end of last season we acknowledged as a club on a few occasions that we struggled against packed and physical midfields. Ok, so what did we recruit? Aggressive box to box midfield warrriors or lots of similar ball players who seem lightweight in a scrap with the possible exception of Wigan away?
Am I being unfair or do others think we have said one thing re recruitment (especially after Blackpool at Wembley) and done another?

I think we are missing the point here a little about Jackson. TJ played left centre back in the run in last season, and kept Jackson out of the team. TJ was also a marquee permanent signing a few months ago.

Its not therefore as if we were played an untested reserve to leave Jackson out to nurse his fitness. Of course nobody knew TJ would have his worst game in an Imps shirt.

Having said that, I agree completely about relying too much on the medical team. They will always err on the side of caution, and recommend rest if in any doubt at all. As someone else quite rightly said, would Murphy have "rested" Thommo back in the 80s - or indeed would Thommo have wanted a rest?

Times have changed though, not always for the better.

So as the manager what would your thought process have been bearing in mind you know Jackson probably won't play Saturday Tuesday Saturday.
Surely you would of rested him against second from bottom Donny, played him as our best and most experienced centre half against a team in Portsmouth who you know are going to ask you many more questions than Doncaster and possibly have the bonus of him coming through the Portsmouth game unscathed so that he can play against Accrington on Saturday.
We're not talking about a bloke being pushed around in a wheelchair between games.
This blokes a professional athlete. If he can't play twice a week then if I were the manager I would be seriously looking at whether I want him in my squad or not.
We can't afford to carry anyone no matter who and that goes for Bridcutt aswell.
He did plenty of running at halftime thought he was coming on as Montsma seemed to be struggling.

I also don't get the Jackson thing.
If he is unable to play every game why did he play against a second bottom team on Saturday yet he was not rested so that he would be available for for a much more important game in terms of quality of opposition on the Tuesday night.
The Manager bemoaned the fact that our centre backs won naff all all night yet our best centre back is sat in the stands resting.

Not only better quality opposition but also more direct opposition. Seemed a no brainer if he can only play one or the other.

Well that was a painful experience. We laid down, rolled over and let Pompey tickle our bellies, before they bit us. Lets start with the positives. We played well in the first 10 minutes. After that we were out outfought and outthought. Griffiths kept us in the game for longer than we deserved. Draper was promising, although understandably faded n the second half. Fiorini, Mcgrandles and Maguire showed some heart and spirit in the second half, although Pompey were in cruise control at 2-0 up and took their foot off the gas.
Plenty of sour notes to chew on. The defence was leaky especially TJ who unfortunately had a complete mare., even affecting Montsma who has been top drawer of late. The playing out from the back was hard to watch at times. We l lost so many first and plenty of second contacts. I had to question our commitment and work rate as it was miles behind theirs. Not that Pompey were amazing, we just made them look so, they just did the basics well. Infact they were better last season at the Bank, when they played with a real swagger.

The midfield is just not working. Too light weight and samey. Plenty of individual flair, but little team work. This is where we lost the game, as the midfield was a Lincoln free zone. We had so little pace or tenacity and no width. Upfront, Freddie showed promise but where are the goals coming from?
Apps is very stubborn and there does not appear to be much of a plan b. The substitutes made little impact with the exception of the usually maligned Hakeeb, who did make a difference. Roll on January . Let's hope we can grind out some results against moderate opponents, between now and then. Up the imps.

Just on the point about not having a plan b... I think Luke made a good point about it being more like when Appleton started, which was the worst period in terms of our playing style being dogmatic, but I'm not totally sure what a potential plan b could look like?

I think we had a good plan b last season where the 433 became more like a 4231 with two players holding and then the wingers pushed way up, with less defensive responsibility. A bit like Sunderland in the playoffs? But this was reliant on teams being more attacking, the opposition back four pushing up and the full backs leaving space in behind them. Teams don't really do that at sincil bank now as a rule- they pay us a little bit more respect.

As such I think the only way *really* is playing out of the back four. You can't punt it forward to a front three of Maguire, Bishop and Draper without turning the ball over repeatedly... So the only way is playing out the back better or differently right? I think this is where we might miss Bridcutt a bit because he could sit into a bit of a back three and has a lot of experience of that? But I'm not sure what else we can do. I can't imagine they're not working on patterns of play out the back!

I would agree, 3 points against Donny would have been more valuable and more realistic than 3 against Pompey.
But having said that a number of people are missing the point, if he’d rested Saturday but played last night then he would miss Accrington (in all likelihood). How is that benefiting us?

I think we are missing the point here a little about Jackson. TJ played left centre back in the run in last season, and kept Jackson out of the team. TJ was also a marquee permanent signing a few months ago.

Its not therefore as if we were played an untested reserve to leave Jackson out to nurse his fitness. Of course nobody knew TJ would have his worst game in an Imps shirt.

Having said that, I agree completely about relying too much on the medical team. They will always err on the side of caution, and recommend rest if in any doubt at all. As someone else quite rightly said, would Murphy have "rested" Thommo back in the 80s - or indeed would Thommo have wanted a rest?

Times have changed though, not always for the better.

And my views on the physio science bods are not just based on my knowledgeless self-opinionatingism rants, but are also the views of coach at our League2 'friends' up the A15, someone with many years in the professional game.

And my views on the physio science bods are not just based on my knowledgeless self-opinionatingism rants, but are also the views of coach at our League2 'friends' up the A15, someone with many years in the professional game.

Yeah, I get that re “we’re not physio science bods” but there’s a continual and annoying frustration around us wrapping our players in cotton wool? We claim our best defenders are Jacko and Walsh, but they’re professional footballers that can’t play more than a game a week? I mean, come on? What other teams do we hear can’t play their (so called) best players because they can’t manage more than a game a week without niggles and injuries? I’d also include Bridcutt and Bishop in that equation. Either we’re just completely unlucky, or something in our training regime is the problem? I’m not a physio science bod, but I am continually pi**ed off that we can’t regularly play our best players as they can’t be risked? If it was a feature of the modern game every team would experience the same? If they can’t be risked and can’t play 30-40 games a season, as professional footballers are expected, surely we need to get rid and not waste wages on players that spend most of their time on the treatment table?