Match Thread: Lincoln City v Mansfield Town | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Mansfield Town

Disappointing however im aware fully of its the league or nothing now.Im not criticising the Cowleys but wont be attending the Wolves or Scunny games my money shall remain in my pocket for home and away league games.
If we did manage to win the next 2 of course i will be back?

Disappointing however im aware fully of its the league or nothing now.Im not criticising the Cowleys but wont be attending the Wolves or Scunny games my money shall remain in my pocket for home and away league games.
If we did manage to win the next 2 of course i will be back?
Ps the ref was absolutely awfull!!!

A few thoughts on some of the players after watching the game on iFollow:

I thought Chapman was poor in the first half but much better in the second.

Considering Luque isn't really a central midfielder he did as well as could be expected.

Gordon did well and could be a good option as a wing back, but on the other side after a good involvement early on Mensah didn't do too much.

A poor start by Crookes and at fault for the goal (could Slocombe have done a bit better?), but after that I thought he did OK - although he's only ever going to be fifth-choice centre back when everyone is fit and available.

After scoring I thought Rhead was a bit disappointing, and after his good run in the first half, McCartan even more so - in fact there wasn't much real threat up front.

So, that was pretty horrible. But, as others have commented, a single piece does not a jig-saw puzzle make. The bigger picture is the League and quite a few players have got game time tonight that will help progress in that department in the medium term.

It might appear to be a bit too much like chess at times but absolutely no-one will complain if we get to L1.

Gordon looked better in 2nd half getting forward I thought, looks more like a right winger.
Agreed. The lad is a winger, thought he was having a bit of a mare 1st half defensively, but much improved going forward in the 2nd half. Luque got more involved as the game went on as well which was good to see.

DC just said Mansfield fouled Lincoln players every 28 seconds we had possession. That sounds incredible. And we end up a man down!
Of the young and new lads, Gordon looked good tonight.
No worries we'll have our fifth formers back for the league game and Mansfield might not be so keen to kick them as much as our first graders. I think O'Connor must have come on at the end to remind them that they haven't played the big boys yet.

The fact that Jamie McCombe came on show that the Cowleys don’t care for the competition that much this year.

Or it might show

Wharton is unavailable
Wilson is injured
Habergham is injured
Shackell and Eards needed a rest before Saturday

McCombe is all we have left- that's why Bozzie started.

Wasn't the best game but took some positives from it-

Gordon got better as the game went on and added some threat to our wide play particularly second half.

Mensah looks promising (on one game viewing) and has some skill and pace about him

Players got some valuable game time under their belts

Mansfield put out close to a full side (as they don't have a game this weekend) and we had 8 changes from Exeter and lost 2-1. Worth a tenner of my money to see Luque, Gordon and Mensah home debut and a Rheady goal.

It's all about the team and our final position in May next year.

I'll be at the Wolves game and may even have a ride out to Glanford Park next month.

So, that was pretty horrible. But, as others have commented, a single piece does not a jig-saw puzzle make. The bigger picture is the League and quite a few players have got game time tonight that will help progress in that department in the medium term.

It might appear to be a bit too much like chess at times but absolutely no-one will complain if we get to L1.

Completely agree. Anything in this competition is a bonus this season. We can’t risk injuries and squad burnout when going for promotion, and most of the reserves proved tonight they are some way off the standard of whatever our first choice XI would be for a league fixture.

Let’s hope for a kind draw in the FA Cup next month as we all know what a run in that can do for a football club.

Am I right in thinking O’Connor isn’t suspended for league fixtures and only for Checkatrade fixtures?

Or it might show

Wharton is unavailable
Wilson is injured
Habergham is injured
Shackell and Eards needed a rest before Saturday

McCombe is all we have left- that's why Bozzie started.

Wasn't the best game but took some positives from it-

Gordon got better as the game went on and added some threat to our wide play particularly second half.

Mensah looks promising (on one game viewing) and has some skill and pace about him

Players got some valuable game time under their belts

Mansfield put out close to a full side (as they don't have a game this weekend) and we had 8 changes from Exeter and lost 2-1. Worth a tenner of my money to see Luque, Gordon and Mensah home debut and a Rheady goal.

It's all about the team and our final position in May next year.

I'll be at the Wolves game and may even have a ride out to Glanford Park next month.
Agree with 90% of that but I think they made 11 changes from their league side so it was pretty much squad from them and us. Judging by the tackles it was wise of DC to keep the powder dry.

After watching tonight's game, I'm not sure we quite have the depth in the squad that many (including myself) thought we had. None of the 8 changes from Saturday were anywhere the standard to press for a place against Crawley.

And Blackburm last week also showed similar conclusions....but the squad players will learn & improve, and it does take time to get players up to the Cowleys level.
Pett a prime example.

After watching tonight's game, I'm not sure we quite have the depth in the squad that many (including myself) thought we had. None of the 8 changes from Saturday were anywhere the standard to press for a place against Crawley.

I remember the young Harford, Hobson and Cockerill plus a slightly older Neale getting relegated in 78/79. They were no doubt much stronger for the experience. Young and inexperienced players out there tonight will have benefitted and so long as it's only one or two as and when required to do a job in the league I am sure they will be just fine with the quality and experience that will be around them.