Match Thread: Lincoln City v Peterborough United | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Peterborough United

Never a great sign when supporters feel you're dull, boring side and it's concerning when even Radio Lincs, Echo and other local media also start trotting that out as well.

Don't get me wrong, we are generally a dull and boring side but when the face of the coverage i.e. local media also trotting that out it starts making it an even harder sell than it already is.

dull is the right word.

I’ve seen far worse Lincoln teams in my time, but I’m struggling to think of a more boring one.

Everybody said we needed less draws would be better with more loses and wins. At least we’ve got the first bit right!

They are spending millions more than we are. Simple as.

They're probably a smaller club than we are too. But they are bankrolled by one man.
The ‘bankrolled’ argument is true, but we’ve been boring all season, against clubs with smaller budgets Too. So it’s a non argument. Truth is, we have no flair players, no creators and certainly no goal scorers. That’s why we have averaged less than a goal per game all season. Boring & dull is what it is. What really intrigues me is how that translates into season ticket renewals.

I just want to watch some attacking football from us. This is dreadful. Never in my 50 years + of watching the imps can I find no motivation. Even during the national league days we would try and attack even if we fell short. Is the chairman and board of directors happy with our current approach. At half time all people talk about is how poor this is. We struggle to get more than 4 players over the half way line and at times today when the ball was played in the air to house the other players were at least 35 yards adrift from him. No wonder we are under constant pressure and have so little possession. The club needs re-igniting and there is only 1 man to do it. Get him back

I just want to watch some attacking football from us. This is dreadful. Never in my 50 years + of watching the imp can I find no motivation. Even during the national league days we would try and attack even if we fell short. Is the chairman and board of directors happy with our current approach. At half time all people talk about is how poor this is. We struggle to get more than 4 players over the half way line and at times today when the ball was played in the air to house the other players were at least 35 yards adrift from him. No wonder we are under constant pressure and have so little possession. The club needs re-igniting and they’re only 1 man to do it. Get him back

I‘d rather shit in my hands and clap than get ‘him’ back. It must be said though, I’d also rather shit in my hand and clap than watch us surrender as meekly as we did today. Very poor. Our lack of quality and ambition ruthlessly exposed.

More patience MK, wholesale changes again, then its 3-0.
during training times show the players what we can do with 3 at the back and playing out video's against the other top teams for acceptable results, they can do it MK give them the chance, as you have done in earlier season without any changes. You can learn from it as well.WHOLESALE changes is not about giving playing time to those on the bench,pick your strongest team, stick with it and then everybody will work harder.

Montsma came back strong after his injury, unfortunately all players look better with great players around them. Every ball Lewis played was over the top down the line with hardly any chance to win it. For those wanting Lewis to play as holding midfielder then today should put to bed that idea. You sometimes have to choose your tactics based on the players available and to hoof the ball up in the air to Plange, Diamond and Mandriou is just plain stupid, does Kennedy not see this. Where are the midfielders receiving the ball from the keeper and turning, creating space. No midfield link up with defence or attack, the only role the midfield have is to sit in front of the defence to prevent the opposing team from scoring. Kennedy must love it now we have both Virtue and Erhahon to be more defence minded. No pace, creativity throughout the team. I hope i'm wrong but the whole negative feel to our play might lead to a run of defeats and squeaky bum time towards the end of the season.

Good reset on where the team is this season. Posh aren't a top 6 team- they have some good players with attacking intent for L1 (but who would be out of their depth in Champtionship) but defensively can be opened up if played the right way. Average side who will finish somewhere between 7th and 10th this season. Stats don't always give the full picture- we had MORE attempts on goal than Posh this afternoon- it just didn't feel like it.

However I don't think, apart from an Montsma overhead kick, that their keeper had a save to make all game (having said that they weren't much better first half.....just more clinical).

Starting the game with a back 5 including Sorensen on the right, the first half was very flat, passive and limp....which played into their hands. There was no intensity, no sting to get the atmosphere going (was very flat all game from BOTH sets of fans). Apart from one shot on target in first half neither keeper had a save to make.

We moved from a back 5 to a back 4 when Erhahon went off injured on 40 mins, Plange coming on and House slipping into a No 10 role (at least it looked like that).

Second half we started brightly, looked like we might create something....they scored again and it was "Goodnight Vienna".

Diamond looks a shadow of the pre Xmas player we had (more coal than Diamond). Madriou also has not hit the levels we, or the management, we expecting (in my opinion). In fact, looking at Posh No 15 (Ogbeta) at left back was a reminder of how much we need a proper wingback who understands the role and can play the role. Having said that, even with Toffs or Edun, we don't have players in front of them who struggle to play in a wingback system.

Mk said two weeks ago something like "it's great to be 11th but he's not sure we are an 11th place team this season"- and he's probably right. We will end up around 14-15th place at season end.

Not much to find positive today- in fact more than a few negatives- Erhahon going off injured (looked like hamstring issue), O'Connor getting booked (so he will miss the Fleetwood game next week), Poole injured and we lost our unbeaten home record to Peterborough!

Disappointing day all round today

If you're thinking about Cowley Bingham imp, forget about it for me, they did this club no favours by going when they dld, and whinging when the money ran out, all self, and they haven't really been that good since.They probably won't be interested now, with a small budget.Then doing a deal in selling Rheady, making it a bit harder for MA. Rheady for me could have been good for us in MA's early stages. Rheady was an old style player, just like Milner at L'Pool, and 1or 2 more in the game of their ages 90 minute men.

This point about needing the summer transfer window to get MK players in, and to strengthen generally. I'm copying a post I made after the Oxford game
"Question/testing my understanding rather than a comment, but wasn't one of the points about "the model" that a certain style of football would be played which made loanees and potential sales attractive to Prem League clubs, and that any new manager would be able to "shoe in" to that system ie we would not be in the "traditional" situation of any new manager needs his own players for his own system? So the Dof and his team are identifying players for "the" system, rather than the new manager? "

Is my understanding of the model wrong, or has there been a shift in focus?

If you're thinking about Cowley Bingham imp, forget about it for me, they did this club no favours by going when they dld, and whinging when the money ran out, all self, and they haven't really been that good since.They probably won't be interested now, with a small budget.Then doing a deal in selling Rheady, making it a bit harder for MA. Rheady for me could have been good for us in MA's early stages. Rheady was an old style player, just like Milner at L'Pool, and 1or 2 more in the game of their ages 90 minute men.
Without the cowleys we would probably still be in the national league and would not have a training complex and not have inherited a further 5000 fans

That was just terrible. Reminiscent of the Todd Jordan days.

Big change needed next week. We’re safe but we can’t go on like this for another 10 games
I thought we didn't do anything much more different than in previous games. Tried to stay tight at the back, frustrate them etc. It's just one of those days. Concided early, lost key player and got beaten by a far better team . With their squad they can do it to anyone in this league.

Well ADHD caused me to forget this was an early kick off so I missed this game, bit it sounds like a good one to miss. However, I am meant to be able to organise a social life so stupid me 🙄

This point about needing the summer transfer window to get MK players in, and to strengthen generally. I'm copying a post I made after the Oxford game
"Question/testing my understanding rather than a comment, but wasn't one of the points about "the model" that a certain style of football would be played which made loanees and potential sales attractive to Prem League clubs, and that any new manager would be able to "shoe in" to that system ie we would not be in the "traditional" situation of any new manager needs his own players for his own system? So the Dof and his team are identifying players for "the" system, rather than the new manager? "

Is my understanding of the model wrong, or has there been a shift in focus?
I think there is so many directors and so many views that we don’t know what to focus on

Due to commitments elsewhere I didn’t go today. However, as I approached Newark I tuned into the post match.

This post match and the the games I have seen myself led me to this question.

Are we developing talent or stifling talent ?

The shots on target in games led me to draw conclusions to the latter.

One last point, if the model is developing talent, some of the players we have with talent may be off at the end of their contracts before we reap any benefit. Poole may be the first of many.

They are spending millions more than we are. Simple as.

They're probably a smaller club than we are too. But they are bankrolled by one man.
Peterborough take risks, we don’t, on or off the pitch. Lincoln’s purist approach to financial risk is laudable, but it does create a glass ceiling, unless the shareholders are able to be even more generous than they already have been

Disagree with some of the posts, I think the players do make the effort, but very simply they don’t have the quality, hence the reason for so many battling draws but a huge lack of goals. After they scored I felt the best we could get was a 1-1 draw but when Erhohn went off injured it was all over. The O’Connor booking leading to a two match ban along with what looked like a groin strain for Rushworth about summed the day up.