Match Thread: Lincoln City v Morecambe | Page 27 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Morecambe

Seems a shot of non league is just the tonic to get the city/town back involved.
From their website:

Blues will be looking to make it eight unbeaten in the League and your support this season has been phenomenal, with the attendance on 7,600 we urge all supporters to purchase in advance of the game and use the print at home option to avoid queues with tickets priced at only £5 an adult!

Like some others, I thought we were average last night and a little lucky to get three rather than one point. Griffiths had a poor game, with his awful kicking second half putting us under pressure as the ball just kept coming back.

MaGuire's passing was poor throughout, and Whittaker faded out of the game after 15 minutes.

Plus points were Walsh of course, and I thought MacGrandles and Sanders did a huge amount of work in midfield, until Sanders not surprisingly tired.

Hopefully it will give us coonfidence for Saturday though, which will be a much sterner test.

I am stunned by some of the comments on here after the game. Some people appear to have no concept of how to enjoy football!

Last night was a cracking game, absorbing, end to end- first 30 we were almost untouchable, pace, creativity, quality. Was as good as it's been this season (Bramall's goal is currently my goal of the season- I could watch his run through the box on loop- the vision, the pass, the finish. Utterly sublime).

Sanders and Mcgrandles bossed midfield and Walsh was a welcome return. TJ looked more assured playing with Walsh in the back 4. Poole (albeit making a couple of errors) was again exceptional. Bramall is a player who is becoming almost first name on the team sheet- he is learning very quickly how to fit in with the team and style of play, In fact, I'd argue we need to find a left sided player up front who can build a relationship with Bramall because, if we can keep him next season, that is going to be explosice.

Evened out up to half time and then they came at us second half, we dropped 5 yards (or we dropped 5 yards and they came at us). We struggled to hold the midfield and their goal clearly gave us a nervy period. THIS is the point the crowd should have really stepped in. We have young players who try hard but when you try too hard, it doesn't always go to plan. Then you become scared and retreat.....which is what we started to do. Around 75 mins the crowd finally remembered what it was there for and started to get behind the team. And the team responded......no sh*t sherlock. Positive crowd reaction lifts team...... Max Sanders mentioned this in post match interview for the first time this season. Mentioned the players hear the crowd........

But it was a compelling match, the crowd remembered it had a role to play (finally), the team showed so much determination and resilience 2nd half.

We had chances too 2nd half. Last night was everything a football match should be and if anyone came away thinking "we were lucky" or "it was awful" then football isn't the game for you. As a game it was end to end, nail biting, intense. committed and passionate.

Glorious night of football.

I am stunned by some of the comments on here after the game. Some people appear to have no concept of how to enjoy football!

Last night was a cracking game, absorbing, end to end- first 30 we were almost untouchable, pace, creativity, quality. Was as good as it's been this season (Bramall's goal is currently my goal of the season- I could watch his run through the box on loop- the vision, the pass, the finish. Utterly sublime).

Sanders and Mcgrandles bossed midfield and Walsh was a welcome return. TJ looked more assured playing with Walsh in the back 4. Poole (albeit making a couple of errors) was again exceptional. Bramall is a player who is becoming almost first name on the team sheet- he is learning very quickly how to fit in with the team and style of play, In fact, I'd argue we need to find a left sided player up front who can build a relationship with Bramall because, if we can keep him next season, that is going to be explosice.

Evened out up to half time and then they came at us second half, we dropped 5 yards (or we dropped 5 yards and they came at us). We struggled to hold the midfield and their goal clearly gave us a nervy period. THIS is the point the crowd should have really stepped in. We have young players who try hard but when you try too hard, it doesn't always go to plan. Then you become scared and retreat.....which is what we started to do. Around 75 mins the crowd finally remembered what it was there for and started to get behind the team. And the team responded......no sh*t sherlock. Positive crowd reaction lifts team...... Max Sanders mentioned this in post match interview for the first time this season. Mentioned the players hear the crowd........

But it was a compelling match, the crowd remembered it had a role to play (finally), the team showed so much determination and resilience 2nd half.

We had chances too 2nd half. Last night was everything a football match should be and if anyone came away thinking "we were lucky" or "it was awful" then football isn't the game for you. As a game it was end to end, nail biting, intense. committed and passionate.

Spot on mate absolutely right. I think many of our fans think we should have dominated Morecambe for 90 minutes and not allowed them a shot at goal. They are decent and are fighting for their lives. How very dare they have a good 25 minutes and try to score a goal or two. Probably the same fans who thought that we were totally outplayed at MK on Saturday when we had far more of the game than Morecambe did at the Bank last night.

Spot on mate absolutely right. I think many of our fans think we should have dominated Morecambe for 90 minutes and not allowed them a shot at goal. They are decent and are fighting for their lives. How very dare they have a good 25 minutes and try to score a goal or two. Probably the same fans who thought that we were totally outplayed at MK on Saturday when we had far more of the game than Morecambe did at the Bank last night.

We couldn't string two passes together in the second half last night, it was abject. Even though we were pretty toothless 25 yards out at Milton Keynes, we could at least pass the ball to a team mate.

We couldn't string two passes together in the second half last night, it was abject. Even though we were pretty toothless 25 yards out at Milton Keynes, we could at least pass the ball to a team mate.

I think you went to the wrong game.....we play in red and white stripes not black and white stripes. There's no debating with anyone who claims " we couldn't string two passes together second half" because you clearly can't have watched the game.

From their website:

Blues will be looking to make it eight unbeaten in the League and your support this season has been phenomenal, with the attendance on 7,600 we urge all supporters to purchase in advance of the game and use the print at home option to avoid queues with tickets priced at only £5 an adult!
Don’t tell Clive. £5 to get in? He’ll be in meltdown at the thought. 😱

Couldn't agree more .Had a few pints in the Eagle then onto the football. Three points secured against a worthy advisory. What's not to like?

If we play like we did in the first half we'll give ourselves a big chance to stay up. If we play like in the second though we're in trouble.
It was a massive relief to hear that final whistle last night. After all that stress I had to have few drinks to calm down a bit.
Huge 3 points.

I keep reading if we play like we did in the second half regularly, we will be in trouble.

The fact we can play really well and did play pretty well in the first half is the important bit.

There is still a legacy of the struggles in the first half of the season in terms of confidence and expectation.

If you take the first half as a template, the signs were really good.

The dullards who sit behind me were all of a lather when Poole made a mistake, playing out from the back.

But the point was he was playing the right way (to win the match). He recovered his error and did the same thing again.

Thommo talks about risk and reward. He doesn't quite get it though because he means don't take risks.

Risk and reward is where you take a risk because the rewards if you do it successfully, are worth it.

Playing out from the back eventually resulted in Scully and Maguire pulling the Morecambe defence about and that's why we created the goals which won the match.

If we played like that on the second half we could well have won by four or five.

A really strong wind which made things difficult especially playing into it in the second half but we reverted to the no risk policy.

In many ways understandably given our position in the league and then the game. We were as Danny Cowley used to say, playing for the end. Then it becomes difficult.

You can't play ultra safe successfully because you make life too easy for the opposition. Their thoughts all turn to attack because you aren't making them defend.

That's basically what we did when we kicked virtually every goal kick long. The ball was just given to the opposition allowing Morecambe plenty of practice at attacking.

I am not saying it was the wrong tactic. As I say in our position in the league and the game you try to hold on to what you have... and the good news is we did.

What it doesn't mean is we aren't a Jerkyll and Hyde team. Our good play set up what followed.

We can replicate that again. A poor side can't play the way we can.

If we get in front on Saturday we might attack it differently because of the result last night.

Confidence is the key. 4 wins in 7 games.
2 home wins in 3 games.

If it became 6 wins in 9 games and 4 home wins in 5 games, what a difference you might see. Last night's toils make it a possibility.

Well, got back home a couple of hours ago after my overnight stay in Lincoln, so I'll give my thoughts on the match without as usual having had the pleasure(?) of reading through this thread yet.

I can say that the sole reason we won was because I didn't wear my unlucky Imps tie, resulting in my first home win in my nine visits to Sincil Bank since 2017.

We deservedly went 2-0 up and although we couldn't keep up the attacking momentum were still in control of the match up to half time (although a header from a Morecambe corner just before the break was only an inch wide). The only time they'd looked dangerous was when we gave them the ball.

In the second half we couldn't get going and their goal was no surprise when it came. We then only created one or two openings and were nothing like as good as in the first 25 minutes. But Morecambe looked rather limited, with their main tactic being to lob the ball up front.

For about two thirds of the game we weren't at our best, giving the ball away too often in all parts of the field. But we managed the three points which was all that mattered, and we'll play better than that and lose (as we have done a few times).

Well, got back home a couple of hours ago after my overnight stay in Lincoln, so I'll give my thoughts on the match without as usual having had the pleasure(?) of reading through this thread yet.

I can say that the sole reason we won was because I didn't wear my unlucky Imps tie, resulting in my first home win in my nine visits to Sincil Bank since 2017.

We deservedly went 2-0 up and although we couldn't keep up the attacking momentum were still in control of the match up to half time (although a header from a Morecambe corner just before the break was only an inch wide). The only time they'd looked dangerous was when we gave them the ball.

In the second half we couldn't get going and their goal was no surprise when it came. We then only created one or two openings and were nothing like as good as in the first 25 minutes. But Morecambe looked rather limited, with their main tactic being to lob the ball up front.

For about two thirds of the game we weren't at our best, giving the ball away too often in all parts of the field. But we managed the three points which was all that mattered, and we'll play better than that and lose (as we have done a few times).

A good succinct summary. Thank goodness you have chucked that tie. First win seen at home for five years, you must have had a crazy big smile when the ref blew to end the match. Did you get hammered after the game?

A good succinct summary. Thank goodness you have chucked that tie. First win seen at home for five years, you must have had a crazy big smile when the ref blew to end the match. Did you get hammered after the game?

Jeez, never going to moan about my six defeats on the bounce after reading that!