Match Thread: Lincoln City v Morecambe | Page 28 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Morecambe

A First win seen at home for five years, you must have had a crazy big smile when the ref blew to end the match. Did you get hammered after the game?

To wash down my haddock & chips from the Regal I had a bottle of sugar-free (or some such) Coca-Cola - bought in error instead of the Real Thing.

Actually, the last time I saw a home win Gavin Gordon (who I saw last night) was among the scorers.

Hopefully he can outdo Gary Fletcher's start as an imp. was it 5 in a row for him?

Gary Fletcher (as he then was) didn't score until his third Imps game. You may be thinking of a year later when he scored in the first six games of the season.

I'm told the last City player to score in his first four games was Dixie McNeil in 1972, so Marquis has just failed to equal that.

Important win for City yesterday, as usual thought we played some good flowing attacking football at times, particularly in the first half. Agree with others that Walsh made a difference.

Something I did notice, and it was the same against MK on Sat and the away game at Wycombe was the lack of steel and strength we seem to have. Players seem to lose out in 50/50 tussles and we don't win enough second balls imo.

I am stunned by some of the comments on here after the game. Some people appear to have no concept of how to enjoy football!

Last night was a cracking game, absorbing, end to end- first 30 we were almost untouchable, pace, creativity, quality. Was as good as it's been this season (Bramall's goal is currently my goal of the season- I could watch his run through the box on loop- the vision, the pass, the finish. Utterly sublime).

Sanders and Mcgrandles bossed midfield and Walsh was a welcome return. TJ looked more assured playing with Walsh in the back 4. Poole (albeit making a couple of errors) was again exceptional. Bramall is a player who is becoming almost first name on the team sheet- he is learning very quickly how to fit in with the team and style of play, In fact, I'd argue we need to find a left sided player up front who can build a relationship with Bramall because, if we can keep him next season, that is going to be explosice.

Evened out up to half time and then they came at us second half, we dropped 5 yards (or we dropped 5 yards and they came at us). We struggled to hold the midfield and their goal clearly gave us a nervy period. THIS is the point the crowd should have really stepped in. We have young players who try hard but when you try too hard, it doesn't always go to plan. Then you become scared and retreat.....which is what we started to do. Around 75 mins the crowd finally remembered what it was there for and started to get behind the team. And the team responded......no sh*t sherlock. Positive crowd reaction lifts team...... Max Sanders mentioned this in post match interview for the first time this season. Mentioned the players hear the crowd........

But it was a compelling match, the crowd remembered it had a role to play (finally), the team showed so much determination and resilience 2nd half.

We had chances too 2nd half. Last night was everything a football match should be and if anyone came away thinking "we were lucky" or "it was awful" then football isn't the game for you. As a game it was end to end, nail biting, intense. committed and passionate.

Glorious night of football.

We've had this conversation..

Brendan Bradley said:
It always surprises me why so many people say they only care about results.
It makes me wonder if they actually like football?
There are times when I'll accept an entirely pragmatic, percentage-based approach. Sometimes it's necessary to turn things around short-term, particularly when relegation looks imminent. And only if it works.
But as a medium-term plan, just for results? No thanks.
Anyone who's just interested in results doesn't need to watch the game, you may as well just follow it by text message.

"I'm perfectly happy to watch other teams football and then I will look for entertainment. When I support a team and go to a game then I only care if we win, winning is success, success is good for the team I support and drives further success. And there's the difference, you can't really support a team via text message"

I get it, you don't understand my viewpoint, but that isn't going to change it...

Important win for City yesterday, as usual thought we played some good flowing attacking football at times, particularly in the first half. Agree with others that Walsh made a difference.

Something I did notice, and it was the same against MK on Sat and the away game at Wycombe was the lack of steel and strength we seem to have. Players seem to lose out in 50/50 tussles and we don't win enough second balls imo.
Perhaps they’re under instructions not to tackle hard - in case they get injured 🤔🙄🙈

Gary Fletcher (as he then was) didn't score until his third Imps game. You may be thinking of a year later when he scored in the first six games of the season.

I'm told the last City player to score in his first four games was Dixie McNeil in 1972, so Marquis has just failed to equal that.

My memory hath failed me

I suppose were experiencing what it's like to be a mid-table side.

Lose a couple and you're in a relegation battle. Win a couple and there's talk of the play offs.
Spot on...

How folk can acknowledge that they expect us to be mid table yet at the same time not lose any games, is rather puzzling...

I think that we will be fine.

Part of this, though, could be reliant upon the support of the fans. As shown, and acknowledged, on Tuesday, having the fans getting behind the team can play a significant role is boosting the team to do well. I think that this also extends to social media - getting behind the team rather than pulling them down at every point can only have a positive effect. Decrying performances, effort, mindset and abilities will hardly inspire these, often young, players to better things.

It's our team, we want them to do well, so why not encourage them?

Come on you Imps!!!!!!©

Before the game : We need a win any way we can. Would be great just to get s scrappy win.
After the game: Well we won but we were lucky. If we play like the 2nd half we’re in trouble.
Its being so cheerful that keeps me going !!