Match Thread: Lincoln City v Peterborough United | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Peterborough United

Good reset on where the team is this season. Posh aren't a top 6 team- they have some good players with attacking intent for L1 (but who would be out of their depth in Champtionship) but defensively can be opened up if played the right way. Average side who will finish somewhere between 7th and 10th this season. Stats don't always give the full picture- we had MORE attempts on goal than Posh this afternoon- it just didn't feel like it.

However I don't think, apart from an Montsma overhead kick, that their keeper had a save to make all game (having said that they weren't much better first half.....just more clinical).

Starting the game with a back 5 including Sorensen on the right, the first half was very flat, passive and limp....which played into their hands. There was no intensity, no sting to get the atmosphere going (was very flat all game from BOTH sets of fans). Apart from one shot on target in first half neither keeper had a save to make.

We moved from a back 5 to a back 4 when Erhahon went off injured on 40 mins, Plange coming on and House slipping into a No 10 role (at least it looked like that).

Second half we started brightly, looked like we might create something....they scored again and it was "Goodnight Vienna".

Diamond looks a shadow of the pre Xmas player we had (more coal than Diamond). Madriou also has not hit the levels we, or the management, we expecting (in my opinion). In fact, looking at Posh No 15 (Ogbeta) at left back was a reminder of how much we need a proper wingback who understands the role and can play the role. Having said that, even with Toffs or Edun, we don't have players in front of them who struggle to play in a wingback system.

Mk said two weeks ago something like "it's great to be 11th but he's not sure we are an 11th place team this season"- and he's probably right. We will end up around 14-15th place at season end.

Not much to find positive today- in fact more than a few negatives- Erhahon going off injured (looked like hamstring issue), O'Connor getting booked (so he will miss the Fleetwood game next week), Poole injured and we lost our unbeaten home record to Peterborough!

Disappointing day all round today
Starting with 5 at the back at home is not the way to sell season tickets, lower revenue = less spend on players. .

The ‘bankrolled’ argument is true, but we’ve been boring all season, against clubs with smaller budgets Too. So it’s a non argument. Truth is, we have no flair players, no creators and certainly no goal scorers. That’s why we have averaged less than a goal per game all season. Boring & dull is what it is. What really intrigues me is how that translates into season ticket renewals.
I'm not sure about the "no goal scorers" bit. We don't create enough to find out. Stick Kane or Haaland up top with this shower and they would struggle. Absolutely clueless going forward.

Got beaten first time at home this season and ,,lost the dressing room" comments already there.
More embarrassing than our performance today...
I'm not one for overdramatising but that was really poor and a lot of them just didn't look interested. I said it about Diamond a few weeks ago but I wonder if it's the one bad apple effect? I'm usua;lly an optimist and I'm hopeful for next season but that today was something else. There must have been a reason?

I'm not one for overdramatising but that was really poor and a lot of them just didn't look interested. I said it about Diamond a few weeks ago but I wonder if it's the one bad apple effect? I'm usua;lly an optimist and I'm hopeful for next season but that today was something else. There must have been a reason?
I wouldn't say we lack the effort. We tried. Trouble is once we get behind it will always be a mountain to climb with our dramatically limited power up front. Heads dropped after the second goal a bit maybe but I thought effort was there.
In the end we were just soundly beaten by a far better team. Sometimes there is no other reason than that. Football. ..

Last edited:
MK “We were really brave today”

he must mean by coming out 2nd half

cos 1 shot on target isn’t brave

Beaten by a better team today. Pure and simple. Their first was pure class. Thought Plange made a diff when he came in but they deserved the win
We were certainly beaten by a better team but they weren’t that good. They attacked with spirit, bravery, freedom and confidence, all things we lack. They did though struggle a bit after their initial domination failed to produce any clear chances, their first goal was down to rank bad defending, not any form of class pure or otherwise, just competent forward play.

Mk post match interview, he says he has been telling the players all week that we don’t want to get involved in a wave game, where one team attacks and then the other team has an attack. What planet is this fella on, I thought that was the basis of any football match. We put that into practise very well though, Posh attacked as a team so we defended, we attack as a 3 man forward line while the back 7 stay defending in case Posh win the ball and attack us.
Please get rid of him he is a sponge that is draining all the enjoyment out of watching the Imps.

It is hard to watch, no doubt about that, but i'd be interested to know how many fans wouldn't have been happy with 14th place at this stage if asked pre season?

It is hard to watch, no doubt about that, but i'd be interested to know how many fans wouldn't have been happy with 14th place at this stage if asked pre season?
From the set up off the pitch provided by the current chairman and board it is the minimum where we should be. We are not the little meek ‘ not a pot to p*ss in ‘ club we used to be, but this bloke is doing his best to take us back there.