Match Thread: Lincoln City v Peterborough United | Page 9 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Peterborough United

Funny, according to the Peterborough press only one team was trying to win that, we were content to sit and defend. Seems one of our few chances was when Hamilton, 'took time off from pulling shirts at set pieces, without getting punished, to send a weak sidefoot shot wide'.
Hilariously the posh press saw the match like most non-biased fans.

Live in the stadium was a good atmosphere today.

Good game against the best team we have played this season.

Not a lot of clear cut chances created by both sides but lots of good football played by both teams.

I personally think we would have won the game if we had more quality down the right hand side. We need someone with pace and can take players on and beat them. We worked multiple opportunities down the right but although Sorrenson gives 100% and works his socks off he just doesn't have that quality going forward.

As others have said we do need to start putting a few in the back of the net and registering a few 3 points on the board but you can't compare this team with Kennedy's team. Kennedy's team wouldn't of even got near Peterboroughs penalty box today and it would of been their attack versus our defence and we would of lost 3 nil.

It's work in progress but it's such a difference with two up top. They are still working out how each other play but that will only get better. Seems also to be a lot more intensity to our game and more aggression.

Hopefully we can add 1 or 2 this week before the window closes then we can concentrate on picking a settled team and working on the way we want the team to play in more detail.

Another good performance and and another good 0-0, but again with better finishing we could have won that. We have to start putting away some of these chances or we still start to pay the price. I think a draw was a fair result on the balance of play and chances. The possession stats will suggest that Peterborough were in complete control but a fair whack of that was them playing it around the back. They are clearly a good team, but we nullified them very well.

The defence and team organisation, again, was superb. The man of the match for me could have been any of the three centre backs. We did very well intercepting passes and stealing the ball from Peterborough. Though think we need to work on the speed of transition from defence to attack through the midfield, there were times where we were a bit too slow (though to more experienced eyes this may be due to Peterborough’s excellent organisation as well). Furthermore, I think we need to get more support to players on the ball further up the pitch, because it seemed like we were too isolated at times. It is great to see players that are willing to run and take on the opposition.

Freddie draper has made such a big difference to our team. He has improved no end since his loans. His understanding of his strength, hold up play and hold up play are great. He gives us a focal point and something to aim for. I think it’s no surprise that Jensen’s kicking has improved since Freddie has returned. When he’s on the pitch you can aim for him and be confident he will at least challenge, if not win the ball. When he’s not there we have to play more risk adverse balls towards the wings which Jensen has a tendency to kick straight out. We need to get players close to Freddie to pick up his loose balls. I hope house is close to being back otherwise we have to look at getting an additional forward in to cover when Draper and Taylor come off.

I was concerned before the game with Hackett at wing back but he did a good job, though clearly he will be more effective further up the pitch. Also, appreciation for Teddy who, in my mind, had one of his better games today (hopefully the injury isn’t too bad). Sorensen had a strange game, moments of brilliance mixed with very poor moments.

The one major downside today for me (again) was the offensive set pieces, which in brutal honestly continue to be poor and ineffectual.

With better finishing/decision making we could have won that, but it’s great improvement versus a few weeks ago. The defensive work (midfield included) continues to be excellent and I can’t see O’Connor getting straight back in the team.

Fingers crossed for some goals and wins in the near future.

I think what Norfolk is getting at is that, although performances have been much better the last two games, our record under Skoobs is no better than under MK.

Posh are unbeaten in 11 third tier matches ahead of their trip to Sincil Bank. ‘The Imps’ have not won any of their last eight League One matches, although they’ve turned in some decent displays against the top sides at home, including last weekend when drew 0-0 with Derby County in a match they should have won.

Yeah we really should be gubbing teams like Derby and Peterborough.

Not the best comparison with a Kennedy season.

I think the loss at home to Northampton was the worst result for MS so far. But with that was when we had no forward line.

Live in the stadium was a good atmosphere today.

Good game against the best team we have played this season.

Not a lot of clear cut chances created by both sides but lots of good football played by both teams.

I personally think we would have won the game if we had more quality down the right hand side. We need someone with pace and can take players on and beat them. We worked multiple opportunities down the right but although Sorrenson gives 100% and works his socks off he just doesn't have that quality going forward.

As others have said we do need to start putting a few in the back of the net and registering a few 3 points on the board but you can't compare this team with Kennedy's team. Kennedy's team wouldn't of even got near Peterboroughs penalty box today and it would of been their attack versus our defence and we would of lost 3 nil.

It's work in progress but it's such a difference with two up top. They are still working out how each other play but that will only get better. Seems also to be a lot more intensity to our game and more aggression.

Hopefully we can add 1 or 2 this week before the window closes then we can concentrate on picking a settled team and working on the way we want the team to play in more detail.
Football is such a funny old game- I thought Posh were extremely poor, nowhere near Bolton or Derby in terms of quality. I guess we all see football differently. Meanwhile, at Morecambe, Ali Smith played a MOTM game for Colchester....playing is his actual position. Who'd have thought it!

Football is such a funny old game- I thought Posh were extremely poor, nowhere near Bolton or Derby in terms of quality. I guess we all see football differently. Meanwhile, at Morecambe, Ali Smith played a MOTM game for Colchester....playing is his actual position. Who'd have thought it!

I think we made posh look average by being organised, stopping them from playing through the wings effectively and regularly intercepting balls in midfield.

A very sobering statistic from today's game Vs Posh.

The last time that they failed to score a goal in a League game was against Northampton Town on...

wait for it...

Saturday...

19th AUGUST last year!

Amazing, eh?

Last edited:
Another good entertaining game following on from last Saturday, we were more aggressive today and played some good stuff, you can see now how MS wants us to play on the front foot when we can, dont give the other lot time on the ball. Freddie and Taylor didn't get the breaks and the ball ran for the other lot. From the last three difficult games we didnt lose and showed a lot of promise. We didnt seem to be in trouble at all at the back, Mitchell as uncompromising as ever, and Jackson missed nothing, very solid back four, though Sorensen was a bit shaky at times second half. Will be interesting to see how we play against a string of mid table teams in February. Good to see Clive there and somebody said Fergie senior turned up.

Yeah agreed, Oxford were the best I have seen this season. So slick and well drilled.

Now without said manager

A very sobering statistic from today's game Vs Posh.

The last time that they failed to score a goal a goal in a League game was against Northampton Town on...

wait for it...

Saturday...

19th AUGUST last year!

Amazing, eh?

Might be me but I have absolutely no idea what you’re on about here.

(Amended to 'failed to score a goal' as it should have said. Ooops!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a very even game between two committed, organised sides where both teams pretty much cancelled each other out with very little to choose between them. Neither side had that little spark to score the winner with Imps having the best opportunities and Peterborough finishing a little stronger.

Don't know what the Peterborough press made of the game but Lincoln will be happy with their performance. If they do think they were the only side trying to win they are talking bollocks and are just peeved that we didn't roll over like we have done recently against them.

Another good entertaining game following on from last Saturday, we were more aggressive today and played some good stuff, you can see now how MS wants us to play on the front foot when we can, dont give the other lot time on the ball. Freddie and Taylor didn't get the breaks and the ball ran for the other lot. From the last three difficult games we didnt lose and showed a lot of promise. We didnt seem to be in trouble at all at the back, Mitchell as uncompromising as ever, and Jackson missed nothing, very solid back four, though Sorensen was a bit shaky at times second half. Will be interesting to see how we play against a string of mid table teams in February. Good to see Clive there and somebody said Fergie senior turned up.

Jules got a photo opportunity with a legend.

I hope AF paid for his ticket