Match Thread: Lincoln City v Peterborough United | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Peterborough United

I think we have had that coming. By the law of averages all those games with desperate defending and inspired keeping couldn't go on indefinitely and we were due a bit of a thrashing. Unfortunate it's been Posh twice this season but they have good movement and play it simple and do seem to be coming into good form at the right time of the season.
What I will say it that unless there is a bigger than expected investment from the new investors we are not going to bring in better players in the summer than we already have and they will just be different ones. I also don't subscribe to the view that the manager will bring in his own choice of players to fit his style and then everything will magically fit into place.
The attacking players currently at the club...and some who have come and gone... aren't that bad, a number of them have played at a higher level, and they are certainly better than they are presently displaying.
We know the club is well run and they will be constantly evaluating decisions made and decisions still to be made. I would expect a few things to be done differently next season.

Attacking wise, who is better than they are currently displaying?

MK is trying to polish a turd. Sack him by all means, reappoint Sir Danny of Cowley, Steve Cotterill or Gareth Ainsworth, but without a competitive budget being this is about what you’re going to get. You can argue that MK setting us up as he does is negative. You can can equally argue that it’s clever and that his pragmatism will more than likely keep us up. Today was shite, but honestly, who below us in the table is trying to play total football? When, chasing a game at home your option as a 2nd sub attacker is a promising kid from the youth team, is it the manager at fault or the budget? We‘ve got what we can afford, not really sure MK is actually the problem.

'Total football' ... I dont think anyone expects total football. Just a little bit more possession would do for starters.

MK is trying to polish a turd. Sack him by all means, reappoint Sir Danny of Cowley, Steve Cotterill or Gareth Ainsworth, but without a competitive budget being this is about what you’re going to get. You can argue that MK setting us up as he does is negative. You can can equally argue that it’s clever and that his pragmatism will more than likely keep us up. Today was shite, but honestly, who below us in the table is trying to play total football? When, chasing a game at home your option as a 2nd sub attacker is a promising kid from the youth team, is it the manager at fault or the budget? We‘ve got what we can afford, not really sure MK is actually the problem.

Firstly we have a competitive budget, probably the highest in our history. Not a top ten budget in this division this year, but comfortably a mid table budget. So we are not in any way over achieving in my view.

Secondly, nobody is asking for total football. Just to have a little more possession, more shots on target, and to be entertained.

I fear he is morphing into his tutor Mr Mick Mccarthy. Functional manager but unattractive football.
Season ticket already renewed for me but quite a few around me are not going to renew Due to Dull as dishwater football.

We are in the same league as these teams so why are we so scared to attack them, we are league 1 side player against other league 1 players.

If you want to play 3 at the back then fine but have the wingbacks higher. Play a 3rd midfielder to control the game and have two out and out front men upfront As currently the wider two front me. Offer nothing either attacking wise or defensively All they are doing for me is stopping the wing backs getting forward even if they were good enough to.

Last edited:
Shodipo and Diamond... Shodipo has played a lot of championship games and performed well for Oxford in L1. Diamond, I think its fair to say, was anticipated to be much better by both Sunderland and us. Could possibly add Plange too.

I think Shodipo and Diamond are displaying the reason they are out on loan. Shodipo is 25 and Diamond is 23- not "kids" but players who, if they were going to make it in a Championship Squad, would be there by now. They both clearly have some talent but are not Championship level players- they have neither the strength or ability.

I fear he is morphing into his tutor Mr Mick Mccarthy. Decent manager but unattractive football. Season ticket already renewed for me but quite a few around me are not going to renew.

We are in the same league as these teams so why are we so scared to attack them.

If you want to play 3 at the back then fine but have the wingbacks higher. Play a 3rd midfielder to control the game and have two out and out front men upfront As currently the wider two front me. Offer nothing either attacking wise or defensively All they are doing for me is stopping the wing backs getting forward even if they were good enough to.

It isn't the formation- we played 2/3rds of the game yesterday with a back 4......and conceded 2 goals.

Our squad contains enough talent to express themselves .They are shackled by negative tactics and the body language exhibited is a worry. .The crowd is flat the life is being sucked out of the match day.There is your turd right there curled out by Kennedy

Firstly we have a competitive budget, probably the highest in our history. Not a top ten budget in this division this year, but comfortably a mid table budget. So we are not in any way over achieving in my view.

Secondly, nobody is asking for total football. Just to have a little more possession, more shots on target, and to be entertained.

A budget so competitive that 2 of our summer signings were free transfers from Bradford (one of which has surprisingly good to be fair) and our strikers came out of non league? The majority of the better players aren’t ours but with the notable exception of Rushworth they aren’t that great either. The lack of genuine quality is there for all to see.

I fear he is morphing into his tutor Mr Mick Mccarthy. Functional manager but unattractive football.
Season ticket already renewed for me but quite a few around me are not going to renew Due to Dull as dishwater football.

We are in the same league as these teams so why are we so scared to attack them, we are league 1 side player against other league 1 players.

I've been a regular since sometime early-mid 90s and am yet to renew. I've already knocked Tuesday games on the head and yesterday has me considering the next 3pm game. Living in Barnsley, a 2.5 hour round trip to watch the current stuff isn't enticing at all. When we play them, on a Tuesday, I will just try to get through Wednesday as anonymously as I can!!!
I will almost certainly renew, but if next season is more of the same I will be done until we show a bit more attacking intent. I'm not asking for promotion, play-offs, or total football, just something to get me off my seat occasionally. Christ, nobody on the pitch looked like they were even angry about yesterday, just meekly rolled over for their bellies tickling. Everyone I heard walking out (at the final whistle!!) was either totally disinterested or angry.
As a snapshot, there are 3 of us. I'm on the fence and likely to renew. One will definitely renew and lives in the city. The other will not, purely down to the football on offer, he has no time or money restraints in the equation. A fourth guy, next to my mate, much more long standing supporter than us, is also fence sitting as it stands, and has not yet renewed. Very small sample, for sure, but 75% uptake at best.

I fully appreciate that MK can only select from what he has in front of him and with our current squad he has big problems.
I have already stated that I would be happy if we finished around 14th this season. But I don't think it is unrealistic to expect some attacking intent from the team especially in home games. Now I don't have all the coaching qualifications or badges that MK has but aimless long balls to forwards usually dwarfed by defenders seems a strange tactic to me. And it must be what the players have been 'coached ' to do has it happened time and again on Saturday.
Our attacking players have not set the world on fire but what do they have to work with? I can't think of one occasion when they had a through ball to run on to yesterday. I just hope we can some how get those 4 or 5 points we need before the end of the season.
One other thing from yesterday was Plange. He has been getting pelters for his performances up to now but in those last few minutes before half time he did show what he is capable of. Yes he was part of the general malaise in the second half but perhaps it is not all down to him but what he has around him?

Having slept on it, it was the lack of intensity, as Mark Hone would say, that was the biggest disappointment yesterday. After hearing MK say they needed to deliver a 'performance', I was expecting us to be up and at 'em, right from the off but apart from 5 mins at the start of the second half, the whole display was passive.

I don't expect 'total football', whatever that is in L! but i do hope for passion, energy and yes, Intensity - that was definitely absent yesterday

spot on.

With respect, why is that "spot on"?

Who is expecting "total football"?

Why is the "budget" causing this when we have the highest budget in our history?

And having to bring on Makama when chasing the game (after bringing on our 1million worth striker loan signing don't forget) is after selling Hopper and sending Kendall out on another pointless loan. Why is that the fault of the budget?

Think that's earliest I've left a game in all honesty. Had things to do and didn't leave long after third.

Peterborough were a frustrating, diving, dirty team.
Ref was incompetent.
But we worse than the ref on the day and certainly deserved to lose 3 0, didn't have the know how to stand up to Posh. And between their nonsense they played good football moving the ball much quicker than ourselves without breaking much of a sweat.
All the factors above made for horrible viewing.

I genuinely think we have basis for good side contracted next season Roughan, O'Connor, Montsma, Jackson(?), Erhahon, Mandriou, Bishop(?) and House. But we need to bring in a lot of quality around that. Genuinely feels like House, Mandriou and Bishop only players capable of making anything happen in open play at minute, possibly Erhahon as well but not seen enough of him yet, that isn't enough players with the quality to make a different in open play going forward, it's not hard for League 1 opposition to just keep a few players out the game. We certainly need a lot more attacking wise next season. Which no slight on House or Mandriou, I rate both highly, but they can't do it by themselves. Don't know what's happened to Diamond, looked superb first month, just seems to play for himself now in all honesty, on a different wavelength to everyone else.

Add in that at the moment we have Poole, Virtue and Rushworth as well as those contracted players mentioned above and we do have some good players right now, I think Shopido is alright as well, but we are not playing like it often enough. We've seen good moments, when on the same page we look a decent side. But too often feels like team playing two different game plans. Half the team will press and other half drop off. Half the team try to pass through other half lump it forward. I'm lost to what our style is. That is very worrying.

We need 5 more points ASAP. Then I hope Kennedy starts to experiment more looking to next season. Would like to see a 433 one game with Erhahon (if ok after knock), Bishop and Virtue one game. All be it that is risky as we don't have much at all in midfield beyond them three.

If we have got what we can afford and MK is not the problem then I , you or anyone on here may as well be the coach.

It is our policy to buy and develop players so your statement of trying to 'polish a turd' may be true but THAT IS HIS JOB.

He is responsible for the coaching, tactics and performance and he has to own it.

Yes, we are in this position with the squad because of previous poor recruitment, because we brought to many players of the same ilk, mainly midfielders and did not address the the problem staring us right in the face that we needed forwards that why we are where we are.

I don't expect us to be in the playoffs but our budget can't be that bad when we have reportedly just forked out 300 grand on a player.

The problem is not the league position, its probably where we expected to be but we all hope secretly that we could possibly challenge, it's the way we set up and play, not that is all Kennedys fault but it's his head on the line.

Gez George is as culpable for the shortcomings we have in the playing staff as is Kennedy is for serving up what we are having to watch as far as performances are concerned.

Like I have said they have got the summer window to, not get us to the all singing and dancing stage, but to recruit wisely in the position's that we clearly are short in that will allow us to play a much more balanced game, being a team that is good defensively but can also attack.

If George and Kennedy don't get that right then I'm afraid by October/November time they could be, and should be, looking for other employment.

Last edited:

We have a bottom eight budget.

Looking at our remaining fixtures, I can't see where our next point is coming from but I'll be at Fleetwood on Sat.